Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I had to cook Zoey's liver in order for her to eat it in addition to hand feeding it like a treat, she wouldn't touch her bone in chicken, and this morning she won't touch her breakfast. Such a stubborn one she is! Rob thinks she's holding out & wants me to cook her food since I did last night. She ate her breakfast yesterday with no problems, and wants treats (she's not getting any though since she didn't eat her breakfast). Seriously she's been such a good eater on the raw up until the past few weeks. Don't know what is going on with her. But she's making me C-A-R-A-Z-Y!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I don't know what to tell you but I feel your frustration! Oakley never eats in the mornings but scarfs her dinner down. We are feeding rabbit for a month and she HATES it so its been even worse. The only thing she's eaten is her raw chicken lately b'c she won't eat the rabbit. She also won't eat her joint supplements so I have to shove those down her throat. They can be brats. BUT the thing is its only one of my 4. The rest are total piglets, and I don't have to struggle with them. So its unlikely another chi will share Zoey's finicky behaviors and stubbornness.

Its hard when they are small though because even if they are adults I still worry about hypoglycemia a lot :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is she telling you she wants to go to one meal a day? A bigger one in the afternoon? I know she's little and with her issues, hypoglycemia may be an issue.

Brody isn't a big eater in the mornings either. But by 4pm or so in the afternoon - he's hungry and ready to eat whatever I put out.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what her deal is, most mornings she eats breakfast really good. She does have issues with hypoglycemia so I worry about that. Which is why this is so frustrating. Rob thinks she has her nose out of joint because of Ziva (she wants to be the only diva), and is throwing temper tantrums by not eating etc. I think she's just going through a phase, she's done this before when on kibble. Wondering if I need to find more variety? She eats mainly pork/beef, chicken & fish, but maybe I need to try to find more 'exotic' meats to tempt her palate? Also she won't eat unless I dice her food into tiny bites. Such a spoiled girl.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't know what her deal is, most mornings she eats breakfast really good. She does have issues with hypoglycemia so I worry about that. Which is why this is so frustrating. Rob thinks she has her nose out of joint because of Ziva (she wants to be the only diva), and is throwing temper tantrums by not eating etc. I think she's just going through a phase, she's done this before when on kibble. Wondering if I need to find more variety? She eats mainly pork/beef, chicken & fish, but maybe I need to try to find more 'exotic' meats to tempt her palate? Also she won't eat unless I dice her food into tiny bites. Such a spoiled girl.
Sometimes Brody has days where he's not an enthusiastic eater. He's always been picky. I don't advise doctoring up their food with something good because then they expect it every time. But I do occasionally put just a smear of canned dog food on it or tripe and then he licks the plate clean. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh wow I couldn't deal with this mine eat anything altho daisy wouldn't touch the whole prey but shell get their!!

It could be one meal needednmaybe give her some Nutri cal and a treat in the am and a big meal for dinner??

More variety could probably help too I try to switch mine up as much as possible but tbh mine would eat anything put their wy

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She ate some ground hamburger at lunch time, so that makes me feel better. Rob suggested maybe a teensie teensie tiny pinch of garlic, would that be bad? The google results are mixed as to whether it's bad for them or not, but I know it's in some foods and supplements.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She ate some ground hamburger at lunch time, so that makes me feel better. Rob suggested maybe a teensie teensie tiny pinch of garlic, would that be bad? The google results are mixed as to whether it's bad for them or not, but I know it's in some foods and supplements.
The nupro powder I use has garlic in it. Garlic powder should be fine. I think the danger of the anemia that is caused by garlic comes from repeatedly eating a whole fresh clove. The powder should be fine and no problem at all.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I hate having to resort to doctoring her food as I know that makes her even more picky, but I will do what I can to get her to eat. My hubby and I were talking and she just hasn't been the same since Georgie attacked her :-( She seems depressed and has been 10x more stubborn/uncooperative than she ever has. Each seizure creates a pathway/damage in their brains, so wondering if she's still feeling the after effects :-( I hope she snaps out of it soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts