Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the day arrived and Izzy was spayed today! I had dreaded it for so long.
I took her in at 10am and held her while she had her premed, I then cuddled her for 15 minutes while it took effect and she was nice and sleepy, she still managed to nip the vet in the nose when she took her from me though.
I called back in at 12.45 to see how she was and they brought her out to me, they said she had been so stressed that it would be better for her if she came home early.
She has cuddled with me for 3 hours and then got up as if nothing had happened and ate her tea, then lay back down and screamed in pain, it was awful, I was about to phone the vet but she settled and went back to sleep. She is sleeping now and just doing the odd little whimper.
I have got pain killers for her to have in the morning.
I am so glad it is over, Charlie and Chloe are with their Nanny for the day so Izzy can have some peace.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw bless her! I'm glad it's over with! It's a bunch of nerves taking them in to get that stuff done. That's nice of you to send the others off to play while she can rest lol She's a lucky pup! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
scary isn't it?! we all hate to see our babies in pain. I hope your baby girl heals fast.
I have got to book Lola in soon and i'm dreading it too....she's 10 months old and recently had her first season.
Lola is VERY attached to me and she will be distraught at being left....think I am worrying about this more than the surgery itself! then i'm worried about how the heck i'll be able to keep her calm for the first few days...she's a whirlwind! eek! its gonna be stressful......

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Big brave girl <3 I'm sure once she's healed everything will be better for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just so glad it is all over. Tomorrow will be a problem trying to get her to rest! They are such a worry. Her anxiety this morning probably wasn't helped by mine! They sense our emotions don't they?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I am so glad she is ok. I Pray she has fast recovery.
I am going to have to have my Amberleah spayed when she is old enough. But I am so scared, I have new vet now but a year ago I took my cat in for spay and they nicked something and she died. So will be very hard day for me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My girls are getting spayed on the 22nd and I am so worried about it! Especially Izzie since she's so small. How old is your Izzy, and how much does she weigh?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Izzy is 6.5 months old, she weighs 5ibs now. She is fine this morning. Got me up at 4am so we have been snuggling on the sofa since then.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls are getting spayed on the 22nd and I am so worried about it! Especially Izzie since she's so small. How old is your Izzy, and how much does she weigh?
Hope and Ruby weighed 3.4 and 3.2 when they had theirs done. Ruby at 3.2 did WORLDS better than Hope. Hope could not manage her pain, poor thing. Just one quick return to ER vet for additional pain meds a day or so later and she was much better. She was also irritated by the eternal stitches. Her skin (unlike Ruby's) is paper thin so easily irritated.

After the stitches came out, they were as good as new, running around crazy like nothing is different!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Poor baby hope she heals quickly and isnt in too much pain,i got poppy done 4 weeks ago she was fine until day 10 when she took a lump on her wound had to get antibiotics its hard on little dogs.x

·
Registered
355 Posts
There's so much variation in how dogs react to both the surgery and the anaesthetic. I remember when Dary had Fentanyl, he just lay on the sofa and mooed for three days! Sounds like Izzy is already bouncing back. Nothing like sofa snuggles to heal all!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am glad she is doing good!! :)

Hope and Ruby weighed 3.4 and 3.2 when they had theirs done. Ruby at 3.2 did WORLDS better than Hope. Hope could not manage her pain, poor thing. Just one quick return to ER vet for additional pain meds a day or so later and she was much better. She was also irritated by the eternal stitches. Her skin (unlike Ruby's) is paper thin so easily irritated.

After the stitches came out, they were as good as new, running around crazy like nothing is different!
Yeah, Izzie is 3.2 lbs, Bella 6.44 lbs, at 6.5 months. They haven't grown at all in 2 months (since 20 weeks old) so they'll be the same weight at the time of the spay. I am getting pain meds for each of them to take home, so hopefully that will help. They get internal stitches at the Humane Society, so they are supposed to just dissolve I think. I am worried about trying to keep them inactive for 10 days! You need to PM me about that cuz I know you girls are just as active! But I don't wanna take over the OP's thread.. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Izzy has internal sutures too, the vet felt that as she was so stressed she didn't want her to have to go back again in a week to have sutures removed. She has licked her wound a couple of times but stops when I tell her to leave it, so no need for collar.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi poor little izzy im glad all the rough stuff is over her crying in pain saddened me hope shes feeling herself soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts