Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
since the day i got Sissy she's been making noise.. you know how it sounds when people haulk a luegy? or when dogs throw up just a bit? it's that sound / action. no throw up just haulkings etc. Is it a concern? she is currently on anti-biotics for abnormally diluted urine. but the noise was prior to medication. She's on the antibotic till its gone (1-2 weeks) then i have to get a pee sample from right when she wakes up. (oy!!!)

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should get her heart checked / X-Rayed. Zippy makes those sorts of sounds all the time as well as grunting somewhat piglike. It is due to his heart murmer and he is on two types of medications for it as of two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
my last dog Tess made those noises and my vet told me she had a small wind pipe

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It sounds like it might be reverse sneezing. This is fairly common for chihuahuas, some do it daily, others not that often.

You can help her stop it from happening by either closing off her nose by pinching it so she has to inhale thru her mouth, or blowing in her face to try to get her to inhale thru her mouth, or run your thumb and first finger down her throat toward her chest a few times. They stop on their own for the most part but a lot of times they appreciate the help :)

Here is a video of a dog reverse sneezing on youtube:
. Keep in mind its a bit different sounding for all chis. Some don't have episodes like that tho, just a quick reverse sneeze or 2 and they're done.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Gretel has episodes like that but Godric doesn't, it's fairly natural from what I understand.

edited to add, while I think it's unlikely since you said you rescued her and most all rescues test, my future in laws had a nasty bout with their JRT and heartworms and they'd run about gagging and "hocking" like that.

If you're worried consult the vet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's more of a throw up thing she does. not a sneezy thing like that. But the funny thing was that when i played the video, Sissy came over to investigate the sound. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hmmm, do you think maybe she gets fur stuck in her throat from cleaning/licking herself, then tries to hack it up? Sounds, gross, but, could be?

·
Registered
195 Posts
it sounds like the same noise my chis make, it happens alot when they get excited and i have been told by the vets and by both breeders where i got my chi's from that it is normal for small breeds. Our yorkie actually used to do it too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both my dogs reverse sneeze, though Jazz sounds very different than Tango when she does it. If my vet hadn't seen and heard both dogs doing it and confirmed that they were each reverse sneezing, I would have thought they had very different conditions. She told me that this is normal, that it's more common in smaller dogs, and is nothing to worry about.

Neither do it for extended periods like the dog in the video. Just 4 or 5 times maybe, then they're done. And it doesn't happen daily either. Just once every few days. Jazz tends to do it more right after she drinks, and in fact when I was discussing her with the Vet, she asked me before I even had a chance to tell her, if it happened with Jazz after she drinks. I guess my Vet knows what she's talking about!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts