Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a difficult dilema. As some of you know I purchased a 1yr old male about a month ago. I adore gim 2 bits. He is my best friend. I am home 90% everyday but in a few years i will be out even more.

So I have been thinking should I get another chi?
I really would like to breed, healthy pups for loving families. I know I have not had Jack long but I have now realised my dream.

Please help me out.

Zoe and Jack Roo xxxxxxx

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
That is why I got another to have a friend for my buddy. Of course I would have lots if I could :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Its a great idea to have a buddy for your chi!
As far as breeding I would reccommend you PM KJsChihuahuas. She is a breeder and a vet tech and knows a gread deal about the breeding world. I have been wanting to breed chihuahuas for a couple years now and still dont feel that I am ready. I am in no way telling you not to, but please do the research first and be honest with yourself - are you and your family ready for that responsibility.

Again, not incouraging or discrouraging :D Do ask KJs :wink:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thank you Angel :D I have looked for the long post that I posted about breeding. Do you think you could find it faster than me?

Fairy,

I would like to say first off, I think getting a another Chi would be great for Jack. However you just said you are home now 90% but wont be in the future correct? Well let me say this, if you wont be home in the future I would strongly suggest you do not breed. Puppies and pregnant bitches need ALOT of work and you have to be there. And not to mention it is VERY expensive to breed. And you dont breed to give puppies homes, You breed to enhance the Quality of the breed :wink: . I am hoping Angel can find that post I broke it all down for someone on the cost. :)

I dont mean to burst your bubble but I would really reconsider! :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Definatley a good idea to have a little mate for your Chi tho they get up to mischeif together :wink: :lol:

But if u cant be around all the time Im sure he'd appreciate the friend

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Okay I found it KJ! Before you read this Iamafariy just remember this was to another member on the forum and the discussion was heated...we are not lecturing you so just take out of this post the information she wrote :wink: (also KJ i edited it just a tad to remove anything that was said souly to the member you said this too
1. Have to AT LEAST 600-800 in savings JUST in case your female goes into labor in the middle of the night and needs a emergency C-section.

2. Vet checks every month on your female to check her progress and health 200 a month for 2 months.

3. X-rays twice to check the size of puppies and number 120.00

4. Food you have to buy, Chicken, Cottage cheese, eggs, rice females need extra calories and calcium when they are pregnant and High quality dog food- 150 dollars a month for 4 months (cause she needs this 58-63 days she is pregnant and while she is nursing).

5. Vet checks, Health certificates and vaccinations for the puppies (vet check)after birth and vaccinations and vet check at 8 weeks. - 300.00

6. And about 30 dollars to register the litter with AKC.

And your GRAND TOTAL IS: $2,250 Now if she only has 1 pup cause I bet thats all she will have being that small and I GUARANTEE if she is that small she will either not make it and die due to a ruptured uterus or she will have to have a c-section.
The reason I breed is to inhance the quailty of the breed, and to show not for money

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
breeding

:lol: :lol: waauw, that's probably why viper was from hungary :!: :!:
chihuahua's are so wanted these days...and if you breed on the right way you can never make any money out of it...... i don't want to know how some people try to breed chi's and make money out of it :cry: :cry:
i'm getting a second one also (certainly not for breeding) but i'm still wondering what my boy would like most a boy or a girl??

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
It is said if you get a second dog to get the oposite s ex as the dog u have now. They will have a much better chance getting along.
With that said I have three girls and they get along fine. 8)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo

Yeah i was thinking of getting him a ladyfriend :love3:

but i like boys ssooo much, i don't know why....

i think i have to forget any preferences and just look at what my hart says, when the time comes (maybe this saturday)
or are two males really looking for trouble....??

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I dont think so. I am sure you are planning on neutering them anyway so that will help.
My mom has two male papillons and they have only fought (i mean really fought) twice, both times over a treat.
Like you said you will know which dog to get when the time comes 8) You planning on looking this saturday?? How exciting!! :D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OOOOOOOOOOOOh I don't know

Well.... awwwww I really wanted to breed. I have the money because my grandad has money and he has said that all expenses will be taken care of by him. So... I dont know, when I say I wont be around in the future so much that is 4 yrs on so...

I understand that I must do ALOT of research and oviously I am not going to jump straight into it all. Plus my breeder friend says she wil help me 100%.

Can you tell me your opinions plz!

Ahhhhhhhhh

Zoe and Jack xxxxxx

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Well I gave you my opinion hun :D I just think you really have to be careful, you should never breed just to make puppies you breed to enhance the quality of the breed. This is why some of these dogs are turning out to be very aggressive because of the inexperience of some breeders. Please reconsider :?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Imafairy to be honest, my mum bred staffs over the years and what we went through with some of the pups was devestating. Its not all little cute fur babies running around the place, it can be quite stressful, and thats with staff let alone small chihuahuas. I think kj has some very very useful infomation and I would seriously take her advice. Plus seeing some of the things my mum had to go through, I really wouldnt consider breeding a dog myself untill Im alot alot more older, and am capable of dealing with it 100% and thats including expensives. It would be a different story I think if it was your parents that really wanted to breed, but judging from your story I beleive its you?!?! Correct me if im wrong please!
Plus theres plenty of time in the world to get into things like that, but its not a game (not saying you think its a game) its just they are little lives your dealing plus the mommy, and Im sure you havent evan finished school?!
I think if you really want to, its something you should consider for the future.
Im sooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry if anything i said imafairy upset you, I really am, but i just wanted to state my opinion. :oops:

But I must ad if ever you do breed pups I'd absolutly love to see them :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Both of my boys absolutely adore each other!! They are great buddies! Both of them are neutered so not any "male dominance " issues. :) They love my little female also. But, she is definately the BOSS!! :roll: :wink:
Bruiser is supposed to the the "Alpha Male"---he does not get much respect! :lol:

sandra

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
chi-girl

that's what i'm a bit afraid of.... bitches can be such bitches sometimes :wink: :wink:
i've put a deposit on a girl and i'm going to look for her tomorrow but if it doesn't work out, i can hold my deposit for next time
so it's fifthy fifthy that i have a chi-girl tomorrow or not.

kisses nat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts