Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find Sera's breath is awful bad, i asked the vet the last time i was there and she just said it was "puppy breath" but ive also heard puppy breath smells good :shock: Her ears are also smelly, and i think i see little tiny red bumps in there, maybe from her scratching her ears, not many bumps though... should i be concerned? i started wiiping her ears with special wipes in hopes it would clear the smell.. it hasnt..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh! I got her the "Natures Maricle" brand. It says there 'Pet wipes' you can clean ears,around eyes, feet, and there coat i think.

·
Registered
889 Posts
some people just do not like the smell of puppy breath. just because you don't like it and some people do does not mean sera is sick.

sometimes dog ears can smell if they're dirty. or if they have ear mites. i would call the vet and tell them exactly what you see/smell and they'd be able to better tell you if you need to take her in or not.

good luck :wave:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Puppy's normally have a distinctive "puppy breath", some people like it, some people don't. It's normal and it usually goes away by 4 months of age.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I love puppy breath. Someone should find a way to bottle it. :D I agree maybe call the vet and then you would feel better and it mamy or may not be anything. Better safe than sorry :roll:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I didn't used to like puppy breath but now that it is gone I wish Bosco still had it. :)

I found this on http://www.petbitsforyou.com/eye_ear.html

Good healthy dog ears have no smell, so if you notice an odor coming from the ear, you need take the dog to see a Veterinarian.

If you notice a strong smell, or if the puppy/dog is shaking his head or scratching frequently, then you need to see the Veterinarian for medication.

Another common problem are "ear mites".

These are most often transmitted from infected cats, and the ears really smell badly. A dark brown, thick and profuse wax is present in the ear.
Again, this condition requires medication from a Veterinarian.

"Prick Ears" - those ears that stand up away from the head - do not have the air circulation problem of the "drop ear" dogs, but they are still prone to ear mites and infections, so smell them on a regular basis.

You can clean the ears using a damp cotton ball to wipe the inner ear folds with. Many pet stores sell an ear cleaner solution that dissolves old wax and freshens the ears. I like a product called R7 ear cleaner.

Also, from http://indystar.pets911.com/puppy/article.php?num=11044

If you ever see that your puppy's ears are red, inflamed, swollen, sore, or if there is a foul smell or discharge, your puppy probably has an ear infection. We recommend that you take your puppy to your veterinarian for a thorough examination. Ear infections are relatively common, and are easy to treat if noticed early. But if you ignore it, it can rapidly worsen to a serious condition.

Good luck - keep us posted on how she is doing! :wave:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, Puck had nice puppy breath, but puppy's is usually stinky. She licks herself a lot and licks her (or Puck's poop) and sometimes tries to eat it.

I think you'd have noticed it if your puppy was interested in poop eating, though.

So it seems like it's either a) you don't like puppy breath b) the smell is coming from somewhere else (like ears) and might be related to an infection or c) digestive issues.

I say digestive issues b/c my Grandma has a Maltese with HORRENDOUS breath. He has a really sensitive stomach and will kinda spit up bile a lot and stuff. And he doesn't drink much water, so that is why his breath always smells like road kill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts