Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well how embarrassin iv just got back from an open show i took jacob to he is normally great and he was and he walked in the ring fine but when it got to the point when judge had to look over him he went loopy and started growling and showing his teeth i was so embarrassed he has never reacted this way everyone is saying its coz i spoil him to much and now i feel like iv failed him big time he normally loves showing its got me real worried iv invested so much cash and time and effort into showing as we both find it great fun but i dont know how to stop this from happening he has a champ show sat and im so worried he will do it then any advice will be great guys :oops: :cry:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Vicki , maybe it was just a one off ! maybe he was not feeling 100% ?
or maybe he was really hot ?

Was he ok with everyone else ? just not with this one judge ?

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah he was fine he has been a bit snappy latelt when he sits on my lap and other dogs come near everyone says its his way of protecting me and i do tell him its wrong he has been up since 7am i left his bath til then so he has had bath been pulled about to be brushed and our class was not til half 1 and we got there at 8 but he has slept in his crate all morning but maybe this was the reason but i dont get why the judge? he was fine with everyone else giving them cuddles

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Well even the best show dogs in the world have off days :? This was probably his. He may have not like the judge :?: Not to worry he will do fine. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I agree, dogs can have bad days too just like us. I know I tend to snap at people when I am in a bad mood...lol...I am sure its no different with dogs. Go about your normal rotine and see how he does.
Not to worry you too much right now, but some dogs just dont do well in shows. You will just have to watch him and see if he is still having fun :) Just dont get anxious when the judge looks at him because he will sense that and that will throw him off too.
Good luck!!!!
-Jessica

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think thats part of the prob to be honest i get really nervous and he can sense it and he just wants to protect his mummy! he is a good little lad really all the time and he stil loves showing you can tell that by the way he constantly shows off it may be because i have 4 bitches and 1 neatured dog he wants to take place as top dog plus he is 9 months he has hit the teenage stage :wink:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Could you try having another handler show him next week and see how he responds to the judge ? It sure sounds like he was protecting you......such a little man !

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was going to suggest his hormones. I'm sure there were some female dogs (sorry...I just can't call them bitches) in heat around there. Maybe that threw him for a loop. :?:

When he's on your lap, and acts that way to your other dogs, do you tell him "No" or let him know that is incorrect behavior? I'd ask other breeders how they handle the same issues with their dogs. Get some tips. You don't want that to become something he does all the time....in or out of the show ring.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i really dont want to put him with another handler im doing the showing as me and jake both really enjoy it and we are learning together if i get a handler it kinda defeats the object of it all i think my pug x bitch has come into season well is begingin to he wont leave her alone could this be the reason for his behaviour he is around females all the time? anyway im hoping its a one off im gonna give him extra training this week and gets friends and family etc to go over him like a judge would wil keep you all updated

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
chihuahua-lady said:
i think my pug x female dog has come into season well is begingin to he wont leave her alone could this be the reason for his behaviour he is around females all the time?
I'm sure that would make him behave odd :?

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah and i spoke to a chi breeder and he said that between 8 and 14 months is when they have terrible teens stage lol and he is trying to find if he is going to be boss they said i wi;l be able to stop it iv just gotta be firm would be easy if he wernt such a cutie lol im sure it wont last he has such a great lively friendly little attitude thats why it shocked me so much

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she is on a diet so she can be neatured but she is to over weight at the moment and try putting a pug on a deit not the easiest thing in the world

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks all iv had my dad and my new b.f well made them go over him like a judge a few ties and he has been fine we think now that it may be when he is being naughty my dad says NO and points at him and my dad says he has always bit my dads finger! the cheeky little thing! and my dad has never said its wrong to him so he thinks he mr big time ha he will learn taking him to windsor in a bit should be fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts