Chihuahua People Forum banner

Is plain soap bad for a dog's skin?

740 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Huly 
#1 ·
Scents and chemicals heavily bother me and I can't find a natural dog shampoo without essential oils so I have been only giving my dog water baths for a while and she smells great and is so soft but I feel really bad because I feel like she needs something to really cleanse her skin. I've washed her feet, legs, and potty area with basic coconut soap which is just soaponified coconut oil. Her legs are the softest part on her but is it really okay to wash her with just soap? I know shampoo is supposed to be ph balanced but is it really that big of a deal? She has short fur, about 1/2 inch long and shorter and longer in some places.

Can anyone help me out? Is it okay to wash a dog with plain soap? Does anyone have any experience with washing their dog with just soap?

I would like to wash her whole body in coconut oil soap but I am nervous to do it because I worry what the wrong ph balance will do to her fur and skin.

Thank you :)

#3 ·
If it is a coconut soap no added chemicals she should be good. I have used plain coconut oil as a soap/shampoo multiple times. When you get into regular soaps with chemicals etc is where the issues begin. As for a commercial product you could try one of these:

Pints :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care

Products | Tropiclean

I am sensitive to smells too and I use Earth Bath Oatmeal Aloe and it doesn't bother me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.