Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this just me or has it become harder to sell puppies? I have a litter that I have been advertising since birth. They are now 9 weeks old and I still have no interests. Even After I have lower their prices multiple times. I also have notice a couple of breeders have shut down their sites. Has anyone else been having the same problem. And if so is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Not that I know of. Breeding is a real coin toss. Unless you are a serious breeder and show your dogs, these are just run of the mill chi's. Maybe a rescue can help you. Most good breeders don't let their pups go until they are 12 weeks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yes, most puppies are harder to sell nowdays. I have had all my girls spayed except 2. The mills are dumping dogs right and left. Texas new law just passed and 50 maltese and 41 King Charles Spaniels were dumped on side of the road near Dallas. Shelters are over flowing. I cant even find homes for my fosters.
My grooming business is slower than its been in 30 yrs. My clients dogs are dying and they are not replacing them due to the economy.

pam in TX

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Too many dogs in shelters (Kill shelters) needing to be adopted! News channels promoting the needs for these dogs. Humane society advertising much more than ever before. Economy definitely playing a big role. People loosing homes & leaving pets to die inside of homes. As much as I would love to buy a puppy chi, my views have changed to saving a life of one in a shelter or unwanted home should I ever want another. Too many breeders out there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Too many dogs in shelters (Kill shelters) needing to be adopted! News channels promoting the needs for these dogs. Humane society advertising much more than ever before. Economy definitely playing a big role. People loosing homes & leaving pets to die inside of homes. As much as I would love to buy a puppy chi, my views have changed to saving a life of one in a shelter or unwanted home should I ever want another. Too many breeders out there.

You hit that right on..:coolwink: There is sooooooooooo many in shelters that need new loving carring homes and yes alot of people/backyard breeders/ mills/ ect. ect. are just dumping these poor babies. I could go on and on about this subject..:mad:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I was going to say the same...this and the fact that there are a lot of people with money troubles who would rather adopt then spend a lot of money. I am sorry you are having trouble selling yr pups...times are changing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Adopting a dog can be a crap-shoot, it could have come from a puppy mill in the first place and have all the health problems (and subsequent cost to fix them) that come with that scene. My next puppy will be from a GOOD breeder that tries to uphold the breed standards and health. I have rescued in the past and purchased from breeders, at this point I would rather pay up front to a GOOD responsible breeder than go through the heartache of adopting one that isn't. Just my own soap box having been on both sides of the coin in my experience. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Mmmmm I can only really say what I see locally. Chi's coming in locally to shelters here isn't all that common. They are importing Chi's to our shelters here from out west which I think is great. But I have seen some bigger BYB's here slowing down on their litters because their puppies just aren't selling. Which to me is also great thing! I do have a breeder friend in our state that continues to sell her puppies & do well...and she doesn't ship. (though she has folks coming in from out of state to pick up her pups) Only thing I can see that makes a difference is she is breeding from decent lines, has some nice looking Chi's & has a great reputation.

I think you will always have the pet person who wants to buy from a breeder as opposed to adopting from a shelter. (I happen to be one of them) But folks are becoming more educated on what to look for in a breeder even when looking for a pet....and they are learning what to stay away from. I'm not saying you are one to stay away from (I really have no idea what you are breeding so it is unfair for me to say either way LOL)...but I'm just saying I think/hope people are just getting smarter. That will be the only way shelter population starts to lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts