Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jade turned 20 weeks old on this past Sunday. She is doing great, has grown some, and is as feisty as ever. She doesn't have any clue that her body is not as mature as her mind. She is 20 weeks old in mind, and 9 weeks old in size. She now weighs 1 lb. 4 oz. It was a struggle to get her to that weight. She was eating kibble mostly when she was at her breeders, but I think she was really just swallowing it almost whole. I was trying the kibble moistened with wet food, and with as much activity as she has here, it just wasn't enough. She was eating it 4 times a day, with Nutri-Cal twice a day.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed she was starting to lose weight, not gain. In this size of a puppy that is a sure sign that you are headed for sugar trouble. If you have a puppy that isn't gaining weight you have a problem somewhere. She lost 6/10 of an ounce, and I kept trying to pump the food. I'm trying to make this as short as possible. :lol: After a few days of me noticing the weight loss, one morning she woke up and acted more tired than usual. So I knew it was time to start pumping the Nutri-Cal. She seemed to respond to it somewhat, but when she walked she seemed to have no control over her legs. I about PANICKED! I thought, OMG, is she going crippled? So I call my Vet, who is very good at telling me what to do over the phone (she has a Chi), and she said her sugars are probably down and it will cause loss of muscle control. I kept the Nutri-Cal going, and started with the Gerber baby food. They will usually always eat that if nothing else. After a few hours her legs were back on track and she was full speed ahead. :lol: Talk about relief! Then came the loose stools from so much Nutri-Cal which didn't seem to phase her a bit.

So long story short, she isn't able to eat enough kibble to keep her going with as much activity as she has. She is now eating canned food 4 times a day, and Nutri-Cal 3 times a day. I have not had any problems since and all poops are back on track. Didn't take long to get her back to the speed demon she is. :lol: She doesn't always want to eat all of the food she has to eat, so like a mean Mama I force feed her. :lol: Sounds mean I know, but it is what keeps her going.

She does like to eat TOTW kibble throughout the day. And talk about funny to watch her tackle those kibbles.

I have been through all of this before, but it is just as nerve racking every single time. So everyone send Jade "growing" vibes. While she is very healthy and very spunky, the closer I can get her to 2 lbs. the better she'll be with her sugars and no heart attacks for Mom. :D

So here she is this morning. You can see she would much rather climb in the cup than pose. It's all about play, play, play.

Ann, if you see this, I think she will be outgrowing this little sweater in the next few weeks. I said she could probably wear it until she was about 6 months old, I came very close. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jade will be needing a new sweater soon! :albino: yes the styrofoam cups look like plenty of fun :D
Ann sent one a bit bigger, so she has one to graduate too. :lol:

Oh yeah, play is way more fun than being cute. :lol:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh Jade - you MUST eat to stay strong and healthy! I don't like to eat either!! But it is important that we do. Our mommy's worry about us when we don't eat, so try! I will eat for you if you will eat for me. :)

Love and Kisses,
Brody

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Jade - you MUST eat to stay strong and healthy! I don't like to eat either!! But it is important that we do. Our mommy's worry about us when we don't eat, so try! I will eat for you if you will eat for me. :)

Love and Kisses,
Brody
Thank you my Hero. :love7: I will try just for you my Prince charming. :D

Love, kisses and hugs,

Jade :daisy:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh my tiny jade, my 12 week old lucy is so much bigger than you!! how adorable, she is just so delicate and pretty!
Thank you Ahra! We are going to start giving her growth hormones. :wink: (Only jokin' in case someone takes that serious, lol). She's a little pistol for her size! I have to watch her constantly to keep her from killin' herself!

Awww she is so tiny and cute. I'm glad you know what to do to take the best care of her.
Thank you! :)

Oh little Jade - you are just too cute! I promise to make you more sweaters if you eat!!! :)
Thank you Ann! I feel like I'm feeding her way to much, but that's what the Vet said to do. :lol: Her little tummy feels so stuffed after each feeding. But it is keeping her battery charged, so I'm gonna keep on, keepin' on. :lol:

We adore these little sweaters! :D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come on Little Jade....eat, eat and eat some more! We love you!!!!
Teresa she is so lucky to have a caring and loving mommy like you. I am sure you feel just as lucky to have found HER too!
Awww, thank you Pam! :D I just love my little sweeties with all of my heart. They are all so very precious to me. You know that feeling. :love7:

I do feel very lucky to have found Ms. Jade. :daisy:

3,132 Posts
She is too cute for words!!! I hope you can find a way to make eating more appealing for her! She doesn't have much room to not eat, her little body will waste away! We sure don't want that!!! Where did you find such a teeny tiny? I'd be so afraid I'd squish her with just my finger! lol

She is so darn cute, love the sweater! :D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She is too cute for words!!! I hope you can find a way to make eating more appealing for her! She doesn't have much room to not eat, her little body will waste away! We sure don't want that!!! Where did you find such a teeny tiny? I'd be so afraid I'd squish her with just my finger! lol

She is so darn cute, love the sweater! :D
Thank you Kim! :) I think once her mouth gets bigger she won't mind eating as much. Her whole head is the size of a strawberry right now. She works 1 piece of kibble around in her mouth for 5 minutes just trying to break it up. She was using all of her energy just trying to eat. :lol: Poor baby. :(

I was looking into re-homing a male Chi pup, and that turned out to be crazy. It's a long story, but I was getting the run around. The pup was 18 months old, cute as a button. We had everything arranged, a scheduled pick up date, and his owner and I talked frequently. But I wasn't ever able to get any concrete info. from her on his health and history. The more questions I asked the more distant she became, and I chose to stop contact with her. Anyway, I saw a local ad during all of this, and while I was instantly in love I wanted to follow through with my plan of doing a re-home to an adult pup who needed love and care. When it fell through I went right back to the ad and little Jade was still available. It worked out great because she was local, and I really like her breeder. :)

1 finger is about all it takes to pet her. :lol: She's so fragile you feel like you are going to hurt her just picking her up.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Teresa... Glad to here you have that little peanuts diet under
control. Yep... It's one of the nightmares of us having those tinys for sure. I'm so glad she has past the lb mark, that is a huge deal!! What kibble was the breeder feeding her.
Lori

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just adore Jade, she is the cutest thing!! I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to put some of her kibble in a ziplock bag and hit it with a mallet a few times just to break it into smaller pieces that would fit her better. Maybe even mix it with some nutri cal? Such a sweet baby and nearly 2 years old!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Aw, baby Jade, you sweet thing. You must have been a wreck while her little legs were giving out. Eat pumpkin, eat. I'm still thrilled you've got her over a lb. and you are so good at knowing what these "tinys" need. Kiss her and I'll say a little grow prayer for her tonight!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts