Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until about 2 weeks ago, Angel's been very mellow when feeding, picking up, etc. Now, if I take him from my husbands arms while he is resting, he will growl and bite. (how cute - his lying on top of Susie) Anyway, I know that they go through "adolcense." He also growled and tried to bite when I gently took him away from Susie's food (she is a slow eater). Anyone got any ideas, or should I just be patient til he gets a little older.
I have a feeling with taking him from my husband, could be that his is just holding him tight. He spends about 90% of his life in my husbands arms or lap! Lucky for him we are entering our "slow season" at the shop.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
You must stop this behaviour ,it will get worse if you ignore it.Your husband should say no and put him down immediately,as he spends so much time on his lap he thinks he owns him,no don't be patient act now !

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree... I wouldn't just "wait this out" or it could potentially get a lot worse. Your hubby shouldn't be enabling it either; he needs to chip in too with the discipline. When they go through this stage they do everything to try pushing their limits, its up to you to make sure they know just what those limits are and what you won't tolerate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
One of mine who is one year old is exaclty like this! He likes to sit with my dad,and if you try move him or wake him he growls/bites.He doesnt do it all the time just when hes settled/tired.

I dont think age has much to do with it though,and it will get worse if you dont act. I'm having the same problem though,so any tips :)
Deffo your husband needs to tell him no.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Now is def the time to be strict or else you will have a little monster on your hands.Your hubby needs to put him on the floor the minute he growls or tries to bite and he shouldnt be allowed to try and intimidate your other dog at dinner times. I have a fast eater and I sit next to her at dinner time so I can stop her eating the others food. You really need to stand between them so you can force him away by walking towards him rather then grabbing him (and risk getting bitten).
Although it is a good idea to have a comand or word to use when you are picking him up off of a lap so he is prepared. Some dogs might bit if they were surprised.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Catz4m8z, that's exactly what my obedience instructor said at class Monday night. Even with large dogs (he has German Shepherds), it's a good idea to have a word that lets them know they're going to be lifted, and get them used to being picked up. It would have been great to do that with Kali, had I known; now that she has spondylosis, getting her in and out of the motorhome is going to be a challenge, and she is definitely not down with being picked up!

Believe me, Angel1210, you don't want to let this go on. I wouldn't escalate by any means - you don't need to be at war with your dog - but he needs to know that he's not the pack leader - you are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts