Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fresh from being scared half to death yesterday when Feo ate some chocolate, I am a pathetic bunddle of nerves again as Feo is in surgery geting castrated. He is also having his dew claws off and a retained baby tooth, so the poor boy will be sore all over. I feel abit bad about the fact that his underside, mouth and feet will all be killing, but I thought it was best to get it done in one than put him through more anaesthetics. Does anyone have any advice for when I take him home? I have heard the drugs give them the squits- raw feeders- do you have any experiance with this- should I go heavy on the bones? I will probably be posting loads of pics of the wounds later on worrying if they are healing normally and lool ok so please put up with my pathetic woosiness lol Xx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I didn't have Brody's dewclaws removed, but he had a bunch of baby teeth pulled and the neuter and he acted like nothing happened! He was running around that evening. He was a little slower the next day, I think the soreness kicked in, but he had no cone, no pain meds, etc. and he was absolutely fine. By the 3rd day post-op he was back to normal really. I don't know if that's normal to recover so fast or not!

I'd feed him normally unless he has loose stools and if so - just add in more bone as you already know.

I think you'll be surprised at how quickly and well he recovers. They are amazing. :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My Sheltie had a dew claw off as he ripped it,had to wear a bandage for a while used to put a plastic bag over it when he went in the garden,didn't seem that worried about it,Lily had teeth out and Simba but they seemed fine with that,on antibiotics for a week or so ,no runs at all perfectly normal

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told I didn't need antibiotics, but I might go to the vet in my village, he is never one to shy away from a prescription opportunity. I think all 4 wounds look normal but he is my first dog so I've not got any experience of this. I might upload some pics tomorow and ask all you guys, also the place he had the op has no aftercare, you have to visit your normal vet. I will take him to my vet this week to ease my worrisome mind.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango had no issues with his neuter, other than being a bit slower the day after. He had no diarrhea, wasn't off his food, didn't worry the surgery site. Jazz was more affected by her spay, which is understandable because a spay is a much more invasive procedure. She was also after the incision, whereas Tango didn't even attempt to bother his.

His dew claw wounds will affect him more or less, depending on whether his dew claws were attached or not i.e. whether it was an actual amputation, or just a snip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts