Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies and gents...I feel helpless here today, Gizmo hasnt eaten or drank all day, he just lays there either in his bed or on my lap. I know he's teething, one or two loose fangs as I call them so here's my question. Is it normal for these little guys to not want to eat while teething? Any suggestions will do lol...I feel bad for him, breaks my heart. Thanks

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
That's normal :)
It's just like when babies are teething- they don't feel good.
Maybe you could give him wet food, or soften his kibble up with a bit of water.
Poor guy, I hope he gets his appetite back soon :)
If he's acting really lethargic I would be worried.
And maybe try to get him to eat something so his blood sugar doesn't drop.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried offering the wet food, along with some water, heck I've offered everything I can think of today..he just wants to sit on me or if I have to get up to do something he goes to his bed. Doesnt want to play either.
I hate to give him people food but I might break down and try after dinner, he usually tries to beg for that lol but I won't let the kids give him any. He just seems depressed..which is not like him at all.
Thanks for you suggestions..

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i hope he feels better soon :)

when teddy was teething all he wanted to do was chew on his nylabone. i actually couldn't watch him do it for too long. the thought of him chewing that hard bone with loose teeth :oops:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Giz won't try and chew anything, I just tried peanut butter on my fingertip and nope, he turned his head at that also. Yesterday even with the tooth loose he was running and playing, today nothing. They must be like human babies, mouth hurts. Poor little guy..
Thanks girls.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If he doesnt liven up soon I just might be making a trip. I know he's had lazy days before and hasnt eaten until later than evening but with his teething I just don't know if it's a "lazy day" or his mouth is bothering him.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
dodger was just like that, one day he was fine, the next decided to be prissy.
its actualy normal during teething, make sure to keep the vitapaste handy and rub a little on his gums if hes acting REALY dopey, but yes teething is painfull and can make them feel off, dodger slept through it most days.

if hes especially picky try cooking up some ground beef with a touch of garlic and then melt a little cheese over it...it can usually tempt them lol.
he was acting fine yesterday while here so id personally not be too worried...
if hes still acting off tomorrow you could call our vet and see if they sggest taking him for the dr to look at...but its likely just the teething, the canines (fangs) tend to be the worst when teething...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly Gem, You saw him yesterday full of piss and vinegar lol.. I will try the meat/garlic since I am cooking beef for dinner. See he's just like daddy lol. I will be making a call if he's no better or hasnt perked up abit tomorrow. You know me, I worry too much at times..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Update on Gizmo. I swear sometime he acts this way to scare me and to get pity lol. I went out tonight to get some teething bones I came home to him playing, running around and barking up at storm with hubby. He did eat some beef at dinner then went back and laid down. I was nearly in tears with the way he was acting. Now he's running around pestering anyone he can find to pester. lol It's a act I tell ya lol

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
typical boy. lol

for a good teething toy, wet his kong and throw it in the freezer for about 1/2hour. take it out fill it with his food and let him chew...the cold rubber will help sooth the gums :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the teething toys is for freezer to mouth lol..The girls were pacing the store while I read every package lol...He's a handul tonight.. Thanks for the suggestions though..

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'm a little late, but mine have done that to me and I've been worried to death. (I don't know if it was when they were teething or not.) That's when I pull out the Nutrical. I've never seen them refuse to take a nip of that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh he's back to 100% being himself today. lol I tell ya, he does this just to keep me on my toes. Oh and he knows he gets babied more lol..
Today he's eating fine and tormenting anyone and everyone..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts