Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine aren't allergic to corn... as long as they aren't allergic to it, is it truly that bad?

I hear it contributes to Bones & Joints, Dental, Skin and Coat, Immune System, Vision, Digestive System, Muscles, Energy, and is a good source of linolic (forgive me if I spelled that wrong) acid and protein.

Yet so many others say it's terrible fillers and such with no value whatsoever.

I'm confused - are they trying to snow me with the 'there is nothing wrong with corn' stuff or are they telling the truth? :confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldn't say BAD per se, but it is pretty useless. Especially since it's incredibly hard to digest. You can see that in our own.. waste ;)
Since they don't really digest much of it, the nutrients aren't quite useful. Dog foods have other ingredients that provide what you stated above. So I don't see the point in using it. It's just something cheap for dog food companies to use. Plus it just isn't a natural food item for dogs to eat.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Early dogs would have scavenged any leftover food from human settlements, this ability to adapt is partly how they became a separate species from wolves. Dogs can, and do, survive on all manner of foods. Their bodies and digestive systems are still designed to eat other animals though!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
It isn't exactly "bad" for dogs, but it is pretty much a useless filler. Their bodies don't utilize it, so feeding it is pointless. Any food with corn probably contains other bad ingredients as well.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Corn is usually just a filler in dog food. It does not contribute much, basically a waste of space. And it incredibly difficult for dogs to digest. Also, a lot of corn for human consumption is genetically modified. If corn for humans is GM, I can only imagine the kind of crap corn they put in dog food. No thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts