Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Quick question. I got my chi 3/12 weeks ago. She was 6 months when I got her so she is now going on 7 months. When I got her, she weighed 1.4 kilos and now she weighs 1.5. The breeder suspected she may be due a growth spurt as she is quite tiny.

Would this kind of weight gain be normal/ too much/ too little??

Ive never had a dog so small before and I find it so hard to gauge the feeding. I am feeding her Royal Canin. I was going by the recommended amounts but I found that some days she ate a lot and others very little so I am supplementing a little with tiny pieces of cooked chicken or ham some days.

Do you think this sounds okay??

I just worry some days that she seems pretty uninterested in food.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Most dogs will eat as much or as little as they need. You do not need to supplement them with cooked meat as you can make her a picky/fussy eater. She may hold out to get the cooked stuff and forgo the dog food. Mine are not obsessed with food, they eat when they are hungry and ignore it the rest of the time. She will continue to gain weight until she is about 18 months old, so that is nornal for her.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I agree wih everything Pam said and would like to add a couple of things If my kilos to pounds calculation is correct, she weighs approximately 3.3lbs. Which means she will probably weigh no more than 4 lbs or 1.8 kilos as an adult. She is still probably going to be one of the smallest dogs you've ever seen. ;)

I have a 4 1/2 month old pup who weighs 2.75 lbs. She eats about 4 tbsp. Twice a day but dogs like people vary in how much food they require. If she is playful, has normal poos and you can easily feel but not see her ribs then she's probably just right.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree with the others about not adding enticing goodies to her meal. Especially if the meats are cured. Too much salt for our wee ones. Not to mention how much pickier it will make her.

Puppies do require more food than adult dogs. I would be concerned about her getting plenty while she is still growing. I'd feed a high quality grain free food.

I am still feeding mine the puppy amount because each is nicely shaped and ribs are clearly felt. One of mine will have a propensity to be fuller than the other two. I will watch her and reduce her food if I notice her weight changing too much. I want to protect her back and legs.

My littlest one is close in age to your baby (she will be 10 months on Monday) and she is also close in size. She is 3.2 lbs. or 1.45 kgs. My other two are over a year old now and weigh 3.7 lbs. or 1.7 kgs. Mine all grew in spurts and then leveled off for a month or two and then growth again. They are all different. Some here have babies who grew at a more steady pace.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I made the mistake of adding chicken to Daisy's food when she was younger. Now, having decided I'd prefer she had a diet of just her dog food, I have found it a constant struggle to get Daisy to eat at meal times.

Just thought I'd warn you, before you get too far into feeding her other things, she'll expect it when you then decide not too Dx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts