Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lorretta has learned she has a great jump and she loves to do it. She jumps off the back of the couch, I have bought a hola hoop for her to jump threw hopeing this would stop her jumping off the back of the couch. Well she loves to jump threw the hola hoop but still jumps off the back of the couch. Is it safe for her to be jumping from such a high place??? She loves doing it.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so up until recently when I took Bu to the vet. She reminded me not to let him jump off anything high (I'm supposing high is relative) because their thin little legs are easily broken. I quit letting him jump off our bed as it sits fairly high.

My thoughts previously were that a dog would instinctively know what they are capable of doing without causing injury, now I'm not so sure. I'll be interested in reading the posts for this.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
But my question is, how can you train them not to. At least for me, I can't be watching her 24/7. She's really quick. Also, would having a doggie step make it better since it makes the jump not as high? That's what I do for my bed, but she only uses it to go up, and when she wants down, she just jumps down. I don't know how I would prevent this though. I always thought that dogs would be able to judge whether or not they can make it at a certain height. I mean, my baby doesn't try to jump if it's really high, but that's just her.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You need to be creative and find a way to keep her from doing it. They make stuff to keep dogs off of couches. If that's what it takes, use it and don't let her on the couch.
Think of the alternative, it only takes one bad jump to break a leg. Would you rather try to train her not to do it or take the chance she'll break her leg?
A broken leg is quite painful. And then there's the vet bill....

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
i think if shes been doing it fine for this long then shell be fine. and i have doggie steps and they dont like to always use them to get down. i think it depends on the chi :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah we lowered our bed onto the floor so it isn't high, we also removed the legs on the couch but it is still high off the back. I don't think steps would help because she does it for fun, she'll do it over and over again. I am going to try telling her no and if that don't work then I'll find some thing else to try. I don't want my Baby to get hurt. The other thing she does that worries me is jumping up off the floor, she can jump as high as I am tall. I have been trying to get her to stop that but so far she hasn't. She just LOVES to jump.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
*Tiffany* said:
i think if shes been doing it fine for this long then shell be fine. and i have doggie steps and they dont like to always use them to get down. i think it depends on the chi :D
I agree. I think it depends on the chi because I think I would be alot more worried if my other chi was doing it (the one that has long slender legs), but I guess I'm not as worried with my other chi because she's got shorter and more muscular legs (*knock on wood). But like you all said, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lorretta had long skinny legs. She has even started to jump over the baby gates, she just plain loves to jump. I really got to find away to stop her before she gets hurt. She only started all this jumping about a week ago when she first jump onto the back of the couch then jumped off, she really must have enjoyed it because now she just jumps all the time. It really does scare me because her legs are very long and skinny.

·
Registered
795 Posts
kimmiek915 said:
I agree. I think it depends on the chi because I think I would be alot more worried if my other chi was doing it (the one that has long slender legs), but I guess I'm not as worried with my other chi because she's got shorter and more muscular legs (*knock on wood). But like you all said, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

I also agree. Our vet says the most crucial time in there lives to worry about knee problems or anything to that sort is when they are 5 months to a 1 year. Then their percentage is extremely lowered in a chance to really hurt themselves.

Just think about it too though, to her jumping off the back of the couch would be like you jumping out of a pretty decently high tree every single day, one day you might get hurt, just like she might land wrong and get hurt.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I personally don't think it is a very good idea to let them jump off furniture, ect. My last chi, Ricky seriously injured his neck as a result of jumping off our my bed. I have never allowed any of our furbabes since sleep in our bed since. Its not worth taking the chance of them possibly being injured in my book.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Wow, this thread has been an eye-opener. Dolly LOVES to jump as well...and my bed is high. She has always jumped off it, including the day after her spay (made me crazy) and lately has learned to jump up on it. She has long skinny legs. I don't know how to stop her because by the time I am reaching for her, she is airborne, but now I see that I need to. I don't want to keep her off the bed, because that is just "our place" and I think it would hurt her little psyche! ( I know, I know!). I'll buy the steps and see if that helps. Maybe she'll just use those.

At least she is over a year old finally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine are jumpers, and I'm not worrying about it. I have had other small dogs that also jumped, and they were fine. I'm not going to make myself crazy about it worrying that they will hurt themselves. I do have something by the bed and the couch that they can use as a step. Sometimes they use them, sometimes they don't.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
MollyChi said:
Mine are jumpers, and I'm not worrying about it. I have had other small dogs that also jumped, and they were fine. I'm not going to make myself crazy about it worrying that they will hurt themselves. I do have something by the bed and the couch that they can use as a step. Sometimes they use them, sometimes they don't.
Well that's a very healthy outlook on the situation. Sometimes I think we get so hung up on the do's and don'ts of pet ownership that we don't enjoy our babies! Thanks for that refreshing outlook on things Miss Molly. :p I think I'll go back to my original line of thinking that the babies can sense their own capabilities. Have a great day everyone!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
chis rule said:
Well that's a very healthy outlook on the situation. Sometimes I think we get so hung up on the do's and don'ts of pet ownership that we don't enjoy our babies! Thanks for that refreshing outlook on things Miss Molly. :p I think I'll go back to my original line of thinking that the babies can sense their own capabilities. Have a great day everyone!

I totally agree. I always thought that they could sense whether or not they could make a jump. I know people have various opinions on that, but that's what I would like to believe. I guess the best we can do is to put steps or whatever to aid our furbabies. I hope everyone's chis stay safe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts