Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Tiffany and she is 10 weeks old. She weighs 1lb 3oz and she is adored by her daddy and me. I have heard people telling me that she is an apple head, but I have no idea. I don't really care, because I love her regardless, but I would love to have an answer. Thank you so much! - Arielle.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi and welcome :)
Tiffany is so gorgeous!
I'm no expert, but I think she's got an apple shaped head, but a bit of a longer snout. So a bit of both? But I'm bumping this up so someone with more of an idea can help you out.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
she looks like a apple but as shes not that old yet im not sure if you can 100% tell yet! (btw i only learned the difference yesterday! LOL) x

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tiffany does have a soft spot (fontanel), if that makes a difference. Thank you both for you replies! I didn't really know there was a difference and I honestly wouldn't change a thing
about her, however my sister-in-law in kind of a crazy chihuahua person and she has an apple head and was staring to make me curious.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
She is such an absolute sweetie pie!!! I know you are totally smitten. I wish I could help, but I can't tell either. Whatever she is she is darling. :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think her head will mature into more of a deer shape. The way the muzzle meets the head and the forehead slopes into the muzzle generally means the muzzle will still grow quite a bit and the head will flatten out a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
her head is very round right now, with a high forehead, it looks like a little helmet and she has big green eyes that she sometimes doesn't close all the way when she is sleeping haha. She is on the smaller side, our vet estimated her to be between 3lb 10oz and 4lbs, but again, estimation is not a perfect science.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I agree with flippedstars. I think she will probably mature into more of a deerhead due to the slope in her forehead. Appleheads have very pronounced stops (where the muzzle and forehead meet) and short muzzles, while deers have more of curve in their stop and longer muzzles. Regardless of which she'll turn out to be, she is one of the cutest puppies I've ever seen! I'm sure she'll be a beautiful adult.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thinks she is kind of in between lol, she has a high round forehead and buggy eyes but her nose is a bit longer.... I think she is Perfect though:) thanks again!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I also agree with flippedstars.

This is what Hope (an apple) looked like at about the same age:

The picture is ridiculous, a friend gave us a bunch of clothes so she was trying them all on.

She had a more angular look to her nose and forehead. Also a very sharp, defined stop.

I agree with Caitlin as well, your little one is a doll!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think her head will mature into more of a deer shape. The way the muzzle meets the head and the forehead slopes into the muzzle generally means the muzzle will still grow quite a bit and the head will flatten out a bit.
Interesting! I was going to say applehead, but only have Holly to go by. :p From the few pics I have of her, her snout was a bit longer than that by the time she was 8 weeks old.

PS Tiffany is a doll!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys! Jesuschick, tiff does look a lot like your Hope as a baby, but Hope's head is way more pronounced as an adult! Tiffs about comes in barely more than a 90 degree angle and she is small one ( I heard deer was larger). I will have to take more pictures for you all to see :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I agree with flippedstars also! She's "deer". She does have a domed head, but she does NOT have the 90 degree angle where her forehead meets her nose (which is required to meet "apple" standards), it's sloped. It will most likely get more sloped as she grows. She is super adorable either way tho.. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Her head/face shape is similar to how Lacey's was in her puppy pics that I saw. I think she'll likely be a deerhead. She's really cute!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tiffs head is much rounder than the picture of the deer that was posted above. Her eyes are more to the side and buggier too, her. Ode is just slightly more slanted. It was my understanding that a chi can be an apple head even if the nose is at a greater than 90 degree angle and that the 90 degree angle is used as a standard for show dogs. However, I could have been misinformed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts