Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She threw up once Thursday night, then twice more Friday morning before I went to work. I almost took her with me, but since she stopped puking completely for a good hour before I left, and because I had a short day, I didn't. She was fine Friday and Friday night, but she threw up again, twice, this morning. (Saturday)

Once Friday morning, and again this morning, it looked like it had some food particles in it. The rest of time it was just frothy. Each episode she only threw up a quarter sized patch. She's acting normally otherwise, frisky and hyper as usual, eating well, drinking lots. I've really watched her water intake because I don't want her getting dehydrated.

Neither of the dogs has weak stomachs, or any sensitivities to food.....but then again, their diets are VERY controlled so they don't get random food. The only change in Jazz's diet a couple days before this was a treat that I gave both her and Tango, a dried sweet potato wrapped in chicken. They've had sweet potato before, and chicken jerky before, but never both together. That's the only dietary change.

I'm not freaking out or anything, but it is a little worrisome because she's not done this before and I'm not sure what could be causing it. If the sweet potato/chicken treat had anything to do with it, I would think it would have been well out of her system by now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
852 Posts
That is strange, I don't think it would be the treat if it was a few days after your gave it to her. If that were the problem, I'd expect it to cause diarrhoea instead.

As you probably know, if its frothy then that means there was nothing in the stomach to throw up, apart from a few food particles, so it doesn't sound like its food related.

Could there have been anything on the floor, in the garden or while you were out walking?

It sounds like whatever the cause was, its over now. Very weird though!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is she vomiting before or after eating? If it's early in the morning right before breakfast it's possible she had a buildup of acid in her stomach causing her to urp a little. Then her tummy feels better after a meal with food to soak up the acid.

Just a thought.

Glad she's still feeling perky!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is she vomiting before or after eating? If it's early in the morning right before breakfast it's possible she had a buildup of acid in her stomach causing her to urp a little. Then her tummy feels better after a meal with food to soak up the acid.

Just a thought.

Glad she's still feeling perky!!!
Thanks Olivia. Yeah, it's mainly in the a.m. and usually before she eats (I feed them morning and night.) The first time she threw up on Friday morning, it had food particles in it. After that it was just frothy. I gave her an infant dose of Mylicon because I'm aware that frothy urp often equals an acid/gas problem.

Tango, a couple years ago, had a pretty nasty episode of copious amounts of very frothy throw-up, every hour or so, which really freaked me out. I rushed him to the Vet, spent several hundred dollars on tests, and finally she just told me to give him Mylicon for relief of the symptoms because he was checking out perfectly normal. Worked like a charm.

If it is just a gas problem, I'm wondering why, when there's been no change in her diet, routine, environment.....iow nothing that I can isolate that caused the problem.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have to give my pomeranian a 'midnight' snack as late as possible or he pukes in the morning (empty stomach) some dogs just do that, barf on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Is it possible that the puking is from the timed feedings? Does their morning meal usually come at an exact time? And the evening meal too? Our old dog would vomit frothy/bile when his tummy was expecting more food, so we had to start staggering feeding times and that helped immensely. Another time, his sister was vomiting anything she ate and we fasted her for 24hrs (with pedalyte and karo syrup - even tho she was a 40lb dog - as her only intake) because she had a stomach virus (damned dog park water!!).

Goodluck with little Jazz! Sometimes their size make us worry more, but I would try these things and watch. As long as he does not act sick otherwise (lethargic, not wanting to eat, etc) I wouldn't worry as long as you keep him hydrated and his sugars up.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your concern, and your input. She seems fine this morning, no vomiting at all so far. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but it's perplexing nonetheless. Their environment is VERY controlled, so to have this just start happening out of the blue, with no apparent or obvious cause is making me just a bit anxious. Of course I'll take her to the Vet if this continues because I don't like being worried. Plus her yearly wellness check/vaccines appointment is coming up in 3 -4 weeks, so she'll be checked very thoroughly when we go for that appointment.

Y'know, I raised 5 kids and thought my days of worry and concern and anxiety for little ones was over when they became adults and moved out. Boy, was I ever wrong! :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks Olivia. Yeah, it's mainly in the a.m. and usually before she eats (I feed them morning and night.) The first time she threw up on Friday morning, it had food particles in it. After that it was just frothy.
I have to give my pomeranian a 'midnight' snack as late as possible or he pukes in the morning (empty stomach) some dogs just do that, barf on an empty stomach.
Is it possible that the puking is from the timed feedings? Does their morning meal usually come at an exact time? And the evening meal too? Our old dog would vomit frothy/bile when his tummy was expecting more food, so we had to start staggering feeding times and that helped immensely.
I think everyone is on to something here. It COULD be that her stomach is acidic in the mornings because it is empty. That would explain the frothy vomit. Some dogs get so used to routine, being fed at the same time, same food, etc. that their stomachs start to produce acid in anticipation of a meal. If that happens a little early, there ya go - a bile vomit.

I'd give her a snack right before bed as Heather suggested. A midnight snack! That may be enough to keep her tummy occupied until morning. Couldn't hurt and might help! :)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Is it possible that the puking is from the timed feedings? Does their morning meal usually come at an exact time? And the evening meal too? Our old dog would vomit frothy/bile when his tummy was expecting more food, so we had to start staggering feeding times and that helped immensely. Another time, his sister was vomiting anything she ate and we fasted her for 24hrs (with pedalyte and karo syrup - even tho she was a 40lb dog - as her only intake) because she had a stomach virus (damned dog park water!!).

Goodluck with little Jazz! Sometimes their size make us worry more, but I would try these things and watch. As long as he does not act sick otherwise (lethargic, not wanting to eat, etc) I wouldn't worry as long as you keep him hydrated and his sugars up.

Sorry Jazz has had an upset tummy though it sounds as though it was improving thank gooness! I will agree with the above though. Before we did raw Matilda was very quick to throw up if I was a little late in feeding from our "schedule". Once the feedings got sporadic she was fine. We even fed raw once a day & she had no issues. Now that we're on dehydrated raw most of the time I'm sure to mix up schedules so we don't run into that problem again. Plus it keeps manners at bay. If we're on a schedule Milo will start whining an hour before hand until I feed. LOL So with the mixing it up...he doesn't know when to start. ;)

Anyway...I hope she has no more issues!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, Jazz has continued to throw up here and there. I've taken what you've all said under advisement, and watched to see if there's any pattern, other than what I've already discussed. I think you might be on to something.

They get fed morning and evening, at more or less the same time. But there are variations in that schedule, depending on whether or not it's a weekend, what day of the week it is etc., because my schedule varies. Several days a week I get home from work, am home for a while and then leave again, which means they get fed their evening food between 6 - 7. But last night was one of those evenings I didn't go out, so they got fed later in the evening. And guess what? About an hour after Jazz would normally have been fed if I wasn't going to stay home, she did her frothy vomit thing. And the same thing happened on the weekend, too, in the morning. Weekdays they're fed around 7.30 a.m. right before I leave for work. But on the weekends I don't have to rush out the door so early, so my mornings are lazier, which means they tend to get fed later in the a.m. And that's when Jazz threw up, again an hour or so AFTER she would typically have been fed.

I'm going to continue to monitor this but I'm beginning to think it's nothing more than a sensitivity to when she's fed. That's fascinating to me, I would never have suspected a cause as simple. I've never even HEARD of that before!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts