Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am telling you, Libby is a nut! She will be fine one minute and then be a terror the next. Here are somethings she does..

1. The girls both sleep in seperate crates at night and they are both in my room because I live in a small apartment with a roommate who would prefer them in here with me at night. But anyways, occasionally, if Libby hears me move positions in my bed, she growls and barks.

2. When I go to put Libby in her crate, she gets in, turns around, and growls like she is going to bite. I have to hurry up and lock it or else she goes nuts if I am around it too long.

3. Food..DO NOT go near her when she has food. She will bite, believe me, I know first hand. If you are in the same room as her and she has her food, she will put many pieces in her mouth and then go to a corner, spit them out, and eat. If you come near her, she freaks.

4. Because it is so cold out, I like to take the girls to Petsmart every so often so they can get out and walk and be socialized. Well, yesterday I couldn't even get Libby's harness on. I got bit and she went crazy. It's impossible to put anything like a collar of harness on her.

5. She constantly "dances" on Bella! Bella just sits there and takes it, but it drives me bonkers! She also stands over her..dominance. This has been going on for a while now.

6. I cannot leave them out alone together anymore. They fight and I have to split them up. It's horrid.

7. Bella has always been potty trained, but this past month, Bella will go right next to the wee pad and Libby goes on it. So, when I come home, I am greeted with a nice suprise.

Libby was scheduled to get spayed before she went into heat, but go figure, she started a few days before the scheduled surgery. She is now scheduled for Feb. 18, or next Friday. I feel as though it is my fault because I should have gotten her spayed a long time ago. These things never showed up in her until I moved to a new apartment and then she took a complete 180.

I feel as though she is a very scared dog..or shows fear aggression and I have no idea why. When she was younger, I took her everywhere to get used to things. At times, I don't know if I can deal with her anymore. I have scabs all over my hands from her biting me and I feel like she stresses out Bella too. They are complete opposites when it comes to temperment. I would love to get a trainer for Libby, but I am in college, about ready to graduate and can't afford one until next fall when I get a "real" teaching job. I just never thought that I would ever have a dog like this and it is so disheartening.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, she hates to be cuddled. If you pick her up and try to cuddle, she tightens up her feet and resists away from you..It's so weird.

But, she does have her sweet moments..it's just odd to me. I wonder if she has a chemical imbalance or something.

One more question..Haha, Is it normal for her eyes to always be glaring red? Maybe she is the devil's dog..Ha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You know they DO have prozac for dogs...

It sounds like you kind of have hit the nail on the head, part of it might be fear based, part of it might be an imbalance of some sort, and part of it may just be she is a dominant dog.

I wish I had some advice to offer, but I have failed at reforming the behaviour of my hubby's oldest dog miserably and she exhibits a lot of the same behaviours as Libby does. So :-/...hopefully someone here has something to offer.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know they DO have prozac for dogs...

It sounds like you kind of have hit the nail on the head, part of it might be fear based, part of it might be an imbalance of some sort, and part of it may just be she is a dominant dog.

I wish I had some advice to offer, but I have failed at reforming the behaviour of my hubby's oldest dog miserably and she exhibits a lot of the same behaviours as Libby does. So :-/...hopefully someone here has something to offer.
Thank you for your help! It is really stressful. I look back at puppy videos and it makes me want to cry because I never ever thought this would be where i'd end up. I've talked to her breeder about her and she simply said to breed her and that would "make her better"..NO WAY..there is no way I would breed a dog..#1 I am NOT knowledgeable about it and #2 She has a horrible temperment. She needs Ceasar Milan or something..haha. I took her to get groomed and it was so embarrassing..I told them beforehand that she would need a muzzle because she WILL bite and they said, "No, she is fine." I told them that I did not want to be liable for her biting them because I told them beforehand to put a muzzle on her..Luckily, they liked her, but she did attempt to bite them..So embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Dogs aren't broken forever dear.

You said you just moved? Gretel freaked when we moved and she was very agitated at us for the first little bit.

Not quite to the point of scabs or anything but she growled and snarled a few times.

I hope you get this worked out, don't give up on her :]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dogs aren't broken forever dear.

You said you just moved? Gretel freaked when we moved and she was very agitated at us for the first little bit.

Not quite to the point of scabs or anything but she growled and snarled a few times.

I hope you get this worked out, don't give up on her :]
I moved in September and she is progressively getting worse and worse. It's sad:( It is so strange..She is really happy right now and wagging her tail wanting to see me..and then she just flips all of sudden..I don't want to give up, it is just so hard because I've been dealing with it for months:(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I moved in September and she is progressively getting worse and worse. It's sad:( It is so strange..She is really happy right now and wagging her tail wanting to see me..and then she just flips all of sudden..I don't want to give up, it is just so hard because I've been dealing with it for months:(
I understand :( sometimes as owners, and I would guess as parents, there is just a tolerance to frustration.

Before we moved getting Gretel to wee on her potty pad was a nightmare. Literally lowering my quality of life. Then we moved and she transitioned to outside potty consistently, now since the cold has set in she's gotten lazy and wee'd on my floor a few times and i've about had it, she's also getting progressively more aggressive toward Godrics food, but he couldn't care less if she ate all his food, I don't get it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Well I've chatted with you about her before, given you ideas, tips etc.
If she is still not coming around, not sure what to say.
I have one of those as well.. eventually you will need to decide what to do?

How is she with men now?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Oh no, I hate to hear you're having so many problems. Looks are so deceivig, she looks like such a little angle. I doubt I could give you any dvice you haven't already tried.
When my dogs do the dominace thing I put them on their side and hold them there till they calm down and pet and talk to the other dog while I hold them. It has worked well for me.
For the food thing, have you tried to make her sit or stay before you give her any? I'm sure you've probably tried it but "work for what she gets"?
Hope you can work thru her issues, she is just so cute. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would carry a magazine or newspaper & everytime she exhibits bad behavior slap your hand and tell her "NO." As for feeding time, I would hold the food bowl while she eats and have the magazine in my other hand. She should learn that she can trust you won't take her food and stop the growling. As for bed time, could you put a night light by her crate and your bed, so when you move she can see you? She is scared to death. When you move in the bed & she starts growling, talk to her. Tell her it's o.k. Go to sleep. Reassure her that it's you. I would also spend a little more play time with her. Lay on the floor with her & throw a ball or something. Let her come to you, but call her to you and cuddle her when ever she lets you.
You need to be firm when she does bad behavior so she'll stop.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pedro exhibited some of the behaviour that you've listed when we first got him, but he was 3 years old, and came from an abusive situation. I don't know what would make your little one change her behaviour at this point, but his bad behaviour was solely from fear. It took alot of patience and alot of work on our part, but he's so much better now.

Basically, we had to show him that it was okay to trust a human, and that we would protect him.

He still has a few kinks, but no one who knew him before can believe how much he's changed.

He still growls if I roll over and disturb him during his sleep, but he used to growl AND bite.

He's still cautious of men that he doesn't know well, but loves my husband and son in law. He gets a little nervous around my son, but my son is covered in tattoos and is a big guy, and I think those are things that set him off.

I don't know how you would reprogram the behaviour of a dog you've had that long, unless it's a control issue.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Oh no, I hate that you are having this trouble :-( Luna was very dominent in the beginning and we struggled with it. My hubby had to take over and become "the boss". He began being the one to deal with her when she misbehaved and then had me stand with him to show her that I was to be included in being the boss. Now she is MUCH better and shows not one shred of dominance towards ANY of us lol she has learned her place with the humans lol with the other dogs however, Luna is the boss. It took time though and constant and consistant correction when she misbehaved.
Cujo was like that with the food so what I did was feed him from my hand so he knew the food was MINE and I was giving to HIM. Then I would hold the food in my hand and pat him on the head and muzzle while he was eatting it. Then I started putting it down in his spot and patting him on the head and muzzle as he ate and now he is totally fne. He knows I am GIVING him the food and not trying to take it away. Good luck hun :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you taken her to the vet and done any testing? I belong to another dog forum and I know some dogs that have thyroid problems or brain tumours can exhibit very "bi-polar" type behaviours and act out aggressively.

Something to check into if training isn't working and sometimes its better to rule a health condition out because then it is not the dogs fault or your fault for lack of training or socialization. (And I am not suggesting you have been slacking in the training or socialization it just may appear so to people who do not know you and would cause your embarassement at the grooms :cool:)

Good luck
Jenna

1 - 13 of 13 Posts