Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a few pet stores that sells puppies. I have been to these places because every time i see a pet store i always have to stop and look at all the cute little pups. well, some of them offer financing. can you believe it? maybe it's just me, but i think it's rediculous and heartbreaking. these pups are outrageously priced. chi's are at least $1200, jack russels are at least $1000, beagles are at least $900.

this is heartbreaking because lets say you qualify to "finance" a dog. if you're late on a payment do they just come and take the dog away? or how about this: you go in there with your little child...you can't afford to buy a pup outright, so you apply for financing. while you are waiting 20 mins to a half hour to see if you are approved, you and your child fall in love with a certain pup, the whole time the owner/employee is telling you "oh, you'll make such a good owner for him. he's so precious, he just loves you guys. he'll have such a good home with you." things like that...making you think you're definitely getting approved and will go home with the puppy. then, after you and your child are all excited, you get the news "oh, sorry, you didn't get approved." i have seen this happen at one of these "financing" puppy stores...the child was devastated and when i got in my car after leaving i actually cried!

maybe it's just me, but i think it's cruel to overprice pups like this and offer financing. the sad thing is, is that these pups are so expensive, they end up staying at the pet stores until they are 6 or 7 months old and then in an act of desperation, the owners reduce their prices to $400 or less. It's just terrible. I feel so bad for these dogs.

I hope you all understand what i'm trying to explain in my post and i hope none of it is taken the wrong way. i just wanted to express my anger about this kind of situation.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I can't even go into one of those pet stores because I instantly dissolve in tears. I know where those puppies come from and it breaks my heart. :cry:

People will pay those ridiculous prices (and finance a puppy as if it were a piece of property :x ) for dogs that probably are not going to be healthy, given where they come from.

And can you imagine letting a puppy sit in a crate at a pet store for 6 or 7 months????? :angry5:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This is not just sad, this is unhumane!! Dogs are living beings and should not be sold like cars or new kitchens :x . I can't believe people are as naive as to fall for that. I wish people could just educate themselves and realise that if you want a puppy, take time and find a good breeder. Someone that knows what he's doing and will offer a responsible advice and answer all your questions about that certain breed.

Christina

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Ory&C said:
This is not just sad, this is unhumane!! Dogs are living beings and should not be sold like cars or new kitchens :x . I can't believe people are as naive as to fall for that. I wish people could just educate themselves and realise that if you want a puppy, take time and find a good breeder. Someone that knows what he's doing and will offer a responsible advice and answer all your questions about that certain breed.

Christina
And with a breeder you will pay much less, get a healthier and more socially adjusted puppy with fewer behavioral problems down the line. There is no advantage to buying from a pet store except that you can do it NOW with no planning and no thought.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i've been having debt problems because of the guy i was with 3 1/2 years ago (not alex my recent ex) and they sent someone to my house to collect on the debt and the guy was asking about the dogs (all of which my mom said were hers thank god) ! if he knew chiwi was mine guess what, he'd seize her and sell her at auction. so yes if you can't pay the bill for the financing of the puppy they will come and seize it. (note that is not how i got chiwi i got her from a breeder but since she is my "possession" bill collectors can take her as well as my car and anything else i own.)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Education is the answer...we must be diligent in informing the general public as to why they should not buy from pet stores ! I always encourage interested people to look for rescue groups or to buy directly from the breeders. I find for the most part, people are unaware of puppy mills...........and they are thankful to be informed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luv4mygirls said:
i've been having debt problems because of the guy i was with 3 1/2 years ago (not alex my recent ex) and they sent someone to my house to collect on the debt and the guy was asking about the dogs (all of which my mom said were hers thank god) ! if he knew chiwi was mine guess what, he'd seize her and sell her at auction. so yes if you can't pay the bill for the financing of the puppy they will come and seize it. (note that is not how i got chiwi i got her from a breeder but since she is my "possession" bill collectors can take her as well as my car and anything else i own.)
Oh my...i can't believe that they would've taken chiwi. i'd seriously knock someone out before they took my dog.

I'm with you Rachael...how can the people who run these places try to get people to finance a dog? like it's some kind of car. these poor animals are living creatures and it is cruel for the owners of these stores to do this to the dogs and to the people.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Terrible :evil:
I know that there are people that go to breeders and purchase whole litters from breeders and they do this all over the country and that is what they do is supply pet shops with dogs. thay only give like $100.00 for the dog no matter the breed I have a great aunt that sells her litters this way. Of course she is a irresponsible breeder and to darn old to even be dealing with dogs in my opinion but its there fault. if breeders like her wouldnt be so darn lazy by just selling to the puppy trucks then the pet stores wouldnt have the dogs to sell. there should be a law against it. makes me think of CRUELLA DEVILL :twisted: if she was selling dogs :!:

I personally think no one should pay over 4-5 hundred for a dog unless it is show quality. its the people who will pay those high prices that cause price gowging. take for example Frenchies $2000.00 That is a used car are people crazy? but cause there are those willing to pay that breeders will charge it. Alot of folks treat dogs like fashion and that drives prices up. then people relize o sht i dont like this breed and dogs get abanndoned or in rescue shelters. :twisted: Oh my IM just going on and on I am sorry i just get a little heated!!

HOW MUCH IS THAT DOGGIE IN THE WINDOW ( TO DARN MUCH ) :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts