Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Godric doesn't mark, or hump or do anything else in nature to being male but he does something that aggravates my boyfriend to no end and that's bullys our girl around.

For example, if she's on the sofa he'll hop up and bark her off the sofa and she's so docile she just takes it but it really makes my bf mad. He does it to blankets and their beds too. Then if she tries to get back in it, he'll bark her off.

This is only about a 50/50 thing, sometimes they're peaches and cream, and other times he's a little brat so is this being dominant or playing?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think it is Dominance but I'm not sure what to do to fix the problem! I hope some one else has the answers. I can see why its driving you guys mad :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
My partners dog do this! The new dog would jump on the couch and the other dog was too small to jump up and it would cause hell.

We let them sort out theyre little difference in a controlled environment and made the rule that both on or both off. The new dog got the idea that he had to share the couch because we were always going to pick the other dog up

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that was sort of my train of thought was to let them sort it out on their own, like when he was a baby and was roughhousing her, she'd let him know when to stop; but now that he's getting older i'm worried that this isn't play. And the major problem is that she isn't "fighting back" so to speak, she just kind of takes it and I don't want it to encourage his problem.

I'm not quite sure how to correct it either other than to just restrict them both from the sofa, which my OH doesn't want because she's his princess and he doesn't want to punish her, but at the same time how can I keep 1 on and 1 off you know?

Ugh, sometimes they cuddle and share and other times he's a bully I don't get it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, that was sort of my train of thought was to let them sort it out on their own, like when he was a baby and was roughhousing her, she'd let him know when to stop; but now that he's getting older i'm worried that this isn't play. And the major problem is that she isn't "fighting back" so to speak, she just kind of takes it and I don't want it to encourage his problem.

I'm not quite sure how to correct it either other than to just restrict them both from the sofa, which my OH doesn't want because she's his princess and he doesn't want to punish her, but at the same time how can I keep 1 on and 1 off you know?

Ugh, sometimes they cuddle and share and other times he's a bully I don't get it.
My suggestion would be to have OH have Gretel on his lap and then allow Gordric to come up as well, if he barks put him back on the ground. make sure he knows he is in trouble by giving him a firm no or what ever your word is. After about 30 sec/1min let him back up. if he barks back down.

I know it sounds repetative and it is lol. but he should pick up that his barking gets him no where except on the floor.

hope this helps??

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My suggestion would be to have OH have Gretel on his lap and then allow Gordric to come up as well, if he barks put him back on the ground. make sure he knows he is in trouble by giving him a firm no or what ever your word is. After about 30 sec/1min let him back up. if he barks back down.

I know it sounds repetative and it is lol. but he should pick up that his barking gets him no where except on the floor.

hope this helps??
It does, but the main problem is that we aren't sofa sitters and the problem is primarily at night and while we're away. I don't like letting them have free roam at night, but as they aren't destructive and they generally sleep through the night, he likes to let them sleep where they like.

Gretel used to sleep on the sofa exclusively, then when G got big enough to get on the sofa he decided he didn't want to share, there came the problem and it makes my OH mad when he gets up and she's sleeping on the floor.

He's just a mean brat right now, he's getting neutered at the end of the month and I really hope that mellows him out because he's making me crazy at the moment.

I don't quite understand what's going on, because in regard to treats and toys, she'll put him in his place, but about the sleeping arrangement she's so timid and submissive. Who knows.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It does, but the main problem is that we aren't sofa sitters and the problem is primarily at night and while we're away. I don't like letting them have free roam at night, but as they aren't destructive and they generally sleep through the night, he likes to let them sleep where they like.

Gretel used to sleep on the sofa exclusively, then when G got big enough to get on the sofa he decided he didn't want to share, there came the problem and it makes my OH mad when he gets up and she's sleeping on the floor.

He's just a mean brat right now, he's getting neutered at the end of the month and I really hope that mellows him out because he's making me crazy at the moment.

I don't quite understand what's going on, because in regard to treats and toys, she'll put him in his place, but about the sleeping arrangement she's so timid and submissive. Who knows.
Ahh k I definately see how this would annoy him, specially if its his lil princess! :)

I'm not sure what you would do there? maybe its like human behaviour where its just easier to sleep on the floor?

The only other thing i can suggest is if you hear him barking at her, to go down and rouse on him?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's a barrel of complicated.

We have to close our door because from part of the living room you can see our bedroom, and if he sees us he whines and howls/cries so if I go rouse him, it creates a different problem, which is he cries.

He's been a trial this one. We love him to pieces, but goodness he's testing us!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Ziva does this to Zoey all the time, our trainer has us remove Ziva from the situation & put her in time out (crate) while saying "Ope, too bad", it really has helped her not have as many 'barky barky' issues with Zoey, it really isn't fair to let them keep doing this to the other dog.

·
Registered
602 Posts
He's a barrel of complicated.

We have to close our door because from part of the living room you can see our bedroom, and if he sees us he whines and howls/cries so if I go rouse him, it creates a different problem, which is he cries.

He's been a trial this one. We love him to pieces, but goodness he's testing us!
Haha I wont lie I am a bit of a hard *** when It comes to disipline.

Fiddle used to cry every night when I went to bed and she had to go in her crate, I just put my ipod on and went to sleep haha.

Now we are re crating she cries at about 6am because thats when she used to crawl out of her bed and come jump in mine.

I dont let her out untill she shuts up. :D

Lol its not easy, but I know if I let her crying get to me, she will get away with blue murder! haha

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Heather, i'll have to see how it works.

With Gretel I was a complete hard-nosed disciplinarian. She still knows i'm business and daddy is play, but Godric is something completely different. I've posted about it before, i've NEVER had a dog so resistant to being self sufficient. He STILL cries when we ignore, we don't give into him and usually close the door but he'll continue crying for hours.

He's something else I tell you. We always joke that Gretel is the "red-headed step child" because she tends to get snubbed for attention as we're constantly trying to train him to be a well-behaved gentleman.

I lucked out I think, Gretel is perfect behavior wise and socially but is sometimes pitiful about having "accidents" in the house. Godric is a whiner, and is still afraid of everyone but absolutely 100% about potty training. He'll stop mid thought, run to his pad, and run back about his business.

Just proves they're just like children, they have their own personalities and strengths/weaknesses just like we do.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It sounds like it to me. I wish I could help more...I wouldn't like seeing that either though :( It made me mad even when Kizzie would do little things to Shayley as if she was jealous of her even though Shayley has been here first. Kizzie would run up to Shayley and just bite her leg (NOT playing either lol little rat) It wasn't BAD or anything far out and plus she was just a puppy so whatever she would do things I would just tell her that's a no no and give kisses lol She doesn't do that anymore but she's still a bully she likes to steal treats which we're working on lol

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango wants to be the boss of everything. Luckily Jazz is a good combination.....easygoing, but also assertive when she feels she needs to be. They've mostly worked things out between them and I've tried to stay out of it as much as possible, because unless there is bodily harm happening I think it works better for them to sort it through themselves.

Here's one example of many. Jazz is curled up on the couch on the snuggle bed I have there for them both. Tango decides that's where HE wants to sleep, and will actually try and nudge Jazz out of it, occasionally getting growly. Sometimes Jazz will move, and sometimes she'll growl right back. If she does, Tango will either settle down somewhere else, or just get right in there with her, which Jazz has no problem with. If the situation is reversed, and it's Tango curled up in the snuggle bed, and Jazz wants to get in there with him, Tango will have none of it. Jazz usually ignores his protests and settles down with him anyway. Sometimes Tango will move, sometimes he'll just accept it.

There's going to be some kind of hierarchy in a pack, even if it's only a "pack" of two. That's normal, and instinctive, and I try and not mess with the natural order of things. Tango's generally the more dominant of the two, and that's fine with me, as long as they both recognize me as the alpha, which they do.

The only exception to that, for both of them, are their crates. They each have their own, and there's hell to pay if one of them tries to get into the other's crate. They are very protective of their individual "dens" which I also leave them to sort out. I might intervene if they're getting a little pissy about a toy, or a bed or whatever, but I allow them the right to be protective of their own crates.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tango wants to be the boss of everything. Luckily Jazz is a good combination.....easygoing, but also assertive when she feels she needs to be. They've mostly worked things out between them and I've tried to stay out of it as much as possible, because unless there is bodily harm happening I think it works better for them to sort it through themselves.

Here's one example of many. Jazz is curled up on the couch on the snuggle bed I have there for them both. Tango decides that's where HE wants to sleep, and will actually try and nudge Jazz out of it, occasionally getting growly. Sometimes Jazz will move, and sometimes she'll growl right back. If she does, Tango will either settle down somewhere else, or just get right in there with her, which Jazz has no problem with. If the situation is reversed, and it's Tango curled up in the snuggle bed, and Jazz wants to get in there with him, Tango will have none of it.

There's going to be some kind of hierarchy in a pack, even if it's only a "pack" of two. That's normal, and instinctive, and I try and not mess with the natural order of things. Tango's obviously the more dominant of the two, and that's fine with me, as long as they both recognize me as the alpha, which they do.
Thanks Ronni, that's kind of what happens. They switch off who's alpha. It just makes us mad that he dominates her, but I guess you're right, it'll have to happen either way and if we intervene it may make it worse.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thanks Ronni, that's kind of what happens. They switch off who's alpha. It just makes us mad that he dominates her, but I guess you're right, it'll have to happen either way and if we intervene it may make it worse.
Amanda, I was editing my post and adding a bit more while you were responding! :coolwink:

Just a point...and I don't mean to pick on you but I think it's important to make a clear distinction.

You should ALWAYS be the alpha dog. You're the leader, period. One or the other of your dogs might be dominant, or it might switch back and forth, but no matter what, YOU are alpha. You're the leader and get to say what's what. You "hunt" (provide food) for your pack. You make the rules and enforce them. You administer discipline as needed. All those things make you alpha, which is different from dominant.

And I may well be telling you things you already know, but wanted to make sure anyway because if these roles aren't clear it can leave you very frustrated and your dogs uncertain and anxious.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yes yes, that I knew. And Gretel is pumpkin pie, all I have to do is speak to her stern in the odd event she misbehaves and she falls right back into line, she's very eager to please and very docile.

It's the boy i'm having problems with trying to run me, and now he's trying to run her so I guess you're right i'm just going to have to set the rules out again. I hate raising my voice or penalizing him because she always worries she's going to be in trouble, i'm not sure, she's always been very timid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think alot of the time when you have two dogs that balance each other like mentioned by Ronni things will even out and be perfectly fine..but you mentioned your little one being timid.

One of my dogs used to be really timid. When my male got older he learned that he could push her around constantly. She obviously didn't like it at all but would always slink off. I swear he did it as a sort of game. He was always watching for her and herding her around, etc and I thought it was unfair to let a pack member be 'preyed' upon constantly. It got worse over time, too. She seemed paranoid and would try and stay near me because he'd try and make her move even if she was laying in a spot he never did or push her away if she was sniffing something to try and take anything she might have.

I corrected him for it many times before he started to lay off her and he eventually stopped altogether... I'd just keep them in my sight and when he started in I'd address it. Even something as simple as snapping my fingers and giving him the old dog whisperer poke..Lol. I'd have to agree that if I had a chihuahua doing that he'd lose couch access for being snotty.

But mine weren't allowed free reign of the house either..They were with me constantly and when I leave the house they were in crates..so I can't help that aspect.

Anyway that's just my experience-not with Chi's but with Shepherds.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Heather makes a good point.

If a dog is VERY submissive, they're going to get picked on by the rest of the pack. In the wild, a very submissive animal wouldn't last long They'd be last in line for shelter and food, and if they weren't aggressive enough, they'd miss out, period.....survival of the fittest being the rule. Obviously that's not going to play out with a pack of chihuahuas lol! But a little help for a very submissive dog might be in order if it's extreme, the way Heather describes her situation.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If this is the case I wouldnt worry about it too much. Clearly if she feels strongly enough about something she will exert abit of 'girl power'!, maybe she just isnt too bothered where she sleeps. You do find in a pack that certain things will drive some dogs insane and go right over the head of others.
My Adam is a total fiend when it comes to defending his special toys but I have to protect his dinner for him or else the girls will steal it and he will let them!
He is also a barker though. Sometimes when he wants to play and the girls dont he will stand over them and bark at an eardrum rupturing level until they either give in or take themselves off somewhere quieter!!LOL:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If this is the case I wouldnt worry about it too much. Clearly if she feels strongly enough about something she will exert abit of 'girl power'!, maybe she just isnt too bothered where she sleeps. You do find in a pack that certain things will drive some dogs insane and go right over the head of others.
My Adam is a total fiend when it comes to defending his special toys but I have to protect his dinner for him or else the girls will steal it and he will let them!
He is also a barker though. Sometimes when he wants to play and the girls dont he will stand over them and bark at an eardrum rupturing level until they either give in or take themselves off somewhere quieter!!LOL:rolleyes:
Thanks Cats, just as I read this Gretel stole Godrics "cap" He LOVES playing with caps and she knows it. So this is probably most accurate - she may not care where she sleeps we just assumed she did, we'll just have to keep an eye on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts