1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Ive found this chart in this forum

Chihuahua weight chart

not quite sure hw to read it, as its oz at the top and pounds at the bottom?

Diego weighs 1438g (weighed today) he is 21 and a half weeks.

Is this underweight? overweight? or ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Converting grams to ounces....

1438 g = 50.7239 oz

So according to the chart, that would put him between 4 - 4.5 pounds as an adult.

However..... these charts are usually off by a pound and sometimes more. There's no way to accurately predict just how big your guy will be, but doubling the 12 week weight and adding a pound usually comes pretty close. Some say to triple the 8 week weight and add .5-1 pound. So much depends on genetics, what you are feeding, etc.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well that's 3 lb 2 oz. That means he's "charting" to be around a 4 lb adult. Realistically you can expect he will stay under or around 5 lbs. That being said, without pictures of him from the top and the side we really can't tell you if he's over or under weight.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is fed on pro plan, but am gonna change it to wat was requested on here once his food has gone.

My girls do give him table foods, bread, cheese, the odd chip which they get told off for.

I will take photos of him now and add them on here..... Thanks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Those charts are old!!! Work for some not for others without knowing your dogs lines you don't know what to expect and also some are throw backs!!! He's a nice weight however like said before we don't know whether hee underweight or overweight without pictures!

He's likely to be a 5lbish adult IF he is optimal weight now

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a pedigree (I think) but not kc registered.

His parents are kc registered, his mum is a long hair chihuahua and his dad is a smoothcoat chihuahua.

The breeder said thaat because of that I can not kc register him. He was fairly cheap for a chihuahua.

Here are the pics

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If he's 3.2 lbs. at 21 weeks, expect him to be around a 6 lb. adult. He could be a bit smaller, or a bit bigger. You never really know. But that is a nice healthy weight for 21 weeks old. He has plenty of growing time left. No way to say if that weight is under or over for his frame without seeing him.

On average, an adult Chi within standard weighs about 5 to 6 lbs.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He is the picture of health. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, he's lovely. Yes chances are he'll be between 4-6lbs. They can surprise you sometimes though. My Marley gained 1/2lb from 5.5mos until now at 14mos. If I'd posted about his weight at 5.5mos (or even before as he was a 2 1/2lb 8 week old) I'm sure I would have gotten loads of "8-9lbs as an adult" guesses. Just goes to show you just never know. :) Oh & btw...2 of my other Chi's are exactly what they charted to be as pups...Mari at between 4.5-5lbs & actually Maxie charted to be 5.5lbs as an adult & is only 4.5lbs. Your pup is adorable though!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
this got me thinking....... why would you breed a LC with a SC.... ?? this may be a stupid question but wouldnt' you want a LC with a LC and a SC with a SC ??? what am I missing??

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lol these threads chuckle me with the size debate

He looks healthy he looks quite tall but pics are so deceiving!!

Best way is to gauge by his parents and his grandparents but like I said there's always a throwback

My lotus is 1 week older than Diego she's 2.9lb I expect her to be 4.5lb I thought shed be 5.5 when I got her but she won't be!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
this got me thinking....... why would you breed a LC with a SC.... ?? this may be a stupid question but wouldnt' you want a LC with a LC and a SC with a SC ??? what am I missing??
Genetics of chihuahua coat... has a great illustration of what the different breedings will getcha.

Okay SC + SC = can either be a litter of all smooth puppies or you can get smooths and longs, or even just longs in the litter.

LC + LC = almost ALWAYS ( like 99 out of 100!) long coated pups. It's generally accepted you won't get any smooths in these litters...but very, very rarely, it does happen. This is the best way to get good coats in the LC puppies. It says it's not possible to get a smooth out of one of these litters, but the breeders I've talked to say that isn't always true.

SC + LC = litter of both coat types, or one coat type!

Its really mostly about picking 2 dogs which best suit each other pedigree wise and physically, and making for a strong genetic match up versus a weak one.

In the UK they can ONLY breed LC to LC or SC to SC. In the US, it doesn't matter.

The coat length/type is a gene. So you aren't going to mix it up, so to say, by breeding a SC w a LC. Some people like the potential of 2 types of puppies versus just one type.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
In the uk yes we aren't allowed to mix coats

Other places you can a smooth can produce both coats if bred to another smooth or a long two longs can only produce longs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts