Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Was just curious.... I was reading up on merles and noticed that Jax has spots on him that look similar to this type of chihuahua. His ears have blueish/black spotting as well as the top of his head and throughout his body (tail, hind legs....)

His eyes are also blue in the center with brown on the lining it. I thought they were just in the process of turning to brown, but they seem to be a little more blue than before. Not a light blue, but a deep blue. He is 4 months and 2 weeks so I am assuming they will stay like this? Judging that they haven't changed at all, if any more blue...??

I took a BUNCH of pictures, the best Jax would let me. ;)

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!!!

**From the back I think his ears look like butterfly wings....

A spot on his hind leg

I tried to take a pic of his eye... best I could get

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm no expert, but it sure looks like he had merle in his lineage somewhere. Besides being just darn cute too. I like his butterfly ears. That's cool.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It really does look like he could possibly be a merle.

Were either of his parents merle? Do you have any pictures of them.

Either a chi has or doesn't have the merle gene, which will always express itself at some point (meaning a light colored chi will have spotting at birth which can fade as they grow older).

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I don't know anything about this I just wanted to say your boy is 4 month old now. They do grow up fast.

And I have the same laptop. :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
His ears do look like they have some merle colouring. He is just adorable though, whatever his background is. I love the butterfly wings!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm.... here is a page all about merle colors and how they can look: http://www.ashgi.org/color/white_aussies.htm

Apparently as long as he has color in his ears and around the eyes he shouldn't be deaf in the colored ear or have serious vision problems.
Thank you for the site... Jax does has the "mascara" around his eyes. I think it looks more like eyeliner myself. ;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great comments- glad you like his "wings!" Now that I point it out everyone goes nuts over them! They really have become rather interesting with his markings as he has grown.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really does look like he could possibly be a merle.

Were either of his parents merle? Do you have any pictures of them.

Either a chi has or doesn't have the merle gene, which will always express itself at some point (meaning a light colored chi will have spotting at birth which can fade as they grow older).
Here is a pic of the parents... maybe a previous line? i have his family tree, i could always look into it....

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would look more into his lineage. Then you could determine where the merling is in there or not. That would be the easiest way to tell.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help... i've been looking into his family tree but can't seem to find anything. his mother's side is defined by color, however his father's isn't. is there anyway to do a test... sorry if that is a silly question! :D I'm not planning on breeding, just wondering about health issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts