Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the results of the second blood test are in and they're showing bile acids up at 174 (I think I have that right).

On Monday Kira goes back for a repeat of the blood test and another test to see if she has an internal or external shunt. My vet says it's looking like a high probability of an external shunt, so here's hoping it is. From what I'm told there is an 85% success rate for external shunts.

We'll have to go out of province for the surgery but the estimate I getting so far is between $1200 and $1700 plus the cost of my stay there. Not fun but I was expecting to hear $5000 to $10000 so I'll be broke but it's doable.

So here's hoping and praying for an external shunt and no complications.

Thanks everyone for reading this and any prayers and good thoughts would be very welcome.

Tracey

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OH no!!! not what you wanted to hear! If it has to be I pray its the less severe and will be an easy fix. Im so sorry. Prayers for Kira.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much everyone, I can't say how much the prayers are appreciated.

Kira has some positive things on her side, she grew big and strong, she's not showing any symptoms, great appetite, full of energy. Hopefully we got it early and it isn't to bad.

I just love this place, so supportive. I will post updates as they happen.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sending love prayers and hope! Where do you have to travel to for surgery?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh Tracey, I am so sorry. I hope you get a second opinion as so many liver shunts can be managed by diet. Has she been showing signs? I have been out of town so sorry if I missed something. I am so sorry. ((((HUGS)))) and prayers for you and Kira. When Zoey had her pyometra & endometritis her bile acid test were elevated but it was from the infection. There is a liver shunt group on Yahoo full of information and support.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh Tracey, I am so sorry. I hope you get a second opinion as so many liver shunts can be managed by diet. Has she been showing signs? I have been out of town so sorry if I missed something. I am so sorry. ((((HUGS)))) and prayers for you and Kira. .........There is a liver shunt group on Yahoo full of information and support.
Thanks, I'm hoping for an easy surgery if she needs it and a full recovery.

My vet is working with the vets at the University of PEI, it is the top veterinary school in eastern Canada, it's where everyone in the east who needs specialized care for their pets are refered so I think we're in good hands. Having said that I will be asking lots of questions and researching.

She isn't showing any signs, as a matter of fact she was the biggest pup of her litter, the most active, she eats like a horse, she grew like a weed.

When Zoey had her pyometra & endometritis her bile acid test were elevated but it was from the infection.
If I'm understanding my vet correctly the blood test didn't show any infection or inflamation but I will ask about pyometra and endometritis because since Kira had her first heat her mammary glands are still swollen, as a matter of fact she looks like she's nursing.
We are repeating the blood test on Monday and also doing another test that should show if she has an external shunt.
The vets at the UPEI suggested a biopsy but my vet seemed to think it wasn't needed. I'll be asking her to futher explain why on monday and I will ask about infections. Also, I was using the arm and hammer corn husk cat litter for my cat and I just found out that the corn litter can have a fungus that can cause liver damage if injested and Kira being all dog likes to search for 'tootsie rolls' if she can sneak into the litter. I got rid of that litter. I'll also mention that to my vet on monday.

I joined up to the liver shunt group on Yahoo, just waiting for confirmation.

Thanks for the support, it's really appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Please keeep us posted, Sounds like you are in the best of hands for Kira. I will waiting to see what happens at your appt on Monday and keep her in my prayers....

Will they try a L/D prescription food and a liver supplement like Denamarin for a couple months and recheck her blood before doing the surgery?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please keeep us posted,
Thanks, I will for sure.

Will they try a L/D prescription food and a liver supplement like Denamarin for a couple months and recheck her blood before doing the surgery?
I asked my vet about changing her diet and she said not to for now because they didn't want her to go through the tummy upsets etc with a diet change just before surgery. So, I assume from that that they will want to do surgery as soon as possible but I'll know more monday.
I didn't really have much time to talk to the vet because we couldn't connect until after hours on friday and we were more focused on setting up the next set of blood tests.

I have on my own though reduced her protien amounts and increased potatos, veggies etc., and started adding water to her food and she seems to be more full of energy. She seemed normal before, now she seems supercharged. So, I assume she's benefiting from the reduced protien.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts