Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone. My boyfriend and I are on the search for our perfect Chihuahua puppy. I have my heart set on a shorthair female applehead. We came across an ad today with this picture of 3.5 week old puppies for sale, ready to leave on May 12th. Is it possible to tell whether they will be applehead or deerhead this young? We have mailed the breeder and asked if they had any pictures of the parents. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what they think these puppies might look like as adults, if it's even possible to tell, while we wait for a response. Here is the picture:

I think the head shape and face of Vitsippa is the cutest, but I like the coloring/markings of Tussilago. What do you guys think? The shorthair females are Vitsippa, Tussilago, and Snövit.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Oh, wow, they are absolutely adorable!

My guess, and it's strictly a guess, is that they will not have the pronounced stop and short muzzle which is what I think you mean by applehead. I am basing this guess on various puppies I have seen online at young ages that did appear to already show those traits at a pretty young age.

I will be curious to see what some of the more knowledgeable folks on here think. And please, go by the opinion of someone who knows what they are talking about. I surely don't but I still enjoy being part of the conversation!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
These will not be typey apple headed puppies. The slope on the head is too great and they do not have the 90 degree stop and short muzzle you are looking for in an apple head. Still cute obviously, but they will have longer muzzles and a more sloped head (rather than a domed head).

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response, Terri! Ah, yes, the "pronounced stop and short muzzle" type of look is exactly what I mean. There's a few Chis here, including Taz, that I'm absolutely in love with. Her face is just so cute! I'd like to find a Chihuahua with similar traits, I just have no idea how to spot them that young.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Here's a pic of the "look" you should be seeing in a puppy that age if you are wanting the correct head type.

Is there a chihuahua club in your country? I would be looking for a breeder who shows her dogs. You are more likely to find the correct head at a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the image! I'm not really sure, to be honest. I just moved here recently. I know it's possible to search Swedish Kennel Club registered breeders through the SKC website, but those show Chis always range from $2000-$2500. We're hoping to find a girl around $1500 right now.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are SKC registered Chihuahuas listed from time to time that are between $1300 and $1500, but it's a matter of them being near enough to us. We don't have a car, so we have to travel by bus/train to get to any breeder out of town. It seems that the majority of Chihuahuas puppies come from the southern tip of the country, which is over 10 hours travel time from here. The pickings are kind of slim in and near our county.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Kitty! Your pups are so cute! I think we will probably keep looking then. I have seen pet quality Chi breeders that have had definite applehead puppies for sale like the picture of the ones Tracy posted, but they have all been too far away from where we live. I guess I just have to stay patient!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the reference! That's exactly what I was hoping to see from someone. Not exactly the look I'm personally looking for, but Daisy is still very cute! I would agree she looks like a mix between apple and deer.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the response, Terri! Ah, yes, the "pronounced stop and short muzzle" type of look is exactly what I mean. There's a few Chis here, including Taz, that I'm absolutely in love with. Her face is just so cute! I'd like to find a Chihuahua with similar traits, I just have no idea how to spot them that young.

Thank you for saying Taz is cute! She certainly isn't to standard. Her muzzle is quite long and she isn't even registered but here is a picture of her at six weeks so you can kind of see how the puppy head compares to the adult head. Oddly, her stop looks more pronounced now than it did then - maybe its the angle of the photo. I wasn't even sure she was a purebred chi but since I would have been okay with a mix it wasn't an issue for me.

I tried to choose a shot from the side so you could see the length of the muzzle.

In the United States, it possible to find a chi with a head more to standard who doesn't come from a show breeder, as some of the others have said. If you want a pup who comes close to the standard overall, not just the head, as Tracy said you are more likely to find that from a show breeder. I do not know what the puppy availability situation is like there but I wish you good luck and enjoy the search! It took me almost six months to find Taz. I actually sort of miss looking for puppies but I am afraid to look anymore as two chi's and one obnoxious shepherd puppy is our limit according to my husband. :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thank you for the reference! That's exactly what I was hoping to see from someone. Not exactly the look I'm personally looking for, but Daisy is still very cute! I would agree she looks like a mix between apple and deer.
No problem :)
I started out looking for an apple head too. But I saw Daisy, fell head over heels in love and never cared that she wasn't a perfect apple. You never know what you'll fall for ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Here's a pic of Kahlua; she isn't "to standard" but still has the apple head and defined stop. She just has a longer muzzle; and that's my favorite look in chihuahuas lol. Don't know if it'll help at all with your search, but here's a comparison pic of how Kahlua looked as a puppy; and adult...

Baby Lua:

Teen Lua:

(Still my baby ;) today!!!) Lua:

Side profiles:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.