Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok... So Chester is around 5 Months..
Potty training is going great still in process of it though... Occasional house accidents, but I take him every 1-2hrrs and he has learned what the word potty means...

Anyways I think I have a issue with whining, I don't know if he is going to grow out of it... or is just whining because he thinks he will get his way?

Give some examples...

Sometimes I have to go to the bathroom, or upstairs to get something, I don't let him up I say stay.. He will stay but he will whine the entire time I am upstairs, And I hate hate hate coming back down when he whines.... Is this bad teaching him when he whines he gets me to come back down?

Same thing goes in the bathroom, he waits outside sitting or scratching on the door but he would whine... I mean I can't wait all day in the bathroom, for him to stop lol

When I am eating, he looks at me and whines.... of course I don't feed him human food... of course I already fed him...

When we take him out for walks... he walks.. when he sees people he gets excited when they walk away he would whine...

When any member of the family leaves the house he would whine by the front door!

In the morning as soon as I come in the room he would start whinning in his playpen, I would usually make him go potty in his litter box, then let him out... but he would whine the entire time until he finishes potty then he is quiet is usually when I let him out...

When I take him to go potty in his litter box.. I would say Go Potty Chester!
He would jump in circle the litter box a few times WHILE whining then pee.... then hop out...

Of course he doesn't whine 24.7 all day long, but he does whine alot when certain things are happening.... like if I can't be with him a sec or any1 leaves

I am concern this might be a recurring future issue......

And there are more example's... but I don't wanna write too much lol

I love Chester, he doesn't chew, doesn't bark, is nice to other dogs / people, but the whining can be driving me crazy just a bit :p

·
Registered
588 Posts
Potty training is going great still in process of it though... Occasional house accidents, but I take him every 1-2hrrs and he has learned what the word potty means...

Anyways I think I have a issue with whining, I don't know if he is going to grow out of it... or is just whining because he thinks he will get his way?

Give some examples...

Sometimes I have to go to the bathroom, or upstairs to get something, I don't let him up I say stay.. He will stay but he will whine the entire time I am upstairs, And I hate hate hate coming back down when he whines.... Is this bad teaching him when he whines he gets me to come back down?

Same thing goes in the bathroom, he waits outside sitting or scratching on the door but he would whine... I mean I can't wait all day in the bathroom, for him to stop lol

When I am eating, he looks at me and whines.... of course I don't feed him human food... of course I already fed him...

When we take him out for walks... he walks.. when he sees people he gets excited when they walk away he would whine...

When any member of the family leaves the house he would whine by the front door!

In the morning as soon as I come in the room he would start whinning in his playpen, I would usually make him go potty in his litter box, then let him out... but he would whine the entire time until he finishes potty then he is quiet is usually when I let him out...

He would jump in circle the litter box a few times WHILE whining then pee.... then hop out...

Of course he doesn't whine 24.7 all day long, but he does whine alot when certain things are happening.... like if I can't be with him a sec or any1 leaves

I love Chester, he doesn't chew, doesn't bark, is nice to other dogs / people, but the whining can be driving me crazy just a bit :p

My newest whines a lot. lol, not quite as much as your little guy. It sounds to me like he is trying to get your attention, and he does. The advice I would give would be to ignore his whining completely. Don't even acknowledge the pup while he's doing it.

Lol, it gets frustrating when the whining is driving you bonkers, but once he realizes that whining is not getting your attention, he should lessen how he does it.

It is also a tool to communicate, and my dogs have different types of whines.... so I don't think whining would always necessarily be a bad thing.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts

Give some examples...

technically yes but i'd come back down and ignore him til he shuts up

You need to correct him.. how do you normally correct him when he does something wrong.. i wouldn't have him scratching at the door.. he's not a cat.. i use a sound that Daisy knows means that she's in the wrong.. it works
Big mistake feeding him before you.. you've basically told him he's more important that you in the house.. Always feed him after you.. if you don't want to eat take a bite of something, an apple anything and make sure he sees you chewing on it!! He's whining because he wants it.. Crate him or but him in his bed whilst you're having dinner.. its bad manners for dogs to whine/beg etc at the table!! He'll get the picture eventually

Distract him.. walking is on your terms not his!!

This is because his pack is being split up.. its separation anxiety... distract him and play with him

Don't look at him just put him in his toilet area.. if he whines ignore him.. i would say correct him but he might think that you mean don't potty so ignore him
Its excitement.. don't nurture the excitement again i'd ignore this

My posts sound really harsh i dont mean thtem too.. i remeber he's whined since day one.. i thought it was coz he was missing his mum and his litter mates.. i think he's just a bit of a winging dog (like a moaney old man lol) You really need to correct him tho.. we use a sound here doesn't matter what it is but the dog needs to know that what they're doing isn't acceptable.. i use a sound for everything i correct daisy with and she gets poked if she carries on (big cesar milan fan btw.. you should watch his show it may help)

The whining could turn into barking at somepoint which will do your head in.. you need to try and get on top of it now.. be firm but fair!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds like I would start teaching him "quiet." Best way to do this is use a squirt bottle. When he whines, tell him "quiet" and at the very next sound, say "quiet" again while squirting him with the water. This startles them and they stop whining or barking. If you get one with a long range, it will work from the top of the stairs. As for the bathroom, you can go in, tell him "quiet" with the door closed but if he whines, open the door and correct him.

When walking outside, distract him, getting his focus back on you, and keep walking. Same when someone leaves the house.

Stay with it, be consistent, and he will learn these commands. Even when mine are completely riled up and super excited, if they don't quiet, all I have to do is raise the bottle and they settle. :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Jerry is my whiner.
In his case, it stems from separation anxiety.
When I got Tabitha, it stopped. But, lately, he has
started up again. I'm not sure what will "cure" it.
I've noticed that if he gets a good exercise session during
the day, the whining is lessened.
It does tend to wear on your nerves :(
I hope you find a solution for Chester.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Jerry is my whiner.
In his case, it stems from separation anxiety.
When I got Tabitha, it stopped. But, lately, he has
started up again. I'm not sure what will "cure" it.
I've noticed that if he gets a good exercise session during
the day, the whining is lessened.
It does tend to wear on your nerves :(
I hope you find a solution for Chester.
Totally off topic but i LOVE your sig.. the bottom pic of Jerry with the wind in his fur he looks like a little vampire chi coz i can see his 'fangs' haha cute

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, Thanks everyoen for advice......

I would eat first and have him watch but, but I snack alot lol.... So sometimes that happens and he does it even after I finish then let him...

As far as making a sound I usually use sshftttt to quiet him... I think my family memebers do it too, but that doesn't seem to help too much, of course I will continue doing it....

I think he whines more then the first week I had him....... Ugh but at night it's been more quieter...

I will update in awhile to let yall know the status of his whining....

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Poke him... on his neck or back leg.. like his mum would do if she saw him misbehaving.. not hard but just enough to show him that you do not find his behaviour acceptable.. it might work.. you won't hurt him its just a sharp enough poke to kick him out of it..

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I know one thing i learned on dog whisperer is not to make a big deal when you're coming or going to the dog. Leila stays in a pen area a large portion of the day in the kitchen which i walk thru constantly.(in the middle of the house) and I make a point of trying not to say anything to her when i come in the room or go out, at least until i've been in there a min or two. That way she isn't expecting my attention every single time i come in. She just sits there and waits. She is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my puppy seems to do the same thing she stopped for two weeks but now its back she whines every time someone leaves the house and especially when its time for us to go to bed shes driving me nuts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update.. 2 days of Constantly Ignoring / Sshft! every time he whines... he has been whining less.. I also been doing crate exercises where I put him in... he whines I ssshft him, as soon as hes quiet... I let him out I kept doing this till he can last about 3-5minutes quiet.... lol

Still got a long way to go thou he sometimes forgets, but I tell him to quiet when I go up, and he's quiet today... I went about 3-4 times upstairs... :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts