Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an email from a rescue that I had viewed some chis on. Well, the email said you must commit to the dog without ever meeting it or seeing it. Red flag #1. Adoption fee $450. Red flag #2. This just doesn't seem legit. Hubby thinks it's a new scam for puppy mills. Anybody have any experience or opinions? I won't be adopting for them, ever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sure sounds like a big old scam, I'd say. A $450 adoption fee for a dog you've never met...that's not normal.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I could report them. They're set up so they are practically untraceable. They take your money, then ship dog to you. I think I saw one with a $600 "adoption" fee! Awareness may be the only way.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Who would pay for something without actually seeing it ever? Thats like ordering a meal, paying for it and never eating it or actually see it.

Anyone can make a page with pictures with little chihuahuas on it and say they are for rescue...and be sitting in their dogless home chuckling at the suckers that send them money. You are right...red flag!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both of my Chi's are rescues. The place I got them from takes small dogs and puppies from high kill shelters and houses them in homes until they have a forever home. The most expensive price for one is 300 dollars. But they come fixed, well socialized and up to date on all their shots, so the 300 dollars doesn't really even cover their fees for doing all of that. Would I have paid 600 dollars for my chi's, sure, but most rescues know that the higher the price the harder to house. And usually it's the younger ones or the newer ones that are priced high. So I wouldn't call it a scam based off of the price of the chi's especially if they ship them. I've heard of some rescues that will ship out of state, and I can see that being a higher price than if you walk into a shelter or go to a local rescue.

Here's where I see the scam... When filling out a form online, at our local rescues you need to be approved, they want to KNOW where the dog is going so have some sort of interaction with you, and YES they want you to come in and see the dog's or puppies before they sell them to you, they want to sell them to you in person so they can see that they are going to a forever home and not just a temporary home.

There is paper work you fill out (At least here) that contractually binds the dog to you, and makes you promise to do certain things such as never give the dog away, get him/her all medical needs it may have be it update shots, or medication, and all of that type of thing. Basically they want to make sure you'll be a good parent to the pups... They will actually not let you even see the dogs if you don't fill out a form which actually asks you basic questions that can help determine if you are safe to give a dog to... But they wont take the money from you with out seeing you in person.

So for that reason alone, the site unseen thing I'd say it's a scam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts