Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am really wondering if this is normal because the only other dog I know to ever do this is my Mom's Dalmation.

Right now Raz is crying and barking like crazy because I locked his butt up in his kennel for GROWLING AND NIPPING AT ME!

All I did was go to take of his collar and leash.....am frustrated with the house breaking thing....he's learning to go outside instead of on the biddle pads we have set up in the house.

I opened the door and he took off with both collar and leash, which I take both off at bed time, so when I went to take it off he GROWLED and nipped at me.

This isn't the first time he did it either......punished him then too.

Now as for the Dalmation.....she does it because she's playing but that is only when you grab her leash to give her a walk....she never nips just growls and runs away....like she's playing a game.

So is this normal? am I doing the right thing by punishing him?

I know I should punish him for it but he makes it so hard by crying/barking/carrying on because we are both still up and he's locked up.

:( :cry:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Well, you have to let him know that that isn't o.k. Mine don't do that with their leashes, instead they are actually really cooperative, especially if they are being put on. I'm not sure how you should discipline him though. I used to roll them on their backs until they are submissive which is pretty quick but another member brought to my attention that that can make them worse. So hopefully someone has some better advice for you. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crate training is working for us....the rolling on the back and head locks have made some situations worse...both member suggestions from different groups.

In actuality the big dog methods my mom used: Crate training, smacking his nose when nipping, pushing finger into mouth so that he can't nip, etc. have all worked so far better than anything I've heard suggested to us by members of all groups we belong too.

I think it's because I'm use to them more then he is but he's learning.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
he really shouldnt be going outside to potty at 5 weeks he is too young they do not understand the concept of toilet training very well until 8 weeks of age and he can pick parvo virus up form the grass :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts