Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is gonna be a weird question. It's more about human psychology than Chihuahuas I guess, LOL; but in my case it's all about my girl.
Is it common (I won't use the term 'normal' because I know it's definitely not that) for someone to have a really borderline obsessive relationship with their dog?
Because I'll admit it, as it's impossible to hide it, my dog Kahlua is my life. Like, she's everything to me, she's my world. If I'm not with her, like at work; I miss her. I'm not like, violently suicidal without her or anything but it definitely does effect some aspects. I'm still able to go out and have fun with friends and whatnot, but if I'm allowed to bring her I do. When I am home we're inseparable. I could seriously spend hours just interacting with her and petting her. Everyone who knows me knows it's obsessive; which I don't deny and it's not like they complain. In fact I've been told it's cute just how attached I am. How we both are actually; as she's just as apparently infatuated with me as I am with her. She's well socialized and friendly to everyone, but she wants to be with me constantly. But I'm seriously ADDICTED to my dog. I've never had a kid so I have no idea if it's the same unconditional love people feel toward them; but she is just everything to me. I would do anything to keep her safe; and heaven forbid anyone EVER lay a hand on her. For that matter one of my (now) friends once flailed his arms while incoherently drunk and hit her; I beat the $&@( outta the guy. You do NOT mess with my dog. And I'm a complete hippie at heart, I NEVER resort to violence!!
I just think it's odd, and since I don't know anyone near me quite as devoted just thought I'd ask if anyone else feels quite THAT in love with their dog. I won't take offense, I have OCD so I'm quite prone to addiction of any kind.. haha.
It's just like, I really can't emphasize enough how ever since the moment I got her she's become the center of my universe... It brings me to tears to think about but I honestly do not know how I will even cope when she dies. I once told Rob that when that happens, I'm quitting my job and dedicating my life to worshipping a Kahlua shrine. =P
Just thought I'd put it out there.. maybe I'm a complete lunatic or maybe there's other people like me; only one way to find out. =p

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Nope I'm the same i fret if I'm away from daisy too long and am getting just as bad with lotus now my friends want us all the go away fir a night and I just said no coz I wot leave my dogS

·
Registered
912 Posts
Guilty!

Me too. Not specifically any one of my three are the "favorite" (okay, tiny secret, FINN is the bestest boy that ever was, it's like he's made of GOLD!!!) I am addicted to all three of them. My husband and I can go out and have fun, of course we bring them when we can and make a point to do things that they can do with us. If we can't bring them, it's fine for him to stay out and do whatever, but I at least have to come home and be with them. I feel like they expect certain things at specific times, and I will not let them down. ;) Jerky comes at 3:30, they know this. They would be heartbroken if they didn't get their 3:30 jerky!!! :foxes15: lol.
I've been this way ever since I got Lo, but now that I feel this way, whats another chi in the mix? Kinda my excuse for more!!! haha

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I feel the same way about Zoey, she is truly my 'heart' dog, I take her wherever I go (within reason) due to her collapsing trachea I worry about her so much, she is like my daughter (I don't have kids and we've been trying for 5 & 1/2 years so not sure we ever will have kids. No matter how stubborn or pig headed Zoey is or how much she piddles on the carpet right next to the potty pad, she is still my sweet girl who can do no wrong lol. I'm addicted to buying things for her, treats, blankets, beds (within reason), clothes, bones, chews, leashes etc. Like today, they already have a LARGE drawer full of treats, I went to 3 Petsmarts trying to find a MS bed, and NONE had one they were all out, but I came home with like 4 different kinds of treats/chews for her/them. I have a stroller for my dogs and my hubby constantly makes fun of it. I like for them to go with me on walks when I take Shellie and with their little legs they just can't keep up. They are the 'hit' of the neighborhood, whenever kids see me out and about with my stroller they come running to see Zoey. My hubby thinks I'm nuts sometimes, but they ARE my babies/my kids, my animals always have been, my hubby always gives me grief because sometimes he feels I put the furkids first before him (I try not to) I was single/independent on my own for 8 years after I got out of highschool (well I lived with my sister, we bought a house together) I used to being on my own & spoiling the crap out of my animals, so it's still hard for me to break that habit. Ziva is quickly warming her way into my heart just as much as Zoey. Don't get me wrong I love Shellie my golden retriever to pieces, but to me there is just something about the tiny dogs that steals your heart more (IMO).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol You're too cute! I can't lie, I'm the same way with my girls. Like you, I don't have any kids either (yet!) and I'm pretty sure it is the same way because I know if I spoil and love my dogs this much with kids it may be even worse (in a good way lol) I too have a life, go out and have fun with family, friends but STILL love my dogs and yes they are my life. I dont like the saying they aren't our whole life, because really they should be if they are apart of our family. That's how I feel about dogs anyways....

When my fiance and I go for a get away at Ameristar Hotel (That doesn't allow dogs :( :( :( ) I call my mom (Who watches them lol) and I check up on them ask how they are doing and everything, at least twice if not more lol.... like I would do my own kids lol So it's definitely normal to me because I think dogs should be treated and spoiled like we would want and your little baby is sooo lucky to have you as a mama because she has the life! Just like mine do, I know my dogs are lucky to have me and I'm sooo lucky to have them! I feel like it's equal!

Don't worry about it because if you're happy with the way you are and your relationship with your little baby then that is all that matters. I have friends who LOVE dogs and friends who only LIKE dogs and they think I spoil my dogs more than they spoil their kids and I know I do lol I don't care what they think ever! It's just who I am and how I am when it comes to animals and loving them. :love2:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I'm the same with Honey, and I am a mum to 2 Humans also! I feel the same way about her as I do my human kiddies :) ...maybe were all strange :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG you people make me feel so good... here I am thinking I'm some psycho dog lady.. I should've posted this a long time ago!!
Lua is def my heart dog, or souldog as I call it. Everytime she comes up to me or does something sweet my heart just melts. It doesn't matter if it's the worst day in the world, just looking into her eyes or having her 'show me her bear' makes everything immediately better. Phew.. I'm gonna go curl up with my baby now and not feel so alone LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have nly had luna for a short time she is a yr and a half old and im her second owner

i can honestly say i lover her alot i have 2 children and its almost the same lol i bring her with me everywhere and enjoy just having her around

theres nothing wrong with loving your dog ALOTTTT my husband and i used to foster great danes and every foster we had good or bad we loved even the one who had such horrible gas it would clear a room lol i still loved him even though i was prego and everytime he tooted i would vomit ! anyways your normal dont sweat it animals touch us in ways we cant understand and envoke such a love its almost unbelieveable

·
Registered
162 Posts
I must say, I think it is the breed. I have 3 pugs, too, and have had dogs my whole life. My Chippy is the first Chi I've had, and my family laughs and comments all the time about my "unnatural attachment" to him and his for me! I too miss him when I am at work, and when I walk in the door he goes nuts, and I say hello to him before my human family. I love all of my dogs, they are all special, but Chippy is EXTREMLY special. When I am not working, he is with me. I take him everywhere unless I am specifically told that he is not welcome. And if I am told this, I actually get offended! Lol. Anyway, you are not alone, and I totally think it is a Chihuahua thing! Chippy agrees!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I must say, I think it is the breed. I have 3 pugs, too, and have had dogs my whole life. My Chippy is the first Chi I've had, and my family laughs and comments all the time about my "unnatural attachment" to him and his for me! I too miss him when I am at work, and when I walk in the door he goes nuts, and I say hello to him before my human family. I love all of my dogs, they are all special, but Chippy is EXTREMLY special. When I am not working, he is with me. I take him everywhere unless I am specifically told that he is not welcome. And if I am told this, I actually get offended! Lol. Anyway, you are not alone, and I totally think it is a Chihuahua thing! Chippy agrees!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I guess it's not just me. I feel the same about Smeagol. He's my baby. He actually changed me. My husband said that I'm more calm and happy since we've got Smeagol. We have difficulty having children. Hopefully with Smeagol around and how happy he makes my life now, soon we will have our own kid. But Smeagol will still be our first born.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I guess we're all like it then. I am the same with Bailey, I would much rather stay in with him than go out. However I am off to Florida next year on hols for 2 weeks and I know that as it approaches I will get really anxious about leaving him. I know he will be well cared for, I currently live with my parents and my mum is like a second mum to Bailey and dad loves him to bits so I know he won't fret, he probably wont even miss me lol. Lots of pressies to be brought back for him though :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
yes it's common

I am OBSESSED with Ninja when I am at work or out I cannot wait to get home to be with him. I wish we were siamese twins hahah I always said if he was human I would marry him. I love him so much it hurts. He's my bestfriend in the whole entire earth I literally cannot stop kissing him for 5 mins out of a day and snuggling him. In fact I stopped 3 times while typing this to kiss him and blow on his skin lol

Before NInja came along I was obsessed with Baby-love lol I still love her a lot but she is more independent now. She still has a big part of my heart she was my first chi chi.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Prada she's not really a people snuggler if she does it isn't for long but she is very smart and is my miracle baby! When Baby-Love was pregnant I prayed every day for a girl version of Ninja she was the last born out of 4 and I was thrilled.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well its normal here at least, lol.
I am the same way about Reese. I love all the dogs a lot, but Reese is just that special dog that youre lucky to get once in a lifetime. We are totally bonded, and I hate leaving him. My friend just got a new apartment in the city and Im going to visit her next week, she invited me to stay over but I said no, almost entirely because I dont want to be away from Reese (I would also miss my amazing bed, and I suppose my fiance and the other dogs, haha). I am happiest with Reese, and often think I wouldnt mind going to work or classes so much if I could just bring him. Whenever I can work it so he can run errands or go visit people with me, I do. I bartend, and on off nights when I go in to hang out Ill often bring him and he just sits on my lap :)
Of course I would be really devastated if something happened to any of our pets, particularly the chis who bond so close with us, but I actively WORRY about not having Reese, and he is only 2. Im honestly hoping he lives to be 40, because when I lose him, which is hard to even type! I know I will probably need to be committed.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think we're all obssessed arent we?
I love my surrogate kids to bits and from the minute I get in the house I keep up a stream of silly baby talk towards them!:rolleyes: Thank goodness Chis are such cuddlebugs too coz I cant go for more then an hour without having a cuddle from one of my furkids. If Im not with them Im counting the minutes til I can be again as well.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think I must be face-booking too much, as I find myself wanting to hit "like" on all of your posts! Lol. It's good to know I am not the only one obsessed with my chi! I kiss my Chippy boy so much my 13 year old daughter acuses me of making out with him!

Glad I found you all here!:):)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts