Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up Ninja's crate back up tonight as I was cleanign about the house and found he's been pissing all over the house yellow stains on the rug and on my hard wood floor which has now been ruined in spots :foxes15: not impressed or sure why he's doing that now but he's going to be cage bound until I can correct this behaviour!! Anyways I have Prada here at my house for 2 1/2 weeks and I don't want to leave her out while I'm at work , tonight I shut the two of them in the crate and they seemed fine It's big enough to fit a big bed and the 2 of them where they can stand up turn around etc I was only gone out for 2 hours tho for dinner but i work 8 hour shifts plus travel time so it's kinda long. I only have 1 crate here should I be crating them separate? I don't know if it's mean putting them both in there they are lovers so they don't mind cuddling. I was thinking of going and grabbing another one. Does anyone double crate?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
No, I never crate them together. As well as they normally get along, even as
littermates, a fight can break out. I just don't trust it...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I put all three of mine in a crate meant for medium sized dogs, but have also all been in one for small breeds only. They all love it, and snuggle happily together at night.

If they don't mind, it shouldn't be a problem :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm I really don't think they would ever get in a fight they never ever have they are so in love all they do is kiss and when she's not here I show Ninja pictures of her and he gets sooooo excited they are both so submissive they don't get aggressive over toys, food or treats ever.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Are you going to crate them for more than an 8 hour day with no breaks while you
are at work? Is there any way someone could come in to give them a break at midday?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, my parents are gone away for 2 weeks and 1 week me and my b/f will be on the same shift so there will be no break which is why i'm crating them so they don't tear up the whole house and the second week we're on opposite shifts. I work for 3 days then off for 2 then my hubbys off for 2 so i guess it would only be crated the 8hrs for 3 days.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We leave Betty & Goose in the "dog area" which contains pee pads, a couple beds, and some room to move.. I'd say the size of a greatdane kennel. I wouldnt leave two dogs in a small crate together, though. I think they need to be able to move away from one another.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I used to let them sleep together on a huge dog bed that was gated off in the room. They were fine for a long time, but Lily became growly towards the other chi's when they would move around. I think she just wanted her own space, and I didn't want anything to happen even though they all get along.
Better safe than sorry.
They all have their own crate, well it's actually two crates with a divider in the center, and they are very happy. They can still lay next to each other and give each other kisses if they want.
Maybe someone can come and give them a bathroom break and a chance to stretch during your workday.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the pics and they will have fresh water in there I have the bowl that screws onto the bars just not in the photos as I don't like to have water in the room at night to prevent accidents.

I usually just lock them in a room when I'm out but I'm trying to prevent them from peeing everywhere last ngiht there was pee in my bed on the floor etc and someone was here all day letting him out. I don't want him to have enough room to roam around and pee.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baby is here also but she will not be crated as she would go insane and probably break all her teeth on the bars lol plus she would probably start a fight as she is independent and would prefer to be an only child or prefer to be alone so she will be in the same room just have free roam because she can hold her bladder all day and won't pee. I know it sounds mean cuz they will see her walking around freely but I have no patience to be washing my bed sheets everyday or to keep steaming my floors washing down the walls etc. I thought about locking them in the bathroom because it's tile but I don't want him to be able to have the freedom liek that he hasn't earned it and I'm trying to break him from the pee pads also as we have always kept one in our spare room because he's afraid of wind and rain so he can go on there but he's going to be 3 years old soon I want him to become fully housebroken and not have to keep the stinky pee pads in the house anymore. Maybe I'll go grab another crate then.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yes, way too small for 10 hours. Is there a room, maybe the bathroom that you can keep them in so they have room to walk around, drink, eat, etc?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He won't understand that he is being scolded for peeing by being put in the crate for so long. You will have to catch him in the act and put him outside, or on the pad as it happens. 5 minutes after it happens he has no recollection of why he's in the crate. :( IMO that is way too long to be crated, and such a confined space. Not trying to be rude, I hope it doesn't sound that way.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Well just know that you might come home to a soiled cage, and two stressed chihuahua's. IMO the bathroom is your best bet. :)
Good luck.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree, I'd put them in the bathroom so at least they have room to move around. That crate is hardly big enough for one, let alone two. Personally, I think it's cruel to keep a dog in a cage for 8+ hours a day. I may be in the minority there, but that's a long time to be without food/water/breaks.

Could you gate off the kitchen or some other room if the bathroom doesn't work?

Is the dog that is urinating everywhere neutered?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He won't understand that he is being scolded for peeing by being put in the crate for so long. You will have to catch him in the act and put him outside, or on the pad as it happens. 5 minutes after it happens he has no recollection of why he's in the crate. :( IMO that is way too long to be crated, and such a confined space. Not trying to be rude, I hope it doesn't sound that way.
I'm not punishing him by putting him in the crate all day I'm preventing him from peeing all over the house he NEVER EVER does it when we can see him obviously I always find the dried up yellow stains later or the pee smelling blanket later there is no possible way to catch him doing it. He knows it's bad thus why he will NEVER do it near us or in our sight. I have never seen him do it not even once.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts