Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at all the great pictures and really studying the smooth coats and I have seen a great variation in coats. Some are really thick and look double coated, with an undercoat and a lot of feathering on the tail and around the ruff (neck and chest). Others are really, really smooth with no undercoat at all.

Which coat is correct? What is a smooth coat really supposed to look like??

Brodys coat is slick and shiny with NO undercoat at all. Even the underside of his tail is really smooth and tight with no extra feathering. He doesn't shed at ALL. He feels warm to the touch, like velvet. :)

Just wondering if others have noticed this difference/variation in coat types in the smooth?

Will his coat change as he gets older and maybe get thicker???

Brodysmom

·
Registered
329 Posts
my folks have one of each. Their apple head is s/c and has an under coat and sheds all the time the other is a deer head s/c no under coat and doesnt shed as much. they are both over 4 yrs old. been that way the whole time.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm... I just looked up the AKC standard. (Guess I should have done that before I posted!)

Coat
In the Smooth Coats, the coat should be of soft texture, close and glossy. (Heavier coats with undercoats permissible.) Coat placed well over body with ruff on neck preferred, and more scanty on head and ears. Hair on tail preferred furry.
In Long Coats, the coat should be of a soft texture, either flat or slightly wavy, with undercoat preferred. Ears – Fringed. Tail – Full and long (as a plume). Feathering on feet and legs, pants on hind legs and large ruff on the neck desired and preferred. (The Chihuahua should be groomed only to create a neat appearance.) Disqualification – In Long Coats, too thin coat that resembles bareness.

So I guess that is what the standard calls for! I wonder if his coat will thicken as he grows? I think he is lovely the way he is, I'm just curious. :)

Brodysmom

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Brody would be disqualified too! NO doubt. His coat is like a mouse. I can't think of another way to describe it. It's really soft and sleek and really short, like velvet almost. He doesn't have any longer hairs, even around his neck or on the back of his legs. In fact, his coat is really thin there. We think he's beautiful but he's no show dog! LOL!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Him, I think Kali has the same kind of coat. Very short and dense hairs, but not heavy at all. If you've ever petted a girl-rat... it feels like that, but softer. Actually, she has a few baldish patches near her bum/tail and around the elbows.

I've taken to leaving her in clothing more, since when I don't she is always cold and won't leave the blanket pile on the bed. But, I am afraid I'm ruining her coat???? Ah! I don't know. Does anyone?

I'm hoping it grows back on the bald spots though!

·
Registered
184 Posts
3 of mine are very smooth coats but Dexter has a rough coat which is just a thicker version of sc. I love it, he stays warmer than the others...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think carrera has the undercoat your talking about, hers isnt that velvety.
are your coats like a dobermans?
carreras is more course,kind of like terrior fur, and she sheds ALOT, but it is really shiny from her fish oil, and she has her really soft spots like around her ears and so forth.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think carrera has the undercoat your talking about, hers isnt that velvety.
are your coats like a dobermans?
carreras is more course,kind of like terrior fur, and she sheds ALOT, but it is really shiny from her fish oil, and she has her really soft spots like around her ears and so forth.
Yes! Brody's coat is like a doberman. A single, flat, very short and satin like coat. I described it earlier like mouse fur. LOL! I should have thought of a dog that it was similar to. So many dogs have double or harsh feeling coats. My sister had a dalmatian. It's nothing like that. Maybe a really soft smooth Dachshund?

Well, according to the standard - his coat is not correct but that's OK. He's so soft and warm to the touch that I can't stop petting him. :)

I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but his coat is really shiny, short and smooth....

·
Registered
700 Posts
I really like brody's kind of coat, i thought thats what carreras would be like,being that she was a short coat, but its not looking like it will change. I thought the standard was what he has, never looked it up-- if you put him and carrera next to each other and asked whose is smoother it would be his, so i wonder why his isnt the standard.

At the end of the day i like them both!

·
Registered
700 Posts
oh and thinking about it---carreras mom was a lc,so thats probably why hers is the way it is. was brodys parents very smooth?
I'll try to get a close up picture of carreras fur when i find my camera charger...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Brody's parents had the same fur as him. Neither of them show dogs, just pets. Just take a look at the show dog smooth coats and they have that thick, full coat with the long hair on the tail and the gorgeous thick ruff around the neck. Brody's hair is so thin compared to theirs!

You can go to Westminster Dog Show's page and look at the videos of last year's breed judging. I went to toys and then to Chi's and here it is:

http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=217215

All these Chi's are champions and were invited to participate, depending on their national ranking. So it's safe to say that they are an accurate and good portrayal of our standard. Look at those thick coats! :)

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sorry to come so late to the discussion, but I just had to pull this one up since it touches on a subject that I was curious about as well. I love, love, love the double coat on a smooth chihuahua, but I haven't seen many of them. Pablo from YouTube is a beautiful double-coated fellow, but his baby pictures show him as being a sparse little puppy. Poppet was smooth coated when he was younger, but his coat really seemed to thicken (mostly on the neck area) when he became elderly. Boo's always been smooth. He has no fur on his chest and is very bare around the ears. The old "real life" double coat I've seen on a chi was at Tilly's breeder's house. Her father was a long-haired chi and her mother a smooth. I don't know if that's why her and her brother came out with thick, slightly wavy caots, but it might be.

Here's a picture of Pablo, my idealized chi in looks. He has a great personality too.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Both of Jasper's parents were long coated chi's. Mom had a nice
smooth long coat as did his daddy. Jasper ended up with a wavy,
long double coat. He has the fanning on his tail and toes,
the ruff around the neck and fluff around his legs.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread!!! Same question as I've been having. Bambi's coat was just like Brody's (I loved it). Chloe's is much softer and feels so different. Her Dad was LC and her Mom was SC so I didn't know if that was why. I also didn't know if she'll lose this coat? She's 4 months old. Both shortcoat but so different. I have to be honest, I loved Bambi's coat. It was so sleek and shiny. That's what I thought a SC was. I've only had the LC so this is new to me but now I'm so hooked on the SC. I love Chloe's but I really loved Bam's.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeanie - I agree with you completely! Our little mousey coat boys may not be correct as to the standard but they are FIRST PLACE in our HEARTS! :) Right?! LOL!

Brodysmom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts