Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People keep telling me Dixie is mixed with a minpin because of her markings or a jack russel because she's so hyper. She's 10lbs. I got her at 5 weeks and when I took her to the vets at 6 weeks she was 1lb14oz. They told me she wouldn't get over 5lbs haha! How big is too big to be considered a chihuahua? You can look at her pictures and see she's a chihuahua right?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
She looks like a chihuahua; but since they come in so many different shapes and sizes these days it's hard to tell. I've seen mixed breeds closer to the chi standard than some of the purebreds lol.

If you're curious enough you can get a breed DNA test; they usually run less than $100 now and will tell you for sure.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Well, her weight at 6 weeks would have charted her at 6 1/2 lbs as an adult at least... 10 lbs really isn't that big! It is just larger than the chihuahua standard. She looks like a chi to me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dont worry, when I adopted my chi, the staff members said that she was a chi mix, she was only 6 months old and wieghed 4 pounds, now she is 8 months and wiegh 5 pounds. Im guessing that she was also a Min Pin mix with chi.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think the black and tans can sometimes resemble Minpins, esp if they are deer types. One of mine has that body shape and doesnt look like a traditional chi.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody gets called a min pin all the time.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aww she is so cute! She looks like a Chi to me. Shayley is big for a Chihuahua but she's a full Chi. Just not standard. Kizzie could be mixed I'm not sure b/c I adopted her from a shelter but she looks moe like a Chi than Shayley b/c she's so tiny and petite lol I think your cutie looks like a chi to me! =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont worry, when I adopted my chi, the staff members said that she was a chi mix, she was only 6 months old and wieghed 4 pounds, now she is 8 months and wiegh 5 pounds. Im guessing that she was also a Min Pin mix with chi.

Your Chi Mix looks like my Chi Mix. I adopted him (Prince Mickey) from humane society when he was a year old, had him for about 7 months now. We were thinking chi/minpin mix too, but others have said terrier ?? He's definitely a handful! He is so loving but then aggressive too. Thinks he runs everything. He came from Cali from an overpopulated shelter and they surrendered him - I'm guessing from his aggressive behavior. He's bit me many times and wants to fight almost every dog! He's about 8 lbs.

But I wondered what he looked like when he was a baby (so cute).

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can't see your album for some reason, but people ask if my Bella is a min pin too. She is not quite 8 lbs at 1 year old. I think she is full Chi, although she is not AKC registered so we don't really know for sure. Her sister is full black and only 4 lbs, lol.

A lil bit of an older pic of her, but she looks the same, just a lil thicker now. Ignore the eyes.. lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't see your album for some reason, but people ask if my Bella is a min pin too. She is not quite 8 lbs at 1 year old. I think she is full Chi, although she is not AKC registered so we don't really know for sure. Her sister is full black and only 4 lbs, lol.

A lil bit of an older pic of her, but she looks the same, just a lil thicker now. Ignore the eyes.. lol.

very cute - here's a link of photos of Prince and Mika (she's only about 3-4 lbs 6 months old)

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilly0404/PrinceMika

·
Registered
383 Posts
My Kira is a little over 7lbs and she's full chi. We have three of her sisters in our family two are full blood sisters and all three are under 5lbs, we have no idea what happened to Kira LOL. So your little one could be full chi just larger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts