Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Sharky from the shelter about two weeks ago and had him checked out by a vet. I asked the vet to check his neuter site (he was neutered at the pound) because it felt like they left something in there. He said it was very swollen, so he couldn't say, but that he hoped they had taken everything out. Well now the swelling has gone down and I definitely feel something in there. It feels like one testicle was left in there. And also they said they used glue to seal the incision, but now there is a string coming out of the area. I pulled on it because I thought it was just a string from the carpet or something and was stuck on the outside, but it is definitely firmly attached. It doesn't look like stitching material either, it looks kinda like kite string. Is there anything else this can be inside there beside a remaining testicle? And what is with this string? I am going to call the vets office and see if I can speak with the vet tomorrow, but what else could this be? It was a vet who performed the surgery at the shelter, so why would she leave one in there? This is very strange to me, anyone else ever hear of this? If she did leave one in there, will they have to go back in? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sunny was also neutered via humane society. He was swollen for nearly a week and was really down for 3 days. getting up only to gingerly go potty. The vet there used stitches.
Each case is different so if possible call the pound vets and have them recap thier procedure and tell them all his symptoms. Im sure they will say take him to your regular vet but this way you can tell them what the poundvet said.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Toby was snipped by the shelters vets and it took him almost 4 days to 'wake' up to normal. Plus he was swollen and really sore for almost a week, only left his bed to potty. His incision was way up high and I could count 3 stitches.

When my vet did Chico, the incision is lower with only internal stitches that will disolve. There was no swelling and the little bugger was zooming around the house that night. I was sort of counting on him being groggy at least overnight!

Don't know if it's true but I was told that some of the shelters use the vet clinics where the students train and they don't always do a jam up job. BTW....I paid $85 for the shelter surgery and only $100 at my vet.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would definatly get him in to see your vet, you don't want him to start chewing on that string. He could really hurt himself.
Since you probably won't understand what the vet at shelter tells you about the procedure, maybe your regular vet could call them and ask.
Also, I wouldn't try and cut the string yourself. Your vet might be able to tell what it is if he can see it.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WOW what are they butchers???????? Why so many problems, the poor animals. Gosh Kemo wasnt down that long and he was done older at 11 mos......this ticks me off.

I hope your baby feels better soon and I would definately have someone look at it right away, you dont want an infection to start.

Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
WOW what are they butchers???????? Why so many problems, the poor animals. Gosh Kemo wasnt down that long and he was done older at 11 mos......this ticks me off.

I hope your baby feels better soon and I would definately have someone look at it right away, you dont want an infection to start.

Keep us posted :)
I agree! Poor little boy. :( That does not sound good at all. And yes, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
WOW what are they butchers???????? Why so many problems, the poor animals. :)
Because they are doing it on a volunteer basis. I know it may sound cruel but thats what believe. I know they say they are there to help the animals but some of them i just have wondered about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sharky's neuter was done on the first of Februaury, so we are coming up on three weeks since then. All the swelling has gone so I am pretty sure this is a testicle I feel in there (I mean swelling wouldn't be in the perfect oval shape of a testicle anyway, right?). We did not request that they neuter him, they had already done it, but we had to pay for it. It was only $20, which I don't understand how that could even cover the drugs, so I don't really know. The vets name who did it is on this sheet we got and her name was followed by DVM and she has a license number so I assume she is an actual vet. I am just confused by all of this. I don't see how something like that could happen. I hope I am wrong, but it is just too wierd. I haven't removed the string (it seems to be tied in a stitch type knot) because I want the vet to see it since they told me their were no stitches used only glue so not to worry. I might actually go up to the shelter tomorrow and have the lady who told me there were no stitches explain what the string is and see if she feels the testicle too.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would definitely have him looked at. Sometimes a Chi will have what they call a "Criptorchid". This a testicle that has not dropped yet. It does involve a little more invasive surgery. Both of my guys had it. They did very well after the neuter though, only a little sore for a day or so. The string sounds very weird to me? :shock:

sandra

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They probably used a deep/buried suture inside, then glued the outside. The buried sutures I have seen my old employer(dermatologist) use are white and a little thicker than the typical outer sutures. They are dissolving sutures which can take up to a month to dissolve.
As for the possible remaining testicle??? :roll:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
it could just be extra swelling and i the string could be internal stitches which dissolve after a few weeks (can take up to 3 months to completly dissolve)
however i would now take him back to YOUR vet and have him take a good look now that the major swelling ahs gone dwn, also put the bit of string you cut in a plastic ziplock bag and take it with you, that way he can identify.
unfortunatly there have been some cases of low cost surgeries for shelter animals being done by vets whos licenses have been revoked and sometimes even the best of vets messes up, so definatly get your pup checked by a vet you trust, i doubt the shelter will tall you anything that will help you, your best bet is have your vet check him over well and look at the string, have him feel for lumps and such as it could very well be they left a testicle or perhaps a forighn object, or, more than likely just be swelling.

best advice unless the pup is acting real strange/sick/in pain, likelyhood is its nothing of major concren and nothing a trip to the puppy doctor wont cure.

keep us updated and hope everything goes fine! and congratulations on the new pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maureen--thanks, I bet that is what the string was then.

As for the testicle, it still feels like its there and the same size (I was waiting a bit longer to make sure it wasn't some kind of strange swelling). I have to take him in to the vets soon for a dental, so I am just going to ask the vet then if he thinks whatever that is in there needs to be removed. He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything from it, it just feels a little too strange for me.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
that is really odd. whenever my vet does a nueter the dog is back to his ol self within hours of coming out of anesthesia and i certainly never seen any sweeling or problems due to the surgery itself (just owners feeling bad about the e-collar, taking it off and the dog chewing it's surgery site.)

most vets (that i know) won't do a nueter until both testicles have dropped and if it's the case of cryptorchid (sp?) it's a little more involved and the testicle that was still up comes out too. i never heard of leaving one behind.... makes me wonder. what i suggest you do is get him to your vet, see what he says and what he has to do (he will have to undergo another procedure to have the remaining testicle removed, if in fact it is a teste. then go to where it was done originally with your vets statement and bill. they should pay for the "fix up" i doubt they will pay the whole thing but i'd at least demand half.

keep us posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning I felt his area and what I thought was a testicle had reduced by about half in size. It is harder now, and really is too small to be a testicle I think, but is still in that same shape. So I am kinda excited because hopefully it will all go way with time. I think it is sad, though, because there is no reason why his area should have stayed swollen that long. It has almost been a whole month ago that he was neutered! Think of how painful that must be for him (having a surgery on that area and having it stay swollen for a month)! Poor guy, he really got butchered! :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts