Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is your chi pee pad trained or "spot" trained? I took away Angel's pee pads two weeks ago. I thought, wow, he is doing good! Of course, I was vigilant on watching him. Well, today, I guess I wasn't so vigilant!! Twice, today, he pooped in his "SPOT!" At home and at work!

So, it turns out, as I figured, he is "SPOT" trained!! I took away the pads because he is 9 lbs and frequently his pee ran off the edge of the pad! I hate cleaning pee after it runs underneath! I could use a tray or frame, but that would give me the same thing!

Oh well, I'll have to give this one some thought!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think that Chloe is actually pad trained and not spot trained. When we go on trips, she always uses the pad no matter where we are. We use a tray at home and when we are on trips she will use the pad whether it's in the tray or not. We also recently rearranged where he pad in the bedroom was because we moved the furniture and she went right to the pad and used it in it's new spot without trouble.

I think that it doesn't necessarily means Angel was only spot trained. If you still had pads and moved them, she may have still gone to the pad. But when she needed to go and couldn't find the pad it makes sense to just go where it used to be.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My crew is spot and pad trained. As in, if I have the washable pads in the wash and lay down newspaper as a last resort they have no problems using it in the same area.

That said, if I move the pads, they will use them wherever they're at which is excellent for traveling. I honestly had thought that carpeting would be horrible with such a large pack, but it's really helped them to develop a strong substrate preference. They know the soft cushy carpet is not a pee-pee area. =D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mine are pad trained. I know this coz my friend who dog sits tends to just put one pad down and often in what I think is a really random place on the floor! The dogs always go to use it, although sometimes they might miss if they just get their front feet on it and forget their bottoms!!:rolleyes:
As long as the weathers nice though they usually prefer to go to the toilet in the garden or out on walks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My bitty girl goes outside- so I'm guessing she is spot trained?... lol.
We tried the puppy pads, but for some reason she HAS* to walk when she poo's- so that didn't work out so well. Poor thing would start out on the puppy pad, but end up about 3 feet from it... sigh. lol

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found out something new last night about Angel. I heard him whining at the bottom of the stairs. I figured he wanted to get to the cat! I kept telling him "no." All of a sudden, it dawned on me - he wanted to poop! If allowed to go upstairs he will ALWAYS poop in the hallway!!

So, I aksed if he needed to go out and he ran to the door!

So now I have another sign to look for when he needs to potty!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is 7 and has always used pads all her life. She refuses to go outside in the winter for any reason so I had no choice. She's a sun bather lol..

Mine too tends to run off the pad because she's a big girl and is constantly going with her medications so I use more than one pad and actually had to put them in a closet with a waterproof hardwood floor. Plus use a pet urine eliminating spray to clean the floor So now it works wonders!! But even if I forget to put clean pads down or I'm in the middle of cleaning it still will still go in that closet and tinkle so I guess she's spot trained lol

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.