Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I like the wire crates with a divider so that you can make it very small when the pup is small and then it can get bigger as the pup grows. The wire also allows better air flow which my dogs seem to appreciate.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It's definitely too small, that's not a crate, it's for travel. The one Theresa posted is what you'll want to be getting for home use and training.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have that crate, and it's pretty small. I used it for just Bella when sleeping when I first got her and was crate training her. It worked perfect. Then I used to use it for both pups for for travel, but as they got bigger they didn't fit. Now it prolly would fit Izzie, my 3.4 lb pup perfect. Bella is too big for it now for it to be comfy. I don't use it anymore though. It just sits in my house!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll just get it for travel and then use a wire one for sleeping etc.

Amandagalway: where I come from they don't have those cute pink ones either but I just order everything online!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have that exact same crate in a different color. It's a handy thing to have for travel, and sometimes I'll use it when I'm taking one of the dogs to the vet (though mostly I use my purse style one.) When I first rescued Tango, I used it for him to be crated in and to sleep in (he was at that point only 2 lbs.) Now though, they each have a wire crate which is a bit roomier. Their wire crate dimensions are actually only a couple inches different in width and length, but they are considerably taller. They look much like the image Theresa posted, but in black and they have a front opening only....no top or side opening.

You definitely don't want a crate too big for your dog, but as he (she?) is going to be spending a lot of time in it, it would be good if your dog could at least stand up. The one you posted about won't allow either of mine to stand to their full height.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
In the photo it looks pretty small to me, but I didn't look at the dimensions. They need to be able to stand up and turn around otherwise I'd never use it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
♥ Marabou ♥;853401 said:
Hmmm you're right, I see that it's way too small height-wise...

This one is pretty tall, the dimensions are 18.5"L x 12.5"W x 14.5"H for the x-small.

Fold Down Pet Crate - Fold Completely Flat

And it comes in different sizes, but for a chihuahua puppy I think probably the x-small?
Yes, this. The dimensions are exactly the same as the crates I have for my two. They're both under 4 lbs adult weight, and are those crates are plenty big enough for them. Jazz is crated during the day while I'm at work, and she's very comfortable in hers. It's even big enough, without being TOO big, that she can snuggle under the blanket that I leave in there for her. She digs around and burrows and gets comfortable, something she could never do in the crate you originally posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts