Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the vets today to ask what time i can give Darla her last meal for the day since she has the vets for her spay at 9am, and was told nothing after 8pm.
Fair enough, but does that mean no water at all either till the vets?
I was too quick on the phone and am so nervous about it i ddnt even think to ask.
I am assuming they mean not a thing after 8.
I just worry she will be dehydrated.
Am so worried all round to be honest, as you all know. lol
I cant even eat dinner myself today.
My poor wee girl will want to take a chunk outa me by the time this is all over. :) she will be bloomin starvin!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My vet always says nothing after 8pm but the water can be left down and picked up in the morning,then make sure they do a poo & Wee before you take them in.Good luck i'm sure all will be ok,but it's not a nice thing to leave your baby with somebody else.I remember it well

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michele.
I am tryin not to stress too much, but it's hard.
I will so want to shower her with kisses when am leaving here there but i know that's not a good thing and may upset her, but to just walk away seems cold.
Oh it's horrible!

They will be doing a pre op check first so i can stay for that at least.
I dont intend to go till just before they take her in if i can help it. lol
I just hope they dont have her in a crate on her own for ages till the op.
I just wish this was ta my own vets place, cause i know them all well there and they are so lovely to my girls.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It's no food after 8 pm and no water after midnight as there is a chance of the anesthesia making them throw up. When they are all woosey after surgery, you don't want to take the chance of them throwing up before fully coming around. They will not dehydrate in that little time. With an empty stomach, it is just safer for them. Good luck, I am sure she will do just fine.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, so i will just leave the water down till we go to bed then.
She doesnt tend to drink first thing when she gets up anyway, as soon as she wakes, it's pee, poo and wants back on my lap to sleep some more. lol
We will be getting up earlier than normal anyway so she will be wanting to catch some extra zzzzzz's haha!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
You sound just like me, I'm a big worrier too so I sympathize. I'm sure all will go fine though, good luck. :) xx

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Good luck tomorrow, this time tomorrow night you will have her home for cuddling and it will all be over!

With Poppy it was just no food after 8, but she could drink what she wanted (which isn't much anyway! lol)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.
Appreciate all the support.
She had a nice dinner earlier, her Acana with some chicken breast mixed in, the cooked kind lol
She is on my lap now asleep, bless her.
Blissfully unaware of what tomorrow brings. xx

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best of luck for tomorrow! I was a wreck when Rico had his lp surgery 2 weeks ago. Everything turned out great tho. I'm sure everything will be fine too. I was told nothing to eat after midnight, water in the morning was fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts