Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I'm new to these forums, but I was looking for a place to socialize with other Chi families and I hope that I've found the right place!

I've been searching through breeders for about six months now and finally found the one I want. I'll get to pick up my new baby in about a week. I've never had a Chi before (the only dog I've ever had was a sweet turned German Shepherd who I had for about ten years before she passed away). So, I was wondering what to expect and what things I can do to make her arrival a pleasant one and her life happy and healthy. If anyone could recommend any type of toy, food, etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to getting to talk with all of you and thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I think that all dogs are different. When I first got Tader I fed him kibbles n bits puppy then when he was older I fed him the adult kibbles n bits Im now feeding him Purina one & he loves it!! I know alot of the members here feed the more expensive brands but I think that it is a personal preference. AS for toys Tader loves his rope bone {$ 1.97 at walmart} he also have a stuffed moose that he loves.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
We don't feed the more expensive food cause we want to spend the money so much as that they are healthier. We tend to be a bit fanatical. Toys, well Marcus likes small stuffed animals and stuffed bones with squeekies in them and he doesn't care if they come from Wal-Mart and cost ninety-four cents or from Petco and cost 10 times that. He adores a fuzzy blanket that came from a dollar store and a soft fuzzy Santa hat that my daughter was wearing last xmas and he stole from her and insists has to be in his crate.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Welcome to the world of chis. :)

If you look through some of the old threads on the site, you can find a lot of good information. If there is any particular topic you are interested in, for example housebreaking, you can do a search for that topic.

Hope you enjoy this forum - this is a great bunch of chi-lovers who gladly share whatever knowledge we have. The more you read and learn about the breed, the better.

There are many, many foods out there to choose from. I feed Royal Canin dry, as do quite a few others here. But there are some other great brands as well. Merrick, Wellness, Inova to name just a few that are rated high. These foods are more expensive, but when you consider the small amount your chi eats every day it's not that bad. A bag of Royal Canin (think it is 8 lbs.) will last a long time.

Good luck with your new chi. Don't forget to post some pics.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Blankies....lotsa blankies...LOL...I get Gizmo baby blankets from Target....

They LOVE to burrow under them like moles...and toys....

I had my baby on Science Diet puppy...but he wasn't liking it too much...as of yesterday I got him Royal Canin Mini Puppy food and he LOVES it!!

With toys always make sure if you get one with a squeeker that he/she can't swallow it...always check toys for damage etc.....Gizmo is a chewer so I have to buy new toys constantly!! :wink:

Good luck...I re-read the old threads before I got Gizmo to see what others had to say and it helped alot....

:wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Just want to say welcome - will you find all the answers and more if you do a search of the forum which is located at the top of the screen just enter a topic and you will get al the ol threads on that if you cant find a specific answer feel free to ask away here :wave:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats on finding a chi baby!! The day you bring the sweetie home will be a very memorable day for you I'm sure. I will never forget the day my Angel came home.

I agree with the advice of reading through previous threads. There is so much great info here for just about any question you might have.

As others have said, every pup is different so it is hard to give any concrete advice on food, toys, etc but here are the things Angel loves...

I brought her home in a polar fleece baby blanket and to this day, it is her favorite. She loves fleece, furry and thermal blankets. She will bury herself down inside them so we have to be really careful not to sit on her. LOL Her favorite toys are plush toys. Petsmart sells little bitty ones that are perfectly chi sized. Although, she has no problem playing with a toy that is twice her size. ;) And she is big on plush toys with squeakies that she can fit in her mouth. She likes to find the squeakies and play with them. :)

Food - I also just switched from Science Diet to Royal Canin Puppy. She does really well with it. I also agree with what someone else said about food brands being a personal choice. I fed our last dog Purina One Lamb and Rice and he loved it. He was a mix of lab, golden and spaniel. But Angel I tend to baby a lot more so I buy more top of the line products even if I don't really have to. My family rolls their eyes at me but that is easy to ignore when I get a face full of kissies from my baby. ;) I will say, and I don't know if all chi's are this way or just Angel, but she tends to be really picky about her food and water. It must be absolutely fresh. She will not drink water that has been sitting there for a couple of hours. Must be cold and fresh. Food must also be at least reasonably fresh or we won't touch it.

Angel is my first chi as well and definitely not my last. I praise the breed enough. The expressiveness, the personality, the intelligence... it never ceases to amaze me. I have had many dogs in the past that I have loved dearly but I have never bonded so tightly as I have with Angel. We honestly have a mother/daughter type of bond... very very close. And I would have it no other way. ;)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Welcome....you are in for the time of your life with a little chi...be prepared to become a chi fanatic like the rest of us LOL . You will get lot's of good advice on here. I look forward to seeing pic' of your new baby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts