Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-UPDATED with pics- Is there a way to tell if your Chi is gaining too much weight?

I switched Peebo over to ZP and he loves it but he is starting to look different, I guess the only way to describe is he looks more "solid" I used to be able to feel his his ribs pretty easy, now I kinda have to press on him to feel them.Also his chest/back is alot wider I can still feel his backbone but I just want to make sure I am not over feeding him. He is eating a cup a day (half in the morning and half at night) with treats in the afternoon (used for training). He is almost 9 months old and everyone thinks I am over reacting a little but I just want to find out if there is a way to tell without weighing him (i dont have a scale) the last time I went to the vet he was almost 7Lbs. I just remember that I had read here somewhere that you should be able to feel his ribs or something like that, I just dont want him to be overweight.

You can kinda see his "roll" right above his shoulders in the first and fifth pic, sorry I took these with my cell phone took me like 20 mins running after him trying to catch him not moving.

This is the second day we had him not relevant I just like the pic

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
7 lbs for a 9 month old chi seems like a lot. Not really sure what his body looks like or his body type, but my chi is 5 years old and is 7 lbs. Lots of people here felt I was feeding my chi too much THK (1 cup a day) so I cut back to a little over 1/2 cup a day, plus I leave a little ACANA dry kibble down for her to nibble on. Since Peebo is still a puppy, I probably would cut back on the ZP and add green beens and stuff like that to suppliment his diet. I really wouldn't put him on a diet, just add more veggies. Because he's still a pup, it's important he gets the nutrients he needs since he's still growing. Maybe you can post some pics.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to try he never sits still long enough lol all the pics I have hes sleeping, but yea 6.6 pounds as of last week and I will try and get some pics tonight when I get home. I have been giving him alot of treats I am trying to get him to roll over and jump up, the roll over he pretty much got but the jump up I am having an issue with.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
7 lbs sounds like a lot of a 9 month chi, you'd need to post pics for us to actually see him to tell. I don't feed Ziwipeak, but that also sounds like way too much Ziwipeak to be feeding as well.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Half a cup twice a day of ZP sounds like a lot to me. You should be able to easily feel his ribs by rubbing your hand over his sides, you should be able to feel them. You should be able to feel his spine but not see it. He should have a tuck up in his stomach area, a well defined waist when viewed from above.

What kind of treats are you using? Some of them are very high calorie and lots of fat/sugar.

Is he getting exercise? He should be getting a brisk walk daily to keep him in good condition.

Pics would be great and would help us tell if he's overweight or not. ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well according to Ziwi peak;
"Pregnant and Nursing Females/Puppies

Feed approx double the amount indicated in two to three feedings per day."

So he is supposed to get 0.5 (for up to 6.5 pounds of body weight) of the cups total for the day, so doubled its 1 cup right?
I have been giving him 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night.

And I have been using baked liver treats I made myself from whole liver cut up into pieces

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
yes but that's just a guideline. Most of the times the numbers on the bag are too much. Go by body condition. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks Brodysmom
I will try and post some pics but I swear he's getting a roll on the back of his neck and he looks buff! lol

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Well according to Ziwi peak;
"Pregnant and Nursing Females/Puppies

Feed approx double the amount indicated in two to three feedings per day."

So he is supposed to get 0.5 (for up to 6.5 pounds of body weight) of the cups total for the day, so doubled its 1 cup right?
I have been giving him 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night.

And I have been using baked liver treats I made myself from whole liver cut up into pieces
The feeding instructions just give you the standard average measurement you should feed your dog. The measure them high so you use the bag up quicker and buy more. If you feel he's getting a little fat, cut back on the ZP and cut out the treats. Find healthier alternative like green beans or something.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats a lot of food! It is so easy to overfeed these little guys because the amount of food they actually need is so small that it just looks like it isnt enough to us. Rather than following the guides on the package, feed him what he needs to maintain a nice weight. Its hard to say without being able to see him in person or pics, but if you cant easily feel his ribs, he is a bit overweight. Also if he weighs 7 lbs but is overweight, you dont want to feed him like he is 7 lbs, but rather feed him as if he is 6ish lbs or whatever weight he should be. Id try 1/4 cup twice daily and see how he does. Once you can feel his ribs easily again youll know hes closer to his ideal weight, and if he needs a bit more or less you can adjust from there. You cant really go by the guides as a rule, just because all dogs are different in terms of metabolism and activity level two 7 lb dogs may have very different caloric needs. I wouldnt be too worried as hes still a growing pup, but cut him back a bit and see how he does.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you woodard2009 that makes sense but man he really loves this stuff I think he would eat the whole bag if I let him. I will get the pics up maybe I am over reacting a tad.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
That sounds like a LOT of ZP! When I fed it my pups got about 1/4c a day. (They range fro 4.5-8lbs). Doubled that's only 1/2c a day. I'd do what was suggested & do two 1/4c meals a day.

And as hard as it is...some dogs just love food & will act starving no matter what. You just have to stick to your guns. My lot would eat an entire cow if I let them. They're PIGS with their food! LOL I swear Milo would be at least 20lbs if I let him eat whatever....seriously! He was 11lbs eating 1/4c a day of EVO kibble. If I free fed (which I did until he came along) he'd have the bowl cleaned out in no time. Which is why we stopped free feeding. LOL

Anyway, I'll be looking for pics but chances are if you think he's getting chunky he probably is. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
After seeing your pictures, I don't think he is over weight. He doesn't have quite the tuck up that say, Brody does, but Devo is all around a bigger doggy. I think he looks healthy! :)

I will say though, that he should be about out of his "puppy stage" and probably won't need the extra food he did when he was growing double time. He should slow down now, so I would cut the food back a TAD. I would think you could give him 1/4-1/3cup in the morning, the same in the evening. Continue the treats with his training. :) Just my opinion!

I love his curly tail by the way, so much personality in that little guy! :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
After seeing those pics, no I don't think he's overweight! I think he's in great body condition. Keep up the good work. Don't let him gain too much as he grows into an adult, but he looks just fine to me! :hello1:

He looks nice and solid but not heavy. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thats so good to hear thanks guys! So he looks like he's out of the puppy stage? I dont know to me he still looks like my puppy lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wow thats so good to hear thanks guys! So he looks like he's out of the puppy stage? I dont know to me he still looks like my puppy lol
He's a teenager!! :)

Be prepared for some regression in his training and manners. When Brody was his age he tried to get away with stuff.... forgot his house training, ignored me when I called him, etc. Just be patient, firm and fair and you will get through these teenage months and soon you will have a well mannered adult dog.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
He doesn't look overweight to me at all. Of course in the one pic where he is kinda balled up he looks more full, but you can clearly see in the others that he is absolutely fine in weight. He just looks like an average sized Chi for these days. Best wishes!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats funny you mentioned that he has been acting kinda strange lately doesnt listen to me acts like he is the king of the world, he has marked in the house a few times and just generally been acting like a teenager! at first I thought it was because we adopted Princess and he was just acting out because he has been our only dog and he was just looking for attention but you bring up a really good point. I will be firm with him and just wade it out I was a teenage boy once (a long time ago) I know how he feels! lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanx TLI he has just never been this big he has always been pretty skinny and like in a month he just started filling out a whole lot I just dont want his weight to be an issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts