Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some advice please!! Okay, here goes....sorry if it gets long. Diego is 6 1/2 months now and when he was about 3 months old I socialized him like crazy. He couldn't have been a friendlier pup and I was so proud. :) But in the last couple of months he has started to bark, growl, and sometimes even snap at strangers that try to pet him. I just can't believe he can act this viciously! :evil: He really is the sweetest little guy to all my family and friends, and everyone that knows him just adores him. I have always taken him absolutely everywhere with me and he used to be the quietest little thing. Now when I take him out in his carrier he just barks and growls at everyone and it's so upsetting I just want to leave. I realized that telling him "no bark" all the time was just egging him on, but ignoring him in public places just isn't possible when you don't want to annoy people. I take him to work with me and he usually gets to meet people all day long...and I recently realized that he only growls and snaps at people if I'm holding him or he's in his open-style carriers, but if he's on his own he'll lick people's faces and practically want to go home with them. He was just attrocious at the vet's a couple weeks ago, and ended up biting both of us, but I think that was fear aggression and I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here. The first couple times I took him to the vet's, he was perfectly fine. He seems to suddenly have a lot of issues, but seemingly not at home, unless I'm missing something. He's supposed to be getting neutered in a couple weeks and I don't even want to bring him near the vet's if he's going to be like that again. They couldn't even muzzle him! I don't want him (or them) getting hurt when someone has to put him in a headlock. Last time, while the assistant was restraining him, she scratched his leg with her watch and it left a scar. :cry: I just want my sweet baby back to the way he used to be. If anyone has any suggestions, or even a step-by-step list of what I'm doing wrong, please help!! Thanks for listening to me ramble on...I just love this board and trust everyone's opinions here! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I always put him down in situations where I can and he's always really friendly, not scared at all. But in public, I can't always do that so I just want him to stop barking at everyone that walks by him. I don't know why he barks, does he think he's protecting me? And if so, does that mean he thinks he's the alpha? I have been doing more of the things you suggest at home, like eating first, etc and it does seem to be having an effect. I don't hold him at the vet's, but I think I might try taking him in for treats and see if that helps. I really don't want to leave him at home so I hope something will work!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chihuahua Head, I will definitely try the squirt bottle and see if that doesn't help! :) Cooper's mom...he doesn't bark if he's on the ground and he is always really friendly to strangers on his own. I take him out in about 4 different carriers and he always acts the same way. I just remembered something you said about getting positive reinforcement when he's barking...sometimes when I take him somewhere where he isn't allowed I have to shut him up with treats...OOPS! Why didn't I think of that before?! So I'm going to assume he is protecting me, because he doesn't quite know his place and I'm making it worse by rewarding him. Does that seem about right? Wow, this puppy stuff is complicated!! :lol: Thanks for all the suggestions...I appreciate it!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.