Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can never be too careful!

Allow me to elaborate......

We live in a pretty rural location. Our garden backs out onto fields with sheep and horses which is lovely :)

I let Louie out as usual after his tea last night, around 6pm. If I don't go out with him, I make sure I switch the outside light on and watch him through the window untill he comes back to be let inside.

So I let him out and turn the light on, and catch a glimpse of something in the field. I watch for a few more seconds and then...

"HOLY MOLY!!!" There was a fox running towards our fence! :nshocked2:

Needless to say I ripped the door open quick and ran out in my slippers to get Lou back inside. Him being non the wiser of my mad dash into the garden

It ran off pretty sharpish but it was pretty scarey. It just goes to show you can never be too careful of your precious babies

I've never seen a fox out there before so it must have been getting pretty hungry in this cold weather.

Please keep an eye on your wee ones when they are out playing/pottying. It only takes a second for a larger 'prey' animal to come onto the scene. I hate to imagine what could of happened if I didn't watch Lou like a hawk

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So glad that you got to him in time!

I had a scare with a hawk when Gracie was smaller. Everytime I took her outside, the hawk would start circling above us. It scared me to death.

Around here, you have to be really cautious about the coyotes.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh gosh Rache how awful :( I'm so glad he turned up safe and sound.

Im not scared of foxes, it just really took me by suprise! I didn't expect a fox to be running towards my garden eyeing up my chi!

While Louie isn't a tiny delicate guy at around 7.5lbs he is still a very small dog and I wouldn't have fancied his chances against mr fox :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
HUG him tight for me....
Me too! My gosh that is scary! Shayley runs out to go potty but stays right by the house....I get nervous just with that but like you, I stand right by the door and wait until she comes back in! Kizzie is still on a leash because she is still learning that running from mommy gives mommy a heart attack! lol So glad your baby is ok!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Urgh urgh nasty things

We back onto a park with woods etc had a feral cat the other night that made 4 1/2lb daisy look like a dot so lotus just looked ridiculous they chased it out lucky enough my front room opens out into the garden.. Foxes not welcome here

·
Registered
162 Posts
So glad that you got to him in time!

I had a scare with a hawk when Gracie was smaller. Everytime I took her outside, the hawk would start circling above us. It scared me to death.

Around here, you have to be really cautious about the coyotes.
Not rural here at all, and I still worry about hawks! We have them all around, and during the fall I saw one carry off a squirrel... Scared me to death! It was HUGE! I won't leave my dogs out alone at all anymore!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Dear god that was scary. Thank god you notice.

I always have chico in a leach when we go out. Even at the beach. I let him room around but his leach is there so just incase. And the only time I let him of leach if we are in the garden its pretty big and closed so he can run and play.

I always have this image that a car wont see Chico and bmp him. It happen to my brothers dog and he hurt his leg. Thank god it was not so series and he recovered slow but now his fine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OMG!!! Im so glad you were watching and got to him in time!!!

Our yard is fenced in but what worries me most is the bird of prey. But from what Ive heard...they can snatch a little dog under 15 pounds even if you were standing next to them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wow, scary! I expect rural foxes would see a Chi as a tasty meal too. :( Luckily I only ever see lots of urben foxes and they run away so much that the Chi's get alot of exercise chasing them!!LOL

I know what you mean about never being too careful though. Just 2 days ago my 3 were attacked by a Staff and for a horrible moment I thought I would lose all of them. I was just walking them on the street just round the corner from my house when a couple suddenly appeared with a large Staff with no lead or collar. It ran at mine and just started throwing its head around growling and snapping at them!:mad:
All 3 were screaming and getting tangled and at one point it had the whole of Hannahs body in its mouth.. I finally managed to kick it away and the owners grabbed it. Thankfully it wasnt attacking to kill so my lot just wound up soaked in Staffie saliva!
It makes me scared to even walk them out their own front door though..

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That is terrifying! :( Thank goodness you were watching him. So scary!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ughhhh that'd bo so scary! One of my cats has been attacked by a fox before so I know how bad it can turn out - And the cats bigger than Pippi!

Theres a huge border collie next door to us so we dont get many foxes in our garden, but we still get the odd one, and as my two use the cat flap its a really scary thought!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Good thing you saw the fox but most of the time when the predators out there you will not see them. I never have mine out unless I am with them and I have them on leashes when they are out. I cannot have them out at my house at all as we have Foxes, Coyotes, Hawks, owls, you name it :-( I do take them away from home to do walkies and such but I still watch the skies like a hawk.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Wow I am glad you were watching and saw the fox in time. *hugs*

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank goodness I never let my boy out without me watching him!

When I took him out last night there was 2 foxes yickering by our fence!
I slammed the back door shut to try and scare them off but they kept looking and just kind of ambled off at thier own pace. Not sure why they arent scared of me but its quite un-nerving!

We will hopefully get the keys to our new house end of January and the garden there has a solid fence all the way around and other peoples gardens on all 3 sides so hopefully no foxes there!

Louie doesnt seem to notice the foxes, but he adores next doors big tom cat. He quite often pops over the fence for a little cuddle and playtime with Lou (supervised of course! he is a big cat!) But Lou adores him, they chase each other round and round garden its so cute :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts