Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very, very frustrated. Jazz is almost 1 1/2 years old, and it STILL not reliably potty trained! :foxes15:

I might be less frustrated if I hadn't also trained Tango with a great deal more ease than I'm experiencing with Jazz. While Tango had his moments, he progressed fairly easily and is 100% trained now, and we accomplished that with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Here's the problem with Jazz...she keeps peeing in the hallway, because for some reason she's decided that it's COMPLETELY OK to pee there! Why, I have no clue! She won't pee in the computer room, sitting room, bathroom (except on the designated pee pad) but will leave any of those rooms (and there's a pee pad in each) to go squat in the hallway to pee! GAH!!!! WHAT IS HER PROBLEM??????

I'm not a newbie at this training thing guys. I've trained dogs all my life, and already mentioned, successfully trained Tango quickly and reliably. I'm not uninformed, uneducated or clueless. I've done all the obvious things, and yes, I've practically stripped the finish off the hallway hardwood I've treated it so thoroughly and so often to make certain there's no residual odor to encourage Jazz to continue to pee there. I correct her if I see her squat (and I've even laid in wait looking for opportunities to catch her. ) Her choice to pee there is completely random. She might squat in the hall not 10 minutes after she's peed on the pad. It might be three hours. There's no rhyme or reason.

I KNOW she can hold her pee. She's crated daily, and has NEVER had an accident in her crate, even on a couple of occasions when I was delayed getting home and she was crated for 9 hours straight! She's routinely crated for 5 - 7 hours and easily holds her pee for that long.

And yes, I can keep her out of the hallway, and it's one solution, and I've done that. But I don't want to HAVE to. I want her to be like Tango, in that I want her to have the run of the place, going to one of the various pee pads to relieve herself when she has to go, and not HAVING to be taken to a pee pad every half hour so she doesn't pee in the hall!

I'm open to any suggestions, advice, anecdotal information, anything that might help me get a handle on this and help calm me down because I am SO FRUSTRATED! :foxes15:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She sounds like Oakley :( Oakley is 100% reliable except in our dining room...we have an area rug and yep...there she goes! So...we just keep her out of there. But I totally understand your frustration and I don't really have a good solution other than perhaps put a few potty pads in the hallway?

I have noooo idea what goes through their little heads. Its like they LIKE to go potty or something, because all of mine go more than they need to (I know for the same reason you do -- they are all crate trained), especially Asia...if she wants attention she runs between the two potty pads in the living room peeing until she feels we've praised her sufficiently...

I hope you figure out something that works for you for Jazz...sorry I can't offer much help :(

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I was going to suggest what Kristi did.
If she likes the hall perhaps place a pad for her there and in the interim take up the other pads and see how she goes?

I've trained several dogs as well and I tell you I have learned a fast rule when you pee pad train dogs.. forget the idea of ever having area rugs.. LOL

bijou thinks all area rugs are pee pads.
it's actually a bit funny.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
When I did pee pads with Brody, he though stuff on the floor was pee pads... a towel. An area rug. A nightgown. A newspaper. I think (for some dogs) pee pads are confusing.

You could certainly TRY a pee pad there where she goes in the hallway and see if she will go on it.

The only other suggestion I can think of is tethering where you tie her to you with a long leash. It would only be temporary to re-train her.

Or if you are entirely at your wits end, you could get panties and put in a pad (like for girls in heat) and protect your floors that way. (Won't solve the problem, but would save your floors). Kind of like people who give up on their boys and use belly bands.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Tracy I am laughing because you are so right, B thinks any kind of laundry, area rug or even a piece of paper the kids have drawn on that falls to the floor is a pee pad.
It's a total trade off for the convenience.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My neigbours dog used to do that - Their solution was to put a pee pad where the dog ketp peeing, and remove ALL the others. Eventually they moved the pad somewhere better and she kept going on the pad rather than wherever else it was.

(I admit though I have no idea if it'd work for any other dog though - My two aren't pad trained!)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On the suggestion to put down a pee pad? Been there done that. I figured, well, OK, I'll just put a pad down and slowly move it to join up with one of the others, and voila! No. Not only has Jazz decided that it's OK to pee in the hallway, she's ALSO decided that it's NOT OK to pee on any pee pad located there. Grrrr! She will carefully avoid the offending pee pad, and pee somewhere else in the hallway. So, to compensate for that, my hallway floor at one point looked like I'd done a crazy decorating thing and carpeted it with pads! At that point, she had no choice BUT to pee on a pad, but it really kind of defeated the purpose. It made it OK to pee pretty much anywhere in the hall, rather than limit her peeing to just the one spot where the pee pad was, y'know? Even a couple, even three pads would have been OK. But every time I put down a pad where she'd just peed, she chose a DIFFERENT place to pee just a bit further away from that pad, and that pattern kept repeating, hence the pee-pad carpeted hallway.

And yes, I know what you mean about stuff on the floor. Tango is the same way. It doesn't bother me, really. I tend not to have a lot of mats around anyway, and I'm a tidy sort, so there isn't usually random stuff on the floor. The only thing I miss is a bathmat in front of the vanity. I do keep one hung over the side of the tub, and I just lay it down to step on when I'm done showering. But yeah, Tango just doesn't have the intellect to differentiate between a pee pad on the floor, and anything else on the floor. He honestly thinks he's doing a GOOD thing when he pees on the bathmat, or the leg of my jeans that's hanging over the laundry basket and onto the floor! He's even tried to use the dust ruffle from my bed! In a couple places it's a tiny bit long and he's actually tried to pee on the part that was on the floor. I thought that spot was just a random choice, but he's peed in the same place enough that I finally realized he's doing it on purpose. Just one MORE reason to keep them out of my bedroom.

I've also toyed with the idea of putting the hallway runner back down, and treating it heavily with one of those sprays like Off! or whatever they're called that would make it undesirable to Jazz. I don't know how well they work though, I've seen very mixed reviews. And the stuff would have to keep getting reapplied because I'd walk it off pretty quickly as much as I use the hallway.

I dunno, guys. This is really a bummer.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Girl... That has got to have you wanting to pull your hair out with the frustration. I don't have a clue what the heck is on in the minds of some
Dogs, I really don't!! If given the chance Ivy runs upstairs and poops in the hall. Why, I don't have a clue!!! All of a sudden ivy will be Mia and I say to the kids"wheres Ivy" and of course the typical"I don't know" comes into play. I go barreling up our stairs and there's miss Ivy in all her glory pooping in my dang hall!!!! Now I have to gate it off, but I know what you mean not wanting to. The others don't even care to go upstairs. Ivy is very, very sneaky, she really is. Hope you can figure out what works, cause I sure can't. I And I'm not putting a Pad in my upstairs hall. When I do catch her she gets time out, but never seems to work for her.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I had a similar problem with Red but just like Jake one day he suddenly started telling me when he wanted to go out and now he never does anything in the house...

I understand your frustration as Red would go in the garden for a good 1/2 hr then come in and pee...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I went through 2 rugs in my lounge... both my girls thought it was ok to pee on them!! In the end i chucked them and got a coffee table instead!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hershey is 4 months now and pees on the pee pads about 90% of the time. The other 10%, she would pee on the carpet. We could go 2 weeks where she would always pee on the pad then all of a sudden would pee on the carpet. :confused:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I went through 2 rugs in my lounge... both my girls thought it was ok to pee on them!! In the end i chucked them and got a coffee table instead!!
I threw out the oriental rug in my front entry way for the same reason !!

We have no rugs what so ever...and we keep that bath mat picked right up. ;)

The dog sitter left a towel on the floor when Rico waas a baby and he pooped on it AND was looking for praise !!

Did you clean up the hallway with enzyme cleaner than maybe go voer it wioth one of those sprays that is suppposed to deter weeing ?? I have seemn then in the pet shops, maybe that could help.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OMG!! I can so relate to this thread! Addy is my problem potty child:( She pee's and poos in my bathroom...every morning!!! For the last couple of weeks Ive been keeping my bedroom door closed and all is good. If someone opens my door and forgets to close it....there she goes :foxes15: I also cant have any area rugs what so ever. I think they do confuse them into thinking they are potty pads :confused:

My only suggestion...and I dont know if you can do this....is block off the hallway so she cant get to it

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I think we all have the same the pee's problem with the chis...LOL....I've learned my lesson to close all doors where I don't want them to pee....LOL...if they want to pee in the middle of the room...I guess that's where the pad will go...:)....

·
Registered
74 Posts
have you cleaned the areas in the hall where she pee'd? with something strong? because marley is 100 % pee pad trained but one day when i brought her to my parents i didnt put down the pad in time and she pee'd on the carpet we wiped it but never really thoroughly washed the carpet now everytime she goes over she runs right to that spot and smells it and wants to pee there again and again...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Haha it defo looks like all our chis have the pee thing in common! especially with rugs!!
Rugs in the house with a chi is defo a no go!!!
I also close every door especially the bedroom else they like to poo under my bed?! why i really dont no!
Mine use the mats 99% of the time unless there is clothes left on the floor and they think its ok to pee on them!
I also have to lift the bath mat up! they seem to get confused as their pee peds are in the bathroom and the 1 time i left it down both girls peed and pooed on it!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry you're having this trouble and that I hope you find a solution soon.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't really have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry you're having this trouble and that I hope you find a solution soon.
Thanks Olivia. Honestly, I'm beginning to despair of finding the key to unlock this mystery. :(

For those of you who asked, or suggested, cleaning the area with an enzymatic cleaner, yes. I've tried several different kinds and brands, paid extra for one (I think it was Nature's Miracle?) made specifically for hard surfaces. I ALWAYS clean up Jazz's latest pee spot with an enzyme destroying cleaner, plus I treat the hallway periodically by laying down a very generous coating of the cleaner and letting it sit awhile, just in case the pee has penetrated anywhere (it's hardwood.) And when I do my weekly mopping, it's always with the same kind of enzymatic cleaner. I don't think I've missed any step needed to treat the area, so I don't think it's anything residual that keeps drawing her back there.

Y'know, part of my frustration with all this is that I JUST DON'T GET IT! Even though it's frustrating to have Tango pee on mats on the floor etc., I UNDERSTAND that. I can SEE why he does. That behavior is actually pretty intelligent of him. Canines simply don't have the capability of complex thought processes the way humans do, and the intellect that's capable of that kind of differentiation (mats versus pee-pads) is pretty steep for a canine brain. But still, there's intelligence, there's a degree of THINKING behind our dogs' choice to pee on things on the floor. It's the best they can do with their brain power, and it's pretty darn good, considering. They really are trying to do the right thing with all the information they have at their disposal, and I can understand the thought process involved, even though it's wrong :D I get it, y'know?

But this, this hallway peeing. I just DON'T get it. I can't understand where it's coming from, what's behind it. I can't get it from Jazz's perspective and see what problem it's solving, how she thinks it's the right thing to do, what dots she's connected to make her repeat the behavior in spite of efforts to get her to see it's not OK.

<sigh> Just this morning, right before I sat down at the computer? Did our usual routine, uncrated her from her night, took her to the pee pad in the bathroom, where she peed veritable buckets! Praised and treated, went and got my coffee, came back expecting to take her to the pad again so she can poop....this is our morning routine, done every morning for a long, long time now. What do I find? Yup, you got it.......a nice little puddle of pee on the floor in the hallway! :foxes15::foxes15::foxes15: I mean, come ON!!!! What is UP with that??? That's what I mean about the randomness. After her morning pee, when she's been in her crate all night, it's SO unusual for her to need to pee again 5 minutes later. Half an hour maybe, she's peed in the hallway half an hour after peeing on her pad. On the other hand, she's also gone 4 hours and not peed anywhere. See, it's that randomness that makes it SO difficult! :foxes15:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Did our usual routine, uncrated her from her night, took her to the pee pad in the bathroom, where she peed veritable buckets! Praised and treated, went and got my coffee, came back expecting to take her to the pad again so she can poop....this is our morning routine, done every morning for a long, long time now. What do I find? Yup, you got it.......a nice little puddle of pee on the floor in the hallway! :foxes15::foxes15::foxes15: I mean, come ON!!!! What is UP with that??? That's what I mean about the randomness. After her morning pee, when she's been in her crate all night, it's SO unusual for her to need to pee again 5 minutes later. Half an hour maybe, she's peed in the hallway half an hour after peeing on her pad. On the other hand, she's also gone 4 hours and not peed anywhere. See, it's that randomness that makes it SO difficult! :foxes15:
I'm sure you've probably done this, but have you had a urine culture done recently? Just to check that she doesn't have a urinary tract infection going on? Also.... does she ever pee her bed? Just wondering as there is a condition called spay incontinence that occurs where they can't control their urine and it can be very random, as you describe.

It does sound behavioral to me. But I'd still check her out thoroughly just to rule out anything physical. Do dogs get irritable bladder? I just don't know. Grasping at straws here as I feel your frustration.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts