Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruiser just turned 6 in September. We had him neutered as a baby as soon as the vet said he was old enough. He has always been a "marker" though. Now there are no other males around and it's not that he doesn't like going outside... he loves it! But he always saves a little bit to mark.

The vet has even checked for kidney/bladder issues and drawn blood and all is clear and good. He said sometimes if a testical hasn't dropped when they are neutered they only take out 1 .. but both of Bruiser's are out.

All that I can do these days is keep a "wee-wee band" on him at bedtime and when he's in a carpeted room. I use pet gates in some rooms because I can't keep having my carpets cleaned all the time! The only trouble with the band is sometimes he gets a little rash or irritation (which I have ointment for but still I hate that this happens).

Anyway, my question is : Do any of you have any ideas for us? I would love nothing more than for Bruiser to not have to wear his band at night. He seems not to even notice it on but I am sure he'd be more comfy with it off. The vet says he's just a territorial pup and it's more of a "behavioral" issue. It just seems like there should be something we can try! :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would take him back to puppyhood and re-housetrain him. I have intact male dogs that never, ever mark in any building. They learned as a puppy that outside was the only place to go and marking was unacceptable. I would use a leash to tether Bruiser to you and leave his belly band off. If you see him thinking about marking (the body posture of sidling up to an object, sniffing closely, etc) clap your hands and give a short, sharp verbal correction. When he stops, approve calmly "good boy" in a calm voice and go about your business. If he can't be tethered to you he needs to be crated or something similar where he doesn't mark. He can't be allowed free run of the house to continue this behavior. You have to break the habit. You need to do this for a significant amount of time to retrain him, weeks or a month or two. When he stops trying to mark while tethered to you then he can have very limited freedom such as only in the room where you currently are and you can actively watch him. If he marks then correct him. A light swat on the rear wouldn't go amiss at this point. Let him know you are really, really unhappy with him. Correct and then place him in his crate.

You also need to make sure the areas he's marked have been cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle so that he can't smell himself and want to pee there again.

This can be fixed but it's going to take effort and consistency!

Olivia

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Very good information given above ;-)

Had he already started marking when he was neutered? Is there a female in the house that is intact?

As said above the key is to keep the scent up and to not allow them to have free run of the house without supervision so you can catch the behavior. Retraining would be my advice as well.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know,I haven't thought of retraining! I will give the tethering a try! That is great advise and I really appreciate it!!!!

I can't remember if Bruiser was marking before he was neutered... he was so young when he was neutered and he lived at my Mom's house until he was 2.

Oh, and he's the only pup in the house. Elle is my Mom's baby and she has been spayed too. I don't think he's ever around any dog that isn't spayed/neutered come to think of it. However, he does mark more when he is around Elle and other family dogs. He is known for trying to mark even in their food dishes!!!!! Our Border Collie will be laying on the floor and he will walk up and hike on her too!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good luck! You can do it with time and patience. I would just be very firm with him!

So you have a border collie and the chihuahua? Cool! I have 3 border collies and 1 chihuahua. People think it's a funny combo but it works for me.

Nice to 'meet' you!
Olivia

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my family has a Border Collie (Suzie Q), the 2 Chis, and a dachsund/terrier mix. Suzie was put out on my parent's road with her pups (all had been abused severely and all dead but 1). My Mom kept feeding them and trying to get them but Suzie would not leave her pup. After a few days her pup died, and she followed my Mom home and became part of our family. She is the sweetest girl and is so gentle with the Chis. They really look up to her and love to play with her. It's so fun to watch them play! When they get too wild, she just pats them away very gently like she's saying "Settle kids, settle."
I love Border Collies... they are so smart and so beautiful! They are really amazing dogs!

It's very nice to meet you too and thank you again for all the advice!!! I have hope now!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts