Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
appropriate? when i did it. i just called up the vet and told them im new to their place and want an appointment and all they said was to bring all records thus far of what dexter had done so they could make copies and that was that lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
You dont have to tell them anything if you dont feel comfortable with doing so. If there is a reason such as over priced services or staff that isnt knowledgable then you can say that in a nice way.

Since i never saw my old vets outside of the clinic i just stoped going but if you live in a small town i can see why you would want to keep things Kosher.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I meant more of, how do you "chuck" the old vet, LOL.
I've been in this position. I just ditched them. I'm so picky about vets, everything has to be just right or I'm out of there. I just go to the new vet and have the records sent over. I did this a few times during my Pom's life and then stuck with one for awhile. Then toward the end of her life I become really agitated at the vet I was taking her to. I didn't like his recommendations about her care when she started to have health problems in her last year. I shopped around for a new vet and eventually found one that I just love. He is amazing. I took my Pom to him the last year of her life and now Pip and Roo. A good vet is worth their weight in gold. If you're not happy, don't worry about chucking him, just do it. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Same here. I knew exactly what concerns I had with Lo's first vet and the reasons why I didn't want to return! When I called to have her records transferred I was prepared to tell them (politely but matter of factly) why I was seeking a new Dr. They didn't ask, btw. haha. But if they had, maybe they could have bettered their services from the constructive criticism! :D

In the end, do what you feel is right and what makes you comfortable without hesitation! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just do it. Don't feel guilty. Do what is right for your dogs and don't worry about hurting the old vets feelings. Vets work for US. We pay their salaries. You are welcome to hire and fire at will. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
You could just stop going there. When i changed vet i just didnt go back and the new vet had the old vet fax the records.... If you feel the need to tell your old vet you could always say your moving? so you want a vet closer :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lmao Tracy your hardcore.

Overhere it works like doctors even tho we dont pay for dr you register with a new one and they arrange for the paper work to come over. If you want to say something be blunt coz they were crap and clearly went to med school in the 1700s

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I have chucked two vets because they were just plain awful. Both times I just made appointments with my new vets (I have one for my dogs and another for my guinea pigs) and had to call the old vets to have them fax over the dogs' records to my new vet. None have ever asked for a reason when I've told them that I am taking my pets to a new vet. Like Tracy said, don't feel guilty, they work for you! I would never take my dogs to a vet that I wasn't completely comfortable and happy with and I have no problem walking out and dropping them in an instant if I was unhappy.

The last vet I dropped was because I brought my dog in for a wellness exam and a rabies vaccine that's it. The vet literally just glanced at my dog (that was his wellness exam! didn't check him over, feel him or anything...still makes me made to this day) and then gave him two extra vaccines in addition to the rabies which is the only vaccine I wanted administered. You better believe I was furious and have never set foot in his office again.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If you are feeling guility about it, just tell them you want to try another vet that someone ( family, friend ) speaks very highly of.

Otherwise just switch and don't worry. You are paying them for a service.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
They are not to know that you havent actually moved, unless they have to send the records to the same street LOL
I wouldnt worry about it.
It's up to you who treats your dogs.
I wouldnt stay with someone i wasnt happy with. xx

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've switched vets like i switch my underwear!!

I just stop going! The only problem with that is that they still send you crap postcards for reminders! lol

Never felt bad about leaving one vet for another. I'm happy with the practice i'm with now though. They came recommended by my pittie co-op :)

Good luck! x

1 - 18 of 18 Posts