Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been raining and cold all day here, so I just went into the bedroom to get my sweats out of my closet, I happened to see something out of the corner of my eye and looked up... I see a disgusting brown spot on my white ceiling!!!! I get on a chair and put my hand on the spot, its soaking wet! Great, now I have a leak in my roof! Hubby just got up on the roof there is a huge soft spot.... ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would figure too, I mean Friday we are supposed to spend about $200 dollars to get Bailey neutered, chipped and teeth pulled and now we have to figure out what to do! Hubby called the ins company, they are sending someone out to look at the damage in a couple days, but we have a $500 dollar deductible, so they may not even cover it. :foxes15:

We are still getting Bailey neutered, but may have to put off the microchip and teeth extractions until another day. The neutering by itself will be a lot cheaper then the whole package and it needs to be done. We will figure out what to do about the chip and teeth later on. UGH I hate hubby being laid off, money is way too tight around here. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh shoot. When it rains, it pours. Literally in your case, huh?! Well, maybe it won't be as bad as it looks. I hope so anyway. The only thing about waiting on the teeth is that he has to be put under anesthesia again and that can be hard on them. But I'd definitely say to wait on the microchip!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Call your local Humane Society and see if they have a certificate to help you with the cost of his neuter? Some Humane Societies have funds in an account just to help with spay/neuter cost but sadly most of the time you have to ask them as it isnt usually open knowledge;-)

Sorry you have a leak, we went through that a couple of months ago:-(

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah and that bothers me about the teeth, but my vet wants like $13.00 PER tooth and the last time he was seen the vet said there were at least 5 teeth that may need pulled. That is $65 additional dollars if that is the case... assuming there isn't more that he didn't see. On the plus side, there could be less.. I don't know, I am just freaking out. Its hard being laid off, we are not used to having such a pay cut, so especially when things like this happen its hard to figure out what to do. At any rate, the roof needs done, we can't just wait til later on that. We are supposed to get rain all week.... so it will get worse, quickly.

I will wait and see what the vet thinks, but I might not have a choice about the teeth at the moment. The chip will be later though, that is another $50.00 . This sucks, I wanted to get it done at once! Argh :(

Here is a pic I just took!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Well shoot. That is a bummer. Could you maybe put the vet bill on a credit card so you could make smaller monthly payments? Just asking because my mother in law had her sheltie's teeth cleaned and 5 extractions and with anesthesia and pre bloodwork (they do it EVERY time they have surgery) it was around $400. It's not the pulling of the teeth that really bumps up the price, it's the anesthesia and meds.

Oh, and my vet charged $20 per tooth so I think that $13 a tooth is pretty good!

Don't worry at all about the chip. That's just like a simple vaccination. They don't require any anesthesia or anything to chip them. No problem at all in delaying that.

Hope you can get it all worked out.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Its been raining and cold all day here, so I just went into the bedroom to get my sweats out of my closet, I happened to see something out of the corner of my eye and looked up... I see a disgusting brown spot on my white ceiling!!!! I get on a chair and put my hand on the spot, its soaking wet! Great, now I have a leak in my roof! Hubby just got up on the roof there is a huge soft spot.... ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would figure too, I mean Friday we are supposed to spend about $200 dollars to get Bailey neutered, chipped and teeth pulled and now we have to figure out what to do! Hubby called the ins company, they are sending someone out to look at the damage in a couple days, but we have a $500 dollar deductible, so they may not even cover it. :foxes15:

We are still getting Bailey neutered, but may have to put off the microchip and teeth extractions until another day. The neutering by itself will be a lot cheaper then the whole package and it needs to be done. We will figure out what to do about the chip and teeth later on. UGH I hate hubby being laid off, money is way too tight around here. :(
I'm so sorry hun. I know exactly how you feel, you know about the situation with my hubby and I. He's so fed up right now I don't think he's even looked for anything else yet. Hang in there. I'm still here if you feel like you need to vent.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
You poor girl!! This just isn't your week, is it? I'm so sorry you're having all of this piled on you at one time. I agree with Brody's mom, though, do what you can to get the teeth pulled now so he doesn't have to spend another day at the vet and be knocked out again. I had to do it in two separate operations because Holly's teeth were late coming in and I didn't want her to come into heat while we were waiting for teeth, and it was much more expensive that way. Plus, she had to be in a cage at the vet's office all day, which to me, was the hardest part. Why don't you do another post about your treat jars and candles! I'll buy one of each, and I'm sure there's plenty of other people that have joined since you originally posted. You can make the teeth pulling money in no time ;)

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a very sweet thought, but I don't have PayPal so it would take a week for any money to get here. Which means I would have to put off his neutering and my vet is so booked up, it would take another couple weeks to get him in. He is already starting to show more marking tendencies, he hasn't actually done it yet, but he is lifting his leg every time he pees now and I am afraid to put it off for too much longer. Why couldn't the roof have held off a couple more weeks! Grrr

I will see what I can find out tomorrow.

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, to answer the other question... we don't have credit cards. We got in trouble with them, paid them off and closed the accounts. We lack self control with those darn little plastic thingies! LMAO

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Maybe your vet can take a payment plan then? Usually they will work with you, especially if they know that your hubby is out of work. Maybe you could just do a deposit with them and then pay it off a little at a time. In this economy, I'm sure it's a common thing to do!

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am calling them in the morning, I will see if there is anything I can work out. I hope they will help us somehow, I so don't want to knock him out a second time! :(

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Boy, you've had a week, haven't you sweetie? Great idea, Tricia. I am finalizing my order for you right now and I will pm it to you. I can do a Walmart money gram which is instant cash, maybe that will help. I am ordering for my sister from her kids for Mom's Day and for My Mom also. They are great gifts at a great price! Hang in. I don't know why life is so tough sometimes.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Bailey's mom...do you have a spay and neuter clinic around you? I had Chopper neutered, microchipped and 4 teeth pulled: $5 for the teeth, $10 for the chipping (with no addition activation fee I might add) and $30 for the neuter. Even if you have to go for a bit of a drive it will definitely still be cheaper. oh yeah and they also cut his toenails for no fee which my vet charges $12 for!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think Arlee and Bailey are around the same age, she was born in September. She is just now losing her teeth. She lost the two K9's on the bottom last week. If the other ones aren't coming in I would wait. Unless you can do what Traci suggested or I know my vet will let you pay in installments. Sorry about the roof. That sucks!!

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I called my vet and he doesn't do payments because too many people don't pay their bills. I begged him and he said he couldn't. I will call the discount clinics, we have quite a few of them with in driving distance.

I am unsure what to do about his teeth, he is still losing them! He lost one last night while we were playing tug-a-war with his squirrel. I wasn't being rough, don't worry!!! He still has lots of teeth coming in, lots of spaces where teeth are starting to poke through etc. I think the vet was too quick to say his teeth needed removed because they are still coming out! :)

Argh, this sucks! Anyway, I will be calling around in a little bit. I am very upset with my vet today, I don't know why he couldn't make an exception knowing that we are good customers. But at any rate, it is what it is.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have heard really good things about the spay/neuter clinics. And the price is certainly GREAT.

I'm with you, just wait on his teeth. Especially if they are still falling out. Brody just has gums now until halfway back! His canines haven't started coming through yet, or just barely, and he's just now getting in some of his other teeth. I think he's a late bloomer. ha. It's surprising that Brody can eat! He chows down just fine, even though he's like a little old man with NO teeth!!! LOL!

I hope you can get a good deal. Actually, those discount places do SO MANY spays/neuters that they are probably better at it than our regular vets. The more you do, the better you are. :)

Brodysmom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts