Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yoda had worms as most puppies do. He has been to the vet 2 times already and has been wormed 2 times. Tomorrow is his 3rd appt for his shot and some more worms have been coming out :cry: . When do they stop, he probably will be wormed again for the 3 rd time tomorrow.

Is something wrong or is this normal for puppies. He eats fine and drinks fine. he has hairballs though lol

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Gosh I didnt know there were diff types!!!

All I can say is I hope Yoda doesn't have them for much longer!!!!!

Love from Zoe, Jack, Chico and Bella

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Those are tapeworms

A little information on Tapeworms :Those are tapeworms. They come from fleas. When your pet is itching and biting at a flea, it may swallow one. Then the tapeworm, which lives in an encysted form within the flea, completes its life cycle and becomes an adult in the intestine of the dog or cat. Since cats are more fastidious groomers than dogs, they suffer from tapeworms more often. The individual segments that break off are what we see being passed. The treatment for tapeworms is simply a dewormer that comes in either injectable or tablet form. We generally treat for these parasites when we see evidence of them as they do not cause harm like heartworms, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. The tapeworms that our pets get are not related to the human pinworm, and yes, they are gross!

My vet has a worm pill thats just for tapeworms maybe your vet needs to worm him just for the tapeworms.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sometimes they get a real stubborn case. when chiwi had coccidea she had to have 2 two week treatments until it was fully cleared up.

do they give you meds to take home and give for a 3 day course?? it's called panacur (there may be others out there but this one is highly used at the vets i used to work...)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Iamafairy said:
Gosh I didnt know there were diff types!!!

All I can say is I hope Yoda doesn't have them for much longer!!!!!

Love from Zoe, Jack, Chico and Bella
there are lots of differnt types:

whipworms, tapeworms, heartworms, roundworms,hookworms, giardia, coccidea.... are the most common... not sure if there are any others.....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
sometimes they get a real stubborn case. when chiwi had coccidea she had to have 2 two week treatments until it was fully cleared up.

do they give you meds to take home and give for a 3 day course?? it's called panacur (there may be others out there but this one is highly used at the vets i used to work...)

I agree I think he needs to be on a few days of the medication

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I saw this on a vets site

WHY MIGHT A PET CONTINUE TO GET TAPEWORM INFECTIONS?

While many people would like to blame the medication as having been ineffective, the truth is that there must be an on-going flea population in the pet’s environment. The key to eradicating tapeworms from the home is flea control.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It has to be fleas, that's the only way to get a tapeworm. They may not be on him, they may have been wherever you got him from.

This happened to me. Frasier had tapeworms and I felt like people were accusing me of letting him be dirty and covered with fleas when he never had a single flea on him. He came from a filthy place though. He'd swallowed a flea before I got him and weeks later the worms showed up. After the vet gets through with him and you've got him treated for fleas just to be sure one can't get to him, they'll go away.

I love your siggy. He's terribly cute. His ears are wonderful. They make him actually sorta look like Yoda. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You should treat the house as well as the pup because although he is being treated there are still eggs hatching in the household. Dont take it offensivley hey dogs get fleas and unfortunately the house will get infested. I keep my kids on a monthly tab that sterilizes the fleas so they dont produce and then that drop stuff on back of neck

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What meds were you given? Two of the more common tapeworm meds are Cestex and Droncit. It's been awhile since I worked for a vet, but I recall the meds having to be done three weeks straight, one dosage per week or there about. Again, don't quote me on the frequency as it's been awhile, I just recall it having to be done 3 times.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
janiebabes said:
I saw this on a vets site

WHY MIGHT A PET CONTINUE TO GET TAPEWORM INFECTIONS?

While many people would like to blame the medication as having been ineffective, the truth is that there must be an on-going flea population in the pet’s environment. The key to eradicating tapeworms from the home is flea control.
I was going to say the same thing. Also make sure he's not eating his poop (I think that goes for tapeworms). Also, they say to wash the bedding in hot water and vacuum really good. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'd get him on revolution asap. it helps with intestinal parasites, fleas ect. check out my thread in the articles section on parasiticides.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
wow sorry i am no use with any information but your yoda sure is soooo cute! my mum was going to buy one just like him but she was called kacie he never emailed us back though. She was devastated!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Your vet had him on wrong medicine? I hope he isnt charging you for the repeated visits and treatments he gave. sheesh glad it wasnt something that coulda killed him

1 - 20 of 21 Posts