Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I am mom to 2 Chi's Jasper a 6 yr old rescue and Auggie an 18 mo old, whom I have had since he was a baby. Jasper is over weight at 11 lbs and Auggie is a tiny one at 4 lbs. Jasper is neutered and Auggie is not. Jasper has been with me for over 3 years now.

Recently, my boys have become aggressive with each other. and sometimes become physical. I am disabled and spend the majority of my time sitting, with both boys near me. I have not figured out what the trigger is, but all of the sudden the boys will start fighting. Common denominator is that is always happens on the bed, where both of them sleep with me, and usually occurs at bedtime. I can't determine who is starting the aggressive behavior, although Jasper is known to growl at the cat and the grandkids when they get on the bed with me or get near him, anywhere. But I have not ruled Auggie out as the aggressor in these situations.

I am very concerned for Auggie, since he is so much smaller than Jasper, And I am looking for any insight or help to resolve this.

A side note: I always break the fights up, of course, but I have noticed that after 1 of these fights Auggie will go of and pout, for lack of a better term, he will go under the bed and refuse to come out.

Thanks to any and all of you that will advise me.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Avoiding the trigger is the answer, so maybe even for a few nights change where they sleep - they have to earn being on the bed, so when they get on and behave give them a treat - the minute they start being aggressive off the bed - it will take time though.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Firstly I'd get auggie neutered asap.

Secondly off the bed by sleeping on the bed they become level with you in the pack it should be a privilege I'd crate them both separately at night (if you don't crate them they will just help themselves) do you discipline them for fighting?? They both need to become submissive afterwards pinning them on tier side will work but I couldn't pin down two dogs at once.

How often do you walk them? Tired dogs won't fight if it's normally at bed time I would walk them before bed so they don't have the energy to fight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

It sounds to me, like my biggest problem here is not the boys, but the behaviors that I have allowed. Thanks for the wake up!

Thus far, I have been separating them, and giving them a serious "no," but nothing more than that. Fortunately the are both small enough that I believe that I could pin them both at the same time, and they are both compliant enough that when i separate them the fight stops. My next step will be to pin them and then remove them from the bed. A time out off the bed has been a great tool for Jasper. I guess that I haven't done it with either one for the fighting, because I was trying to determine which one was instigating. I am guessing that, that is not the issue. I have so much to learn!

I have never tried crating either of them, and wonder about anyone's thoughts on trying to start now.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have this problem particularly involving food, my boy is rather passive and he's just happy to have a treat, or toy etc, and my girl is greedy and demanding. I have had to start splitting them during feeding, and treat time. It's somewhat inconvenient but they can both enjoy their time and be relaxed.

I think crating is a wonderful idea. My little boy is 4 months old this coming week and while he isn't super thrilled about being in there are first he's safe and secure and can sleep tight.

Before we moved my girl LOVED going in her kennel at night, we'd say it's bedtime and she'd go right in. She's nervous of it now at the new house so we've let her have the run of the sofa at night, but I wish I hadn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts