Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is mostly all chihuahuas like this?if some one walks by while I'm holding my angel Missy,she starts going crazy barking and growling at them.She cant stand any one near me.And at camp grounds ,thats not pleasant.I;m glad shes so close to me,but sometimes I do wish she'd let people pet her.Maggie will go to every one and give kisses to every one but not Missy.Im going to try to get pictures on here this week of Maggie Molly Minnie Maisey and Missy

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh Amberleah Lou lou is just like that. I warn every one who wants to pet her no she will bite. I was at store and she had to pee so took her to some grass area, a lady let her 4 year old just run over and was going to pet her. I grab Amberleah and told mother please never do that. You don't know if dog is a biter. I am working on her but she dos not seem to listen to me. I watch Dog whisper and learning some things.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Chico loves people..... kisses.... and will walk up to people just to get lovin'.....
Kody is the opposite.... he doesn't want anyone near him...he doesn't bark or growl... but does not want people petting him....

Chico I have had since he was 12 wks and take him everywhere... Kody I got when he was 8 months old and wasn't socialized much.... I am trying to take him places now but am scared he will nip someone.... my son calls Kody "THE BRAT" ....lol...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
All different - my girl loves to be petted by all & sundry, my blonde boy is wary, watches his sister closely & eventually may move forward for a bit of lovin' but my Tiny, omg, he behaves like he's going to be killed - shuts eyes and shakes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mine are soo different too, i had both of them since 8 weeks. FILA just loves everyone, loves the world, hops all happy like everywhere she goes. Nike is very cautious but will not bite. She'll just keep her distance and hide. If someone comes close and she can't run, she'll freeze in place and shake. Both of them were socialized pretty much the same.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If this mainly happens when you are holding her, you need to put her down. Watch what happens. When we are holding them, they take on our courage and "power". Ruby did the same. Once I was taught this, I put her down and she responded to people and pets much better when she was back on their level.

The sooner you can stop this the better. Be certain that you comfort but do not coddle.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. She is better if I'm not holding her. She's my heart !i had even considered one day getting a poodle but I can't,my heart belongs to chihuahuas !

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No both of mine are lovers and would never bite a hand that will give them love and attention. They love everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is your dog socialized around people? When mine went through his adolescent stage he got a little nippy towards people when around me. A quick "no bark" helps a lot. Also putting them down when they show this behavior teaches them that it's not acceptable. This breed tends to get more possessive of their owners than most other dogs so it's important to socialize them really, really well and get them used to others. Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer helped me a lot in handling my pup's possessiveness. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes shes around people a good bit.I guess i may have just babied her to much due to her skin condition.But Maggie is not like this at all,or Molly.I will try putting her down next time

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nope, Holly is not like this, at least not when I'm holding her. However, I need to take her out more often as she does get a bit shy in unfamiliar areas. It's a different story entirely when I'm walking her around out front. If a stranger drives in she goes off! lol But then again my family and I live on over 30 acres, so she's just trying to protect us. :p

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maggie like I said is like that to people ,loving as can be and wanting kisses. She always has been. But Missy is the opposite. I'm going to keep working on it

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I have two that have never met a stranger and then a shy/fearful one. I'd have said her behavior was something I'd not tolerate either until I actually had one like her. It is harder than that. My human kids who are parents themselves will tell you I was not easy on them but the more shy one did not get better by being forced into behavior I needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Lia does the same thing! Im trying to break her of it and I do put her down when she barks, because its hard to take her places quietly. I think the more you get them out and walking and around other people and animals, the better it will get. I hope...:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts