Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I haven't been posting for awhile....

I woke up last Satruday feeling great, when around 7 at night I got weird percing pains in my bladder/female area....well I shrugged it off...but it got more intense...then followed lower left side back pain, then it spread so I had a ring of pain from my left side all around to my bladder area....

So the pain got intense....and more intense...so bad I was crying hysterically...now mind you I have a high threshold of pain...but this was so bad I almost passed out....so I'm thinking great a dang kidney stone....

I ended up in the ER, admitted where they let me sit there for 2 hours while they ran a blood test...so I am screaming in pain....I was in such pain I literally wanted to ram my head into the wall...my poor husband was so distraught....finally they come back with some NICE drugs for the pain....after being in pain for 7 hours....i was EXHAUSTED!!!

Turns out I have two kidney stones.... :(

I don't know if I passed them or not...but boy I tell you what a week this has been....I have been taking Vicodin for the last couple of days....but today thank goodness all I feel is soreness...

Oh to top it off I have no insurance so you can imagine what my bill is going to be....ER, Drugs, CT Scan... :roll:

Oh and I didn't get the job....GRRRRRRRR :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
That is aweful... I am glad you are feeling better tho...

My mom had kidney stone problems and she had them blasted and now theya re worse then before she had them blasted...

I hope they past....

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sorry to hear of your health problems..K/stones , as you have found out, are excruciating. Keep taking your meds, drink lot's of water and rest....try not to think about the costs...what's done is done and a payment plan will have to be worked out later...right now your health is the most important issue.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
well i'm a senior when it comes to kidney stones. i've had many. one was too large to pass and they couldn't blast it cause it was behind my pelvic bone so they had to go in and what i call vaccuum it out. i was put under so i didn't feel anything til i woke up. PAIN yikes and i thought having the stone was bad. i also heard having them blasted (the actual procedure)is excrutiating too....

the pain you had is the stone (or stones) leaving the kidneys. you would have known if you passed them TRUST ME. what is happening now (most likely) is they are in the bladder waiting to be passed. drink srink srink! and pee through a strainer so you can have the stones analyzed to find out what type of stone it is and wht caused it. when they are leaving the bladder some experience pain and some don't mine all were different. if you don't pass them within 2-3 weeks you should have another view taken to see if they were lodged cause if that is the case your suseptible to infection. please forget the cost for awhile (apply for charity care i can find out info for you from my dad since he lived in florida for awhile and knows about that stuff cause of my step brother.) i feel your pain, and am so sorry for you to have expererienced this. with my last ones oh man they gave me some good stuff in the hospital lol (delaudid i think it was called) i wished they gave me some to go cause percocets and vicodin and oxycodon doesn't help all that much.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Oh you poor thing you have my utmost sympathy. I have a friend who suffered from them twice and another friend who had one experience of it so I've heard how unbelievably painful it is. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Geez, it sounds like you were really ill there for a while. I'm glad you found out what it was and that you are feeling better now. I'm also glad you updated us on where you have been!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry to hear you have been sick. I did miss you for a few days, but I just figured you got that job, and were really busy. Bummer....

I can really feel for you - I know how painful stones are. Been there, done that, don't want to go there ever again!...

Please try not to worry too much about the expense. When you are feeling better, call the hospital and speak to someone in the business office. I've worked in the finance end of a hospital for over 8 years, and I know for a fact that hospitals write off a lot of bills when people don't have insurance. They will sometimes require you to write a letter explaining why it would put a financial hardship on you to have to pay. Then, based on your finances, they can either write off part or all of the bill. This does not affect your credit, as it is not written off as a bad debt but as a financial hardship.

It is certainly worth checking into. What a lot of people don't realize is if the hospital is a not for profit facility, (which means they agree to treat any and all who come in whether they can pay or not) then a large portion of what they write off for financial hardships is reimbursed to them by federal agencies.

Hope you are feeling much better now. If you have any questions, feel free to p.m. me.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oh geez that sounds horrible. I heard it wasn't painful for women...guess whoever told me that was totally wrong. How does a kidney stone develop anyways?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Seiah Bobo said:
Oh geez that sounds horrible. I heard it wasn't painful for women...guess whoever told me that was totally wrong. How does a kidney stone develop anyways?
lol whoever told you that never had one lol. the pain isn't exactly from it coming out that is what so many people think. it's the pain of the stone traveling out of the kidney to the urethra into the bladder. some have slight pain while it is leaving the bladder others don't. it's felt when it comes out. but that small area can stretch to accomadate a catheter so it's not too bad, men have a little more pain when it's coming out then women (so i've heard) but i think it's just cause men are big sissies lol....

here's some info:

How do kidney stones form?
Every stone that develops is the result of a combination of factors. The chemicals that form stones are normally dissolved in the urine, however if they become concentrated in the urine crystals begin to form. A stone is a hard mass formed from crystals which grow in size and stick tightly to the inner surfaces of the kidney. Stones are more likely to form if the urine is concentrated (small volume), or if there is infection in the urine. Some people may form kidney stones because there is increased amount of a stone forming substance in the urine. Occasionally a stone forms because there are cysts or scars in the kidney

the 2 main types of stones are calicium and oxalate.....

If you have had a calcium stone, your doctor may ask you to cut back on the salt and sodium in your diet. Extra sodium causes you to lose more calcium in your urine, putting you at risk for developing another stone. Your doctor will probably advise you to limit your sodium to 2,000 to 3,000 milligrams a day. Your dietitian can help you make sodium changes in your diet.

You may not need to avoid excessive (too much) calcium in your diet. It is important that you learn from your doctor and dietitian the right balance of calcium you should eat. Following a diet low in calcium for a long period of time can lead to a loss of bone mass, or osteoporosis.

A registered dietitian or doctor can help determine if you need more or less calcium and help with the sodium changes in your diet.

If you have had a kidney stone that contains oxalate, some evidence (research) suggests that limiting high oxalate foods may help reduce your change of forming another oxalate stone. Foods that are high in oxalate include: peanuts, tea, instant coffee (more than 8 ounces a day), rhubarb, beets, beans, beets, berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, etc.), chocolate, Concord grapes, dark leafy greens, oranges, tofu, sweet potatoes and draft beer. Because the stone contains calcium and oxalate, you may also need to follow the calcium recommendations from the last question.

and with both types of stone:

Reducing the amount of animal protein may help. Sources of animal protein include beef, chicken, pork, fish and eggs. Most people need only four to six ounces of high protein foods and three servings of milk or cheese a day. Check with your doctor or dietitian to be sure your protein intake is enough, but not too much.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
oh no what a terrible week for you !! i haven't got kidney stones yet ...but i know they can freakin'hurt !!!! i hope you are feeling better now and find a good job :wave:

kisses nat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts