Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cody and Callie had me up all night. They both had sick tummies and had to keep going out. I was so tired that when Cody whined (again!) this morning I could hardly wake up. I was a little late and he went all in the crate. :eek: It's really an exercise pen that all 3 dogs sleep in. Gosh what a mess. I had to clean that up and throw all the bedding in the wash. While I was doing all of that, Callie got sick all over the carpet. :shock:

I don't know if you all remember but Annabelle has been really sick. At one time they thought it was Cushings :roll: but then decided it was most likely Giardia. I called the vet this morning and they asked me to bring in stool samples for Cody and Callie. Boy that was fun. So I did and got a call from the vet this afternoon. Cody and Callie tested positive for Giardia. All 3 dogs are now on medication and hopefully this will take care of it for good!

I just don't know where they could have picked this up. Since it is kind of hard to take all 3 dogs out, we hardly ever take them anywhere. I do have a small fountain out back that is hard to keep clean. I've never seen them drink from it but I guess it is a possibility. I think I'm going to use it as a planter and plant flowers in it, just in case that is the culprit.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
What is Giardia? If can be taken care of that must be great news for Annabelle rather than the Cushings!

Poor babies, I hope they all get better FAST! :wink:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is great news Kari that it isn't Cushing's!!! Giardia is a parasite that they get from stagnet water. One of Lori's chi's just had a bout with this too.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot one thing!!!!!!!!!!!! I was walking in the door from picking up the medicine and we could not find Callie anywhere. We looked and looked! We looked all over the house in the fenced in backyard and could not find her. I was almost in tears. I was certain that she had gotten out when one of us opened the door. I sent my husband down the street to look for her but decided I should look in the pantry. We always keep that door closed so I didn't think she would be there. Well! I opened the door and there she was! I was so relieved.

Then!!! About an hour later my husband yelled, Callie got into ant bait! :eek: It was in the pantry and since we keep that door closed didn't worry about the dogs getting into it. When she was locked in there she got into it.

I called the Emergency Vet. They had me call Animal Poison Control. Thank goodness they don't think it will be too much of a problem. We aren't even sure if she got any of the poison but she definitely chewed the container. They told me to give her 2 tsp of milk and half a slice of bread. They gave me some other instructions if I start seeing other symptoms but hopefully there won't be any.

It cost me $50 for that phone call. :shock: Plus I just spent $35 at the Vet's. Oh well at least I don't have to take her into the Emergency Vet's and they think she will be okay. She's really living up to her nickname of Calliecostalot. :wink:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Good grief you do have a lot happening I am so glad Annabelle does not have Cushings but I hope all your babies are well soon :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
oh man giardia is nasty! same with coccidea. i hate parasites. :evil: i wouldn't doubt it's from the fountain.

50 bucks for a phone call!!!! what???

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
luv4mygirls said:
oh man giardia is nasty! same with coccidea. i hate parasites. :evil: i wouldn't doubt it's from the fountain.

50 bucks for a phone call!!!! what???
That's what I thought! :shock: I guess they do need funding to stay on call 24 hrs a day but 50 bucks! I'm just glad they were able to tell me what to do over the phone. I'm still not sure if she got any of the poison. She's acting fine. Thank goodness! :)

Yeah, Giardia is bad but I'm so glad it wasn't Cushing's. I just hate that all my babies have it now. Well Cody and Callie do. Annabelle is taking the medicine as a precaution since she's the one that started the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
You have really had a rough day, haven't you. On a positive note, at least it is something easily treatable.

Here's hoping the rest of your week is much better. Hugs to all your furbabies. Is Annabelle staying out of the corner now? I can still close my eyes and see that picture. It was just so terribly sad.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys so much! Yes we've all had a rough day. Surely tomorrow will be better. :)

Chimom, Annabelle is out of the corner! Hurray! :D I can tell she feels so much better. Now if I could just get her to relax a little and play with my other 2. :wink:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Oh poor you. You really have had a time and a half of it and you have coped so well with it all. Hope your babies have a really speedy recovery and their Mommy can relax and get some well deserved rest.

·
Registered
889 Posts
oh gosh!! what a terrible ordeal... i hope your babies feel better really soon! i was wondering if maybe cody and callie got giardia from annabelle. but i'm not sure if it's passed that way.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Wow, you've been through a rough few weeks huh? I hope your babies get better really soon! And be careful you don't get it too! That's all you'd need !!! :roll:

Thoughts to a quick recovery for your three :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
colleen13 said:
oh gosh!! what a terrible ordeal... i hope your babies feel better really soon! i was wondering if maybe cody and callie got giardia from annabelle. but i'm not sure if it's passed that way.
Yes I think they can pass it to each other. That's why I was so glad Callie got sick. I knew then that Annabelle didn't have a horrible disease. I won't go into details how they could have passed it to each other. It's gross! :?

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts everyone. Hopefully this round of medicine will do the trick for them. :wink:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
OH geesh!!! There must be something they are all getting into around the yard. Can they get to dirty water? Echo's was caused by something she ate out of the garbage :? There was no other way for her to get into anything but the trash. :? I am so glad you found out it wasnt Cushings :) Those babies are going to give you grey hair before its time :lol:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know Lori, I think I see a few gray hairs already! I have a small fountain in the back that is hard for me to keep clean. I never see them drinking from it but it's the only thing I can think of. I'm going to make a planter out of it so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks Mia's mom. They all slept good last night (which means I did :wink: ) just after 1 dose! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts