Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so, when I was buying Bryco (who is from merle free lines), the breeder had two other litters as well, and there was a little merle boy in there and I picked him up and looked him over and he was just the most stunning little thing.

I know there is a ton of controversy around merles, but talking to the breeder, he said he in 10 years of breeding them (separate lines) has never once had a problem and he keeps in touch with each person that's bought them. He breeds them for personal preference and as I said, keeps his merle lines completely separate from the others as he knows many people don't agree with their breeding. I know some people won't even agree with the fact that I bought Bryco from someone that breeds merles, lol...but ANYWAY...

I couldn't believe how beautiful the little guy was (personally I even thought they were really ugly beforehand, from pictures I'd seen), and started asking about them, and someday I'd really like to have one. Based on what I've read and learned, I personally wouldn't breed them, but they should be just fine for a pet, right, if its from someone who knows what they're doing? Its colors were just so...fascinating. It was white with a merle mask, probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. He had a litter of 3 day old merle pups and seriously, I've never seen anything like them, either jet black with merle spots / masks or pure white with merle spots / masks and only one little completely merle. I didn't know they could "come" like that, haha.

What do you think?

And hahaha really, I am NOT getting one anytime soon. I know I said that before lol, but really. Right now I need to put all my time and energy into training and working with the two young ones I've got =)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a blue merle girl....I love merles.....nothing anyone can say will put me off merles and whats more I am hoping she will have puppies sometime this year x

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I would love to have a merle, I think they are absolutely stunning. In fact there has just popped up on the pound website a brown merle little boy that needs a home. And a brindle girl, but that is besides the point. :) I may go down there just to see him...

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I think Merles are lovely too and if from a good Breeder who knows what they are doing then i dont see the problem.
They are very few and far between here, so i always love seeing pics of peoples on this site.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are kind of "speckled" chihuahuas, if you will. Some are that way over their whole bodies while others have patches of speckles on a solid coat. There are blue merles and I think a different color of them. The ones I saw were white pups or black pups with patches or mask of the speckled fur in a gorgeous silver/black/white/small bit of tan patterns.

Here's a merle puppy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
They are kind of "speckled" chihuahuas, if you will. Some are that way over their whole bodies while others have patches of speckles on a solid coat. There are blue merles and I think a different color of them. The ones I saw were white pups or black pups with patches or mask of the speckled fur in a gorgeous silver/black/white/small bit of tan patterns.

Here's a merle puppy:

ohhh o.k. cute :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I love the looks of (most) merles! Especially the ones with a white stripe & "eye brows". ;) IMO I'd get a merle Chi as a pet if it was from good lines & bred carefully. Wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

LOL...good luck not getting another soon. I know how challenging that can be!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think some are very pretty but if you want to show I would wait to get one even as a pet. I know here in the usa akc allows merles to be shown but if you have them or breed them some people won't buy from you or stick their noses up and won't talk to you.
I know merle is a big issue in the UK and a few other places. I personally think having a merle as a pet is your choice and I don't look at colors only personality and quality. I have many merle breeder friends, but I don't have merle lines in my chis either.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think they are just beautiful. But I can see why the UK is quite anti merle at the moment. Given all the bad breeders cropping up everywhere and the potential health risks.
But I would love one just as a pet.:D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think some are very pretty but if you want to show I would wait to get one even as a pet. I know here in the usa akc allows merles to be shown but if you have them or breed them some people won't buy from you or stick their noses up and won't talk to you.
I know merle is a big issue in the UK and a few other places. I personally think having a merle as a pet is your choice and I don't look at colors only personality and quality. I have many merle breeder friends, but I don't have merle lines in my chis either.
Oh, it won't be for awhile if I get one. Right now I have a little boy I am hoping to show, then we'll be getting a girl, hopefully having some puppies, and it 4-6 years I might consider another pure pet dog as my youngest two pets will be getting up there in years. We'll see =) I don't want them in my lines but I guess I just really thought they were beautiful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts