Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The puppies are growing so quick~ they'll be 6 weeks old already on thursday! :hello1: It won't be long at all now until they come home~ they're eating properly and started using the paper (to do their business) at 3 weeks, and are really healthy! :D Starting to feel abit nervous though, it's been a long time since we had a puppy in the house - never mind 2 LOL!

Max suffered alot with his heart and in the end, we lost him because of his heart :cry: ...so this is our biggest worry about Niko & Bobo.. we never want to go through that again.

I know we did everything we could to save Max but in the end nothing could save him.. We still blame ourselves, even though we know it's not our fault he passed away.

So I was wondering.. I know it probably sounds like a stupid question to ask but;
Is there any way to prevent heart problems in later life while they're puppies? Or are heart problems inevitable in some dogs from birth no matter what you do? If there's any way to maybe prevent it, we're willing to try anything!!

Anyways.. On a brighter note.. something else we need to refresh our memory on :D

The main thing being feeding! Max was overweight, we know we probably fed him too much but we just didn't know how much to feed him!
How much do you think we should feed the puppies?
Max was on a strictly dry food diet but we want to give the boys a more varied diet this time around of meat AND dry food.. Is there a weight chart or something that you could recommend that gives measurements by how much the puppy weighs? :D

Also.. How often should be feed them while they're puppies? Max's food was left out all day - SOOOO BAD I KNOW! :confused: Niko & Bobo definitely won't be free fed!!!!!

We really want them to be a healthy weight but not under or over feed them! :lol:

We will be giving them Pedigree meat and dried food if that makes a difference! :D

Thank you in advance!! :daisy:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
About the food--Pedigree is a low-grade dog food with fillers. I strongly believe that low-grade dog foods cause many health issues with allegies being at the top of the list. You can go to food & nutrition section to find top grade dog foods & talk about feeding amounts.
As far as health issues, you're jumping the gun worrying about something that hasn't happened & may not happen, but I totally understand your fear. During a vet visit, your vet always listens to the puppies heart for irregularities, so if there's a problem depending on how severe, she'll know what to do. Not to mention the few dogs that have heart problems usually grow out of them. A good diet & exercise are important to a healthy heart & puppy. An overweight dog can begin to have heart problems because of the stress of carrying the weight around. Don't be afraid to ever ask questions on here, no matter how stupid you think the questions may be. That's what's great about this forum; there's always someone who has experience & can answer a question.

Can't wait to see pics of the new additions.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am concerned about the same thing for the very reason you have stated. Our boy died from congestive heart failure. I thought that I was doing him such good by switching him from the grocery store brand my husband had him on to Iams. I made his food for his last 8 months. I wish I had known more then.

Coming here and asking has taught me so much about nutrition and how I can give Hope every advantage. I plan to make some food for her as she is older, but for now I moved her to a 6 star food from the website dogfoodanalysis.com.

I switched her from what the breeder had her on to Orijen puppy. She LOVES it!
Both she and our boy were open feeders. He maintained at 5 pounds and since she has always been a free feeder-even with the breeder-she regulates her intake very well.

I wish you the best as you get your precious ones home and give them the best food you can to grow them strong and healthy!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Being overweight taxes their system greatly and has been known to cause heart problems. It depends on what you are feeding them exactly as to how much they should get. As puppies they should be fed 4x a day until they are about 12-16 weeks, then 3 times a day until 6 months then twice a day.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh gosh Sarah please don't feed them pedigree it's one of the worst foods you can feed them!! Poor diet can attribute to all sorts of health problems heather posted an article in the nutrition section about life spans and diet

Look on dogfoodanalysis.com

A lot of people feed orijen as kibble or ziwi which is dehydrated raw

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dottie is being fed on Pedigree as well,think breeders get boxes of the stuff so it's easy advertising,so as soon as she comes home I'M SWITCHING to Burns mini bites,must say Simbas (14) coat has never been so nice on it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
They have to pay for the reeders packs there's no excuse for them to feed rubbish to new Norns it makes me angry!!

Good on you michelle

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Id def stear clear of the pedigree.

I have had paige on a food called taste of the wild. Its a six star food and not to badly priced. Costs £24.99 for a 6.8kg bag with free delivery from zoo plus. Paie has done fab on it since i got her, I feed my others raw but she just didnt take to it. I think pets at home do a high quality wet food now, dont quote me but i think its called wainwrights or something like that. On another forum lots of people rave about it. 2 little chis wont cost loads to feed, but if you think about it like this, that if you spend a bit more now on their nutrition you could save yourself thousands in the years to come on vet bills etc from poor quality food.

ps a good quality food will also mean smaller poops and they wont smell so 'doggy!'

xx

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not so fussed on wainwrights myhself, tried it here but the meat content was quite low.

I love applaws for my collie - Pixel has applaws kibble as her treats for training and it's also a good quality food I think.

But for pixel I am having the same dilemma what to feed her - she's on chicken and rice at the mo after a tummy upset but then what? I can't seem to find a shop bought food that's good quality and she will eat it. When I tried to make her eat it she had a hypo attack as she hadn't eaten enough - so I feel a bit trapped. Looking forward to the suggestions on here for a good quality puppy food loved by chis

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I just ordered ziwipeak for my guys :)! Got another dehydrated raw but baby will not touch it! The stores here in Canada are by special order only but it takes a week to come in I got the fish & venison and the lamb in case she won't eat it got 2 kinds lol

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm not so fussed on wainwrights myhself,
I have no idea what its actually like as i feed raw, but Ive heard others say its quite a good food in comparison to the likes of pedigree etc.

Or maybe its natures menu?? Idk i just know there is a good quality one in pets at home!

Im so dim...............:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for all the replies guys! :D

WOW~ really? I had no idea Pedigree was a poor quality food, thanks for the heads up!

I'll look into all the foods you suggested - thanks so much! :D

Like I said.. Their health is an even bigger worry to us after what happened to Max so we'll definitely want them to have the best health possible, and best diet possible! :)

Our breeder's chis (she has 8 or 9 can't remember exactly lol) are super healthy and have really nice coats but we never asked what she feeds them so we might end up feeding them what the breeder is feeding them at the moment! she's really nice and makes amazing puppy bags for people who buy her puppies - as well as the basics & the food she's been feeding the pups, she also buys chi gifts & toys, etc for the puppies. she's an amazing breeder and we've became really good friends with her since we've visited the boys so often! :D

Can't wait to see pics of the new additions.
I took quite a few pics the last time we visited last week (5 wks old) :D here's the pics! :D http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi...o-bobo-5-weeks-old-already-**pic-heavy**.html

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Anything you can buy in a supermarket is poo basically along with anything advertised on tv!

Feeding a correct diet can really improve their lives and actually works out way cheaper than the likes of pedigree and wagg because you feed so little because it's not mad ewith fillers have a look In the nutrition section there's loads of info

1 - 15 of 15 Posts